Why no talk of firing Presley?

JTrea81

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right? I love that .235 batting average and that .297 on base percentage! Awesome, man!

Especially when the guy had like the best season in the last 40 years for a minor leaguer...

Makes you wonder what Wieters would have been like for the Red Sox or Yankees had they drafted him...

Once again meaningless information. One team might have score 5 or more runs twice as many times another team. One team might have a median runs scored of 8 whenever they score 5 or more runs another team might have a median of 6 runs when they score 5 or more runs.

Not exactly. The finger is being pointed at pitching and rightly so. Probably a different picture in the past 2 months, but the info isn't meaningless.

I know once Trea gets an idea in his head it will never go away, no matter how illogical it is but let me try this.

You admit that the approach worked tonight. And given the rankings for the team in many offensive categories and situational splits, not to mention their overall win/loss record, it is rather obvious that the approach is working more times than it is not.

You seem to be upset that it does not work all the time.

You do know that nothing is 100% right?

Firing Presley would be simply useless.

It would be high comedy.

It would be so ridiculously stupid that it is hard to put into words.

But hey whatever dude. Keep doing what your doing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Right? I love that .235 batting average and that .297 on base percentage! Awesome, man!

I don't think anyone is denying he is having a really crappy year. But catchers do tend to mature later. He is still a young player and no one denies his raw ability.

He is still a big reason why we are where we are.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

So much animosity over someone's opinion.

Geesh. :rolleyes:

I know it would be tough to admit it at times, but the Orioles batters' hyper-aggressive batting style (i.e. always, always, always going for the homerun instead of getting on base) sometimes costs them games.

We've seen their performance in clutch RISP situations (like yesterday's game against the Giants) and their inability to work the count or recognize bad pitches is horrible.

Just sayin...

MSK

Trying to keep this on the subject - what we saw today was the example of the Orioles' hitting philosophy winning out, however the 8th inning was an example of how even in a 10 run game they missed an opportunity to score more.

Teams like the Rays and Tigers will shut down that power, and the Orioles will have to figure out to win without it, something they have yet to show they can do as they've lost an overwhelming amount of games where they score less than 4 runs, and considering those teams stand in the way of the Orioles reaching the World Series, it is not trolling to say that this offense will not be able to beat those teams consistently with their current hitting philosophy.

I think it may well be trolling to talk about firing Jim Presley because the offense regresses to the mean for a bit. You are probably wise to find a different windmill right now.

So much animosity over someone's opinion.

Geesh. :rolleyes:

I know it would be tough to admit it at times, but the Orioles batters' hyper-aggressive batting style (i.e. always, always, always going for the homerun instead of getting on base) sometimes costs them games.

We've seen their performance in clutch RISP situations (like yesterday's game against the Giants) and their inability to work the count or recognize bad pitches is horrible.

Just sayin...

MSK

But you would not fire this hitting coach. Right?

Well played. Eat that one Moose. :)

I suppose you missed my initial reply.

Some people would be pissed if we got a multi time all-star catcher who his 20 bombs a year and wins gold gloves, instead of the player their mommy said we drafted. Can't satisfy everyone.

It's not even about that, man. You're making Grand Canyon sized leaps of conclusions here. I'm not saying I expected him to be the best hitting catcher ever, but I didn't certainly expect THIS. I'm fine with finding a happy medium, say .260/.335 but that seems like a far reach for him now.

Sure, he's got a little power if and when he actually connects solidly with the ball, it might leave the park. Yes, he's a nice defender, I'm not taking that away from him.

But tell me that you're totally fine with giving someone, ANYONE 424 plate appearances this year to a tune of a .293 on base percentage. However, since he squats behind home plate and throws out runners at a good rate, I'm supposed to be happy about it? Please. If we were getting that same offensive output from third base there'd be thread after thread about how we need to get rid of him.

And it's not like he's gotten better over his career like SilentJames would like to think, he's regressed.

Tony warned us about his lack of bat speed way back when and a lot of people (myself included) didn't take it seriously. Looks like he was right.

Archived