Per Roch: Roberts to rejoin Orioles this weekend

srock

One thing is for sure...there will be a lot fewer DP's because BRob doesn't have the arm strength! He better be hitting well because I am not happy about the let down in defense. I realize 2b has been a hole offensively but the O is not a problem for this team!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see Roberts have a storybook comeback, and provide another potent bat. I just worry he's going to be playing the Samuel L. Jackson role in "Unbreakable". But then what's the plan for next year?

Roberts' 4-year, $40 mil contract is wrapping up. If he plays well for the rest of this year, he'll want more money than he's probably worth. If he plays badly or gets hurt again, he won't get re-signed. I'd rather start grooming somebody now for the future. Keeping Roberts at DH will keep him from injury, and I think at this point Flaherty is probably quicker and has softer hands.

Casilla? No. He was given multiple shots with the Twins, and failed. Nor is he "hitting well" lately. He's 6 for his last 34, though that timely homer seems to have brought out the rose-colored glasses.

Schoop? I'd say not yet. A .331 OBP and .717 OPS at AAA this year doesn't bode well against major-league pitching.

I hated seeing "auto-out" Flaherty up there the first third of the season, but lately he's hitting the ball solidly and fielding whatever comes his way. I think we should let him play at second until he shows he shouldn't be there. Right now, he's the best we've got.

I would love to see Roberts have a storybook comeback, and provide another potent bat. I just worry he's going to be playing the Samuel L. Jackson role in "Unbreakable". But then what's the plan for next year?

Roberts' 4-year, $40 mil contract is wrapping up. If he plays well for the rest of this year, he'll want more money than he's probably worth. If he plays badly or gets hurt again, he won't get re-signed. I'd rather start grooming somebody now for the future. Keeping Roberts at DH will keep him from injury, and I think at this point Flaherty is probably quicker and has softer hands.

Casilla? No. He was given multiple shots with the Twins, and failed. Nor is he "hitting well" lately. He's 6 for his last 34, though that timely homer seems to have brought out the rose-colored glasses.

Schoop? I'd say not yet. A .331 OBP and .717 OPS at AAA this year doesn't bode well against major-league pitching.

I hated seeing "auto-out" Flaherty up there the first third of the season, but lately he's hitting the ball solidly and fielding whatever comes his way. I think we should let him play at second until he shows he shouldn't be there. Right now, he's the best we've got.

I know BRob is a fan favorite, but given his age and questions about health/durability and he's at the end of his contract and will want $$$$$.

Maybe the best option is to trade him for the best offer on the table?????

I know BRob is a fan favorite, but given his age and questions about health/durability and he's at the end of his contract and will want $$$$$.

You aren't going to get anything for an oft-injured, slightly-below average fielding, 35 year old second baseman who is still owed 5M more dollars for this season.

I think the best thing to do is let him DH against RHP and get him the occasional start at 2B.

It's not like other teams are naive to Roberts' history of recent injuries. I can't imagine many teams even being interested, let alone giving up anything other than a fringe ML player or two.

You keep Roberts instead of trading him for pennies on the dollar.

He still is only hitting 208 for the season with a 600 ops. Ok he is on a hot streak right now but I'd still rather see Brob then pulling out my heair with an automatic out when this streak cools.

Check this out:

Ryan Flaherty got on base for the first time this season in his 18th plate appearance, on April 10, his final plate appearance of that game (his 5th game, the team's 8th game). He hit a single.

So yes, it took him a little while to get something going this season. But since that hit (not including it), he is hitting .227/.297/.367/.664.

Matt Wieters got on base for the first time this season in his 1st plate appearance, on April 2 (first game of the season). He hit a home run.

Since that hit (not including it), he is hitting .227/.287/.323/.610.

Ever since Flaherty woke up with his first hit, he has been hitting better than Wieters has been on the season. Flaherty also has only hit into 1 double play, Wieters has hit into 6. Now, I know what you're thinking, Wieters has Adam Jones and Chris Davis getting on base in front of him, and he's batting higher so he has more plate appearances, and therefore more opportunities to hit into double plays. Well, the thing is, Wieters is hitting into double plays 10.3% of the time when he comes to bat with a runner on first and less than 2 outs (58 plate appearances). Flaherty, in 36 plate appearances, is hitting into the double play at a rate of 2.8%.

I know, nobody cares about any of this. I just like Flaherty, so sue me haha.

Check this out:

Ryan Flaherty got on base for the first time this season in his 18th plate appearance, on April 10, his final plate appearance of that game (his 5th game, the team's 8th game). He hit a single.

So yes, it took him a little while to get something going this season. But since that hit (not including it), he is hitting .227/.297/.367/.664.

Matt Wieters got on base for the first time this season in his 1st plate appearance, on April 2 (first game of the season). He hit a home run.

Ever since Flaherty woke up with his first hit, he has been hitting better than Wieters has been on the season. Flaherty also has only hit into 1 double play, Wieters has hit into 6. Now, I know what you're thinking, Wieters has Adam Jones and Chris Davis getting on base in front of him, and he's batting higher so he has more plate appearances, and therefore more opportunities to hit into double plays. Well, the thing is, Wieters is hitting into double plays 10.3% of the time when he comes to bat with a runner on first and less than 2 outs (58 plate appearances). Flaherty, in 36 plate appearances, is hitting into the double play at a rate of 2.8%.

Excellent post... Wieters and the multi-headed DH have been a bigger drag on the offense than Flaherty. Flaherty is playing great defense. I want him at 2B every night.

Let BRob play at DH until he either gets injured or proves he can't OPS bettern than .650, which is about what I think his ceiling is.

The injuries that BRob has had over the last 4 years robbed him of the graceful degradation in his skills that would have occurred naturally. He would have been down to a spot starter, utility infielder by now anyway.

Now the organization seems to be committed to giving him enough playing time to prove that he is 35 years old, with reduced bat speed, reduced range and reduce arm strength, and can no longer hold down a starting spot on a ML roster (at least not on a team that wants to win).

Hating that he made it back at all.

Have you been watching the last week or so? Dude's on fire.

But I'll take Roberts over Flaherty any day, if he's healthy. Right now it would be totally justified to DH Flaherty against righties. He's a hotter LH bat than Ishi or Dickerson.

Why would you ever want Roberts in the field and Flaherty DHing?

I'm so tired of Flaherty's bat that I'm actually looking forward to Roberts, but when healthy I bet they'd both put up a negative WAR over 162 games.

his last two weeks, he has 34 AB, 12 hits, 5 funs, 3 HR and 6 RBIS. .353 / .405 / .617 (Source CBS Fantasy Sports)

Check this out:

I get you and if we were talking about an upgrade at catcher thats one thing. Wieters with the bat is a huge disappointment with what he should have been. Anyone saying differntly is fooling themselves. I think Matt should be batting 8th but it would be nice to put Brob in there even if he has a 725 is ops because he is good on the basepaths and imo even now has more thump then Ryan. I guess we will see though, it's not like we are replacing a player thats hitting 250 and 700 ops and looks like the future. The guy even with his hot streak has a 600 ops hello IZZY!

Have you been watching the last week or so? Dude's on fire.
his last two weeks, he has 34 AB, 12 hits, 5 funs, 3 HR and 6 RBIS. .353 / .405 / .617 (Source CBS Fantasy Sports)

BABIP by month:

April .154

May .226

June .327

A few home runs and some better luck aren't going to persuade me. His offense sucks. His ISO is actually lower this year, so far.

Agree.. I fear that BRob will be a distraction and will derail the development of Flaherty

BRob only has a career .760 OPS and he is now 35. Even if he was 100% I see .700 has the best he could OPS and with his weak defense I believe he will be a negative for the O's.

Excellent post... Wieters and the multi-headed DH have been a bigger drag on the offense than Flaherty. Flaherty is playing great defense. I want him at 2B every night.

Let BRob play at DH until he either gets injured or proves he can't OPS bettern than .650, which is about what I think his ceiling is.

The injuries that BRob has had over the last 4 years robbed him of the graceful degradation in his skills that would have occurred naturally. He would have been down to a spot starter, utility infielder by now anyway.

Now the organization seems to be committed to giving him enough playing time to prove that he is 35 years old, with reduced bat speed, reduced range and reduce arm strength, and can no longer hold down a starting spot on a ML roster (at least not on a team that wants to win).

Hating that he made it back at all.

Your posts are humorous the next will have brob at what? What Ryan Flaherty is hitting now 600 ops. Why don't you try posting and stick with what you are saying with out trying to pull some conjured up numbers that keep reducing every post.

Archived