Catching Tampa Bay? Sure, why not?

orioleslist

There's another team that is currently 2 and-a-half games ahead of Tampa Bay for the #1 wildcard spot, and only 2 games behind the Athletics in the A.L. West.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/136137-Ranger-Danger?p=3281774#post3281774

I don't think that the Orioles will catch them (we'll have a hard enough time catching the Rays), but they have lost 7 out of their last 9 games, and have a very tough schedule for their next 11 games before they get a 3-game set with the Astros from September 23rd-25th.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's another team that is currently 2 and-a-half games ahead of Tampa Bay for the #1 wildcard spot, and only 2 games behind the Athletics in the A.L. West.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/136137-Ranger-Danger?p=3281774#post3281774

I don't think that the Orioles will catch them (we'll have a hard enough time catching the Rays), but they have lost 7 out of their last 9 games, and have a very tough schedule for their next 11 games before they get a 3-game set with the Astros from September 23rd-25th.

And they have a recent history of fading in September.

Still think it will take 91 wins to make the playoffs? I don't really see anyone stepping up and grabbing the brass ring at this point, though I must admit, Cleveland has the easiest schedule by far.

Yes. There are too many teams to assume that none of them are going to step up and make a run. One of these teams is going to win 8 of 10 soon, and it needs to be the O's.

I wonder what the folks at RaysHangout think of their recent play. Then again, they probably don't have a place to discuss. They have no fans.

LOL RaysHangout. Apparently, Dick Vitale is the Rays biggest fan, and I find it funny to picture him spouting off in the forums about low attendance and the bad Rays offense.

Yes. There are too many teams to assume that none of them are going to step up and make a run. One of these teams is going to win 8 of 10 soon, and it needs to be the O's.

I worry most about the Yanks doing it. They have Arod, Cano, Granderson, Ichiro, Soriano, Reynolds and maybe Jeter back-tough lineup. If their pitchings gets itself together-CC, Nova, Kuroda, Petite, Rivera, could be tough to beat them.

Tonight was what one might call a wasted opportunity. Up 4-1 against the Yankees and the O's lose. TEX loses. TB loses. CLE loses. They didn't lose ground, but the opportunities are decreasing with fewer games to play.

x2

People got on me last week when I talked about championships being the standard to which I hold my favorite teams. This is part of the reason why. The last two nights have felt like punches to the gut. They haven't been a lot of fun. I haven't enjoyed myself. Some people may enjoy this ride, but I see missed opportunity after missed opportunity and I can't stand the frustration.

My fianc?e said it best, albeit terribly morbid. This O's season is dying slowly, like a shot to the stomach, rather than quickly like a shot to the head.

x2

People got on me last week when I talked about championships being the standard to which I hold my favorite teams. This is part of the reason why. The last two nights have felt like punches to the gut. They haven't been a lot of fun. I haven't enjoyed myself. Some people may enjoy this ride, but I see missed opportunity after missed opportunity and I can't stand the frustration.

My fianc?e said it best, albeit terribly morbid. This O's season is dying slowly, like a shot to the stomach, rather than quickly like a shot to the head.

Which is your fiancee more like? :D

I worry most about the Yanks doing it. They have Arod' date=' Cano, Granderson, Ichiro, Soriano, Reynolds and maybe Jeter back-tough lineup. If their pitchings gets itself together-CC, Nova, Kuroda, Petite, Rivera, could be tough to beat them.[/quote']

A win by the Orioles tonight will have us all feeling much better heading north of the border.

A win by the Yankees and I really think we'll be stuck with the Yanks and Sox in the playoffs again.

I know its just one game, and its not rational thinking, but its just my guy feeling. Tampa is playing like crap. Us and the Indians are gaining slowly but may run out of time. KC is playing the best but they came from a long way back. NY is the one team that has shown significantly better play since all their starters have returned. I'd like to see Cano and Soriano slip in the shower after Batting Practice today! (well, not actually SEE it!) :o

This is semi-delusional,

I know, but I'm not quite ready to give up on the season. I was last night, but today, I looked at the remaining schedule for the teams realistically still in the playoff race, and I see a glimmer of hope.

It's just a glimmer though because we will definitely not catch the Red Sox (we're too far behind) and most probably not Oakland either (even with their meltdown today, they just took 3 out of 4 from Detroit and they have a very soft schedule the rest of the way).

Tampa Bay though... Why not? Yes, seriously, WHY NOT?

After their loss this afternoon, we're 4 1/2 games back of them. Win tonight (yeah, I realize, far from a given...) and that's 4. From September 20-23, we have a 4 game series against them (at Tropicana field). No, we will not sweep them, but take 3 out of 4 and we just have 2 games to make up. How about 1 this weekend when we go to NY to play the Stinkees and they go to Oakland? How about another one from September 5-8 when we host the White Sox for 4 while they play at the Angels and the Mariners? Or perhaps 1 or 2 in the next to last series of the season (we're hosting Toronto; they're at the Stinkees)...

This to say that our respective schedules for the last month of the season are fairly similar in terms of opponents strength, and if we can come out ahead in our 4-game series against them, who knows what could happen?

Okay, I'll admit--this might be way beyond semi-delusional, but for a couple more weeks (days? hours?), I want to believe in miracles again.

Go O's!!!

You were semi-delusional when you started this thread three weeks ago, and you are still semi-delusional.

Alright, I'm ready to back off the 91 game standard to make the playoffs. The Rays and Rangers have fallen off so much that I think 88 will at least hold a share of the 2nd WC. Can the O's go 8-4? Sure. Why not?

I love that the Rays playoff chance dropped 12.5% in one day yesterday. If we can take it to them in the series upcoming we can single handedly cause that -12.5% everyday. :)

Archived