O's trade Ronnie Welty to Phillies for Julio Rodriguez

andrewrickli

Rodriguez will go to AA Bowie

Over 5 seasons...

He is 31-20 with a 3.29 ERA, 444.1 IP, 494 K's, 1.186 WHIP, 10.1 K/9, 0.6 HR/9

In 2011 at A+ (equivalent to Frederick) he went 16-7 with a 2.76 ERA, over 156 IP, 168 K's, 1.009 WHIP, and 9.7 K/9

He looks good, better than Welty.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rodriguez will go to AA Bowie

Over 5 seasons...

He is 31-20 with a 3.29 ERA, 444.1 IP, 494 K's, 1.186 WHIP, 10.1 K/9, 0.6 HR/9

In 2011 at A+ (equivalent to Frederick) he went 16-7 with a 2.76 ERA, over 156 IP, 168 K's, 1.009 WHIP, and 9.7 K/9

He looks good, better than Welty.

I honestly haven't heard of either of these guys. Here's hoping he sticks.

Apparently a 90 mph guy, which in the absense of really good secondaries, probably means he's the MR Law says. With numbers like that though, he can probably pitch. I like this trade. Welty looks like a player, but doesn't produce like one. Phils taking a chance on upside. O's looking for more pitching depth to hand over to Peterson.

Stats look really good and he has good size. Odd that he's not listed in BA's prospect book amongst Phillies top 30 prospects. It makes sense in the regard that Welty isn't one of the O's top thirty. His fastball must be short?

He was 17th in 2012, dropped out of the top 30 this year.

Stats look really good and he has good size. Odd that he's not listed in BA's prospect book amongst Phillies top 30 prospects. It makes sense in the regard that Welty isn't one of the O's top thirty. His fastball must be short?

Depends on who you ask, but basically yeah. Probably a 88-90 guy in MLB. Gets a lot of swing and miss with breaking stuff that might not play up. A shift to the pen is likely at some point but he's young enough to keep running him out as a starter for now and seeing if he can adjust.

Rick Peterson....come on down!

I'm all for Peterson getting his hands on young pitchers with some potential. The kid's stats look pretty good, and I think this was a decent move as Welty is probably nothing more than minor-league filler at this point. I dunno...maybe I'm discounting Welty a bit...

I definitely like this trade. Welty was going to have a hard time cracking Bowie's outfield this year so getting something of value for him is a great job. Joe Jordan always did like Welty a bit so he'll get more of an opportunity over there. Good trade for the O's though.

Archived