Joe Saunders update

wildcard

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah- I would not give up Matusz. He may have excelled in relief, and that may be his 2013 role again, but his ceiling is still much greater than that.
I maintain that when Matusz returned in August, he had fixed his mechanics and was a different pitcher. RHB went 0 for 17 against him in August and September. There's no way to prove that he can carry over his new mechanics and approach into a starting role, unless you try him there. I've said the chance he could be a no. 2 or 3 starter are probably less than 50%, but they are far north of zero IMO. Therefore I have no problem stretching him out in spring training and getting a better read on things.
The rest of your post is legit, but I disagree here. I mean you did see him fearlessly K Jason Hamilton on 3 pitches in a playoff game, did you not? To me, I hadn't seen that type of swagger in his body language since 2010.

I really don't see how the rest of the post is legit. Yeah, the numbers vs. RHB are correct but it doesn't factor in the changes he made after being sent down.

And the first part of the post is revisionist history.

Matusz beat the Rays...TWICE. He also beat the Yankees whose lineup included RHB Jeter, ARod, Texeira, and Martin. He also beat the R Sox striking out nine and giving up only two hits. Their lineup included Youk before he was traded and Middlebrooks before he got hurt. He also beat KC who many would say had a better hitting team than the TB team he beat without Longoria.

To say he had one legitimate win to make your point is beyond ridiculous. He hasn't been consistent. You can say that. He hasn't had sustained success getting RHB out in his career. Recently, however, as in our push to the playoffs he got out just about anyone they sent up against him.

He got righties out pretty well at the end of 2010. I've been in the camp for a while that most of what's been wrong with Brian has been between his ears. I also think he might be over that.

Re your earlier point about guys stepping up...I think that might actually be an argument FOR Saunders. Because he costs less, the FO might be more likely to let a younger kid move ahead in the rotation if they deserve it. Makes him easier to trade if necessary too.

Completely with you on this one. I have faith that Matusz will turn the corner and be who we thought he would be in 2010.

He can only pull off a neck beard. Sorry.

Yeah, I think facial hair is out for Brian. Maybe some skull glasses and a Ricky Vaughn haircut.

In all seriousness, he needs to keep pitching with confidence like he did down the stretch and everyone will be afraid of him. He was throwing fastballs down the middle of the plate to MVP candidates and getting swinging strikes.

Yeah, I think facial hair is out for Brian. Maybe some skull glasses and a Ricky Vaughn haircut.

In all seriousness, he needs to keep pitching with confidence like he did down the stretch and everyone will be afraid of him. He was throwing fastballs down the middle of the plate to MVP candidates and getting swinging strikes.

creepy-brian-matusz.jpg

He got righties out pretty well at the end of 2010. I've been in the camp for a while that most of what's been wrong with Brian has been between his ears. I also think he might be over that.

Re your earlier point about guys stepping up...I think that might actually be an argument FOR Saunders. Because he costs less, the FO might be more likely to let a younger kid move ahead in the rotation if they deserve it. Makes him easier to trade if necessary too.

You're right. He did have two good months at the end of 2010. I hope I'm wrong about him but I'm afraid the little success he's had agains RHers is very SSS. I guess time will tell.

I really don't know what to expect from Matusz in 2013. A lot of his problems in the past were location, especially with the fastball. Was his increased velocity due to better mechanics or a result of working out of the BP? You can get away with a little more throwing 94-96, then you can throwing 89-91. If he can't sustain that velocity or locate better, he will never amount to much more then depth as a SP. Now, throwing 94 out of the BP, may still allow him a successful ML career. We'll see. But i'm in the camp that believes Matusz will never achieve his #1 or 2 starter status. He might get to that 3/4 starter.

I really don't know what to expect from Matusz in 2013. A lot of his problems in the past were location, especially with the fastball. Was his increased velocity due to better mechanics or a result of working out of the BP? You can get away with a little more throwing 94-96, then you can throwing 89-91. If he can't sustain that velocity or locate better, he will never amount to much more then depth as a SP. Now, throwing 94 out of the BP, may still allow him a successful ML career. We'll see. But i'm in the camp that believes Matusz will never achieve his #1 or 2 starter status. He might get to that 3/4 starter.

I watched Tommy Hunter and Brian Matusz do long toss from fence to fence. Hunter was on a rope. Matusz had a running start and did not quite make it. I am sure Brian building up his upper body helped him with velosity. I just want to know how the rectus was involved. Was this a long term lingering injury? When did he tear it an why was he ok out of the pen with it.

I am strongly of the opinion that Matusz will need to locate extremely well to succeed, but if he does locate well, the fact that he's not in the upper echelon velocity wise will hardly matter at all. Matusz's velocity as a starter in 2012 was 1-2 mph higher than it was when he was successful in 2010, yet his results were worse.

You're right. He did have two good months at the end of 2010. I hope I'm wrong about him but I'm afraid the little success he's had agains RHers is very SSS. I guess time will tell.

Small sample for sure...and he stunk up the joint the entire next season. I think he's got the tools and I'm hoping that his exile time in the minors was a wake up call about conditioning and approach. I could be 100% wrong on what it means for 2013 though!

Might just need to get beat up an scarred Ed Norton 25th hour style to make him look tougher. 100% on the confidence.

Archived