Hangouters 2013 Top-30 prospect lists

Tony-OH

Ceiling for Harvey is a true #1, I think EdRod is more of a mid rotation starter. Harvey has the better FB with more in the tank at a much younger age. From my understanding, Harvey has the better (main)secondary offering with the chance to improve it. I don't think there is much of an argument to be made as far as their ceilings even being remotely close, but the argument would be floor, track record, and proximity to the majors being weighted heavier on a prospect list.

I would say that is probably true. Rodriguez is still quite young though.

Ceiling for Harvey is a true #1, I think EdRod is more of a mid rotation starter. Harvey has the better FB with more in the tank at a much younger age. From my understanding, Harvey has the better (main)secondary offering with the chance to improve it. I don't think there is much of an argument to be made as far as their ceilings even being remotely close, but the argument would be floor, track record, and proximity to the majors being weighted heavier on a prospect list.

The ceiling for Harvey as a #1 is a new phenomenon. It seems to be the product of a great 25 IP this year. If the guys who scouted him saw him as a likely MOR SP, I don't think 25 IP should completely blow those expectations away. That's not to say that he couldn't be a #1, so could EdRod, but I don't want the hype to get too carried away.

Also, you're really overselling the age difference. Harvey is 1 year and 8 months younger. He'll start the year at DEL. EdRod finished this season at AA. Harvey would have to have everything go almost perfectly to be in the same situation. That's something that seems to be overlooked. EdRod finished his age 20 season by dominating AA, after initial struggles.

The ceiling for Harvey as a #1 is a new phenomenon. It seems to be the product of a great 25 IP this year. If the guys who scouted him saw him as a likely MOR SP, I don't think 25 IP should completely blow those expectations away. That's not to say that he couldn't be a #1, so could EdRod, but I don't want the hype to get too carried away.

Also, you're really overselling the age difference. Harvey is 1 year and 8 months younger. He'll start the year at DEL. EdRod finished this season at AA. Harvey would have to have everything go almost perfectly to be in the same situation. That's something that seems to be overlooked. EdRod finished his age 20 season by dominating AA, after initial struggles.

1 year and 8 months is pretty substantial IMO. And ceiling has nothing to do with what level the pitcher pitched at. 1 year and 8 months ago, EdRod was more along the lines of a 88-92 MPH FB guy if I recall. Harvey is 93-97 now with physical projection to possibly add more, if not sit higher in that 93-97 range.

The ceiling is undeniably in Harvey's favor. I think that you could argue that if the national publications thought EdRod was more than a mid rotation arm, he would be ranked higher than he is on prospect lists due to his age/competition level he has been facing, wouldn't you agree?

Great thread, love seeing all the different opinions 11-30.

1.Bundy

2.Gausman

3.Ed Rodriguez

4.Schoop

5.Harvey

6.Urrutia

7.Ohlman

8.Walker

9.Wright

10.Davies

11.Sisco

12.Marin

13.D.Alvarez

14.Berry

15.Kline

16.Parry

17.Reinne

18.Hart

19.Bridwell

20.Moreno

21.Hobgood

22.Horacek

23.Tarpley

24.Mancini

25.Brault

26.Vader

27.T.Wilson

28.D.Jones

29.Rutledge

30.Alvarado

Not sure Stinson qualifies for this list. He had 58 days of service time before this year. What's the cutoff?

A little surprised to see Josh Hart not on OldOrioles list at all. Hindsight might prove that correct but hard to see how a supplemental 1st rounder isn't in the top 30 somewhere.

The cutoff is 45 days of service time. However, I think that only applies for when the 25-man limit is in play (does not include September call-up time). This is as I understand it. Perhaps someone else could shed additional light on it.

You're right, I'm not high on Hart at all. I could be dead wrong here and he's still very, very young. That being said, I watched him in Florida and at Aberdeen and I just don't see what the Orioles saw. For the record, I hope I'm wrong.

1. Kevin Gausman

2. Dylan Bundy

3. Hunter Harvey

4. Jonathan Schoop

5. Eduardo Rodriguez

6. Michael Ohlman

7. Henry Urrutia

8. Mike Wright

9. Christian Walker

10. Adrian Marin

11. Chance Sisco

12. Zach Davies

13. Dariel Alvarez

14. Stephen Tarpley

15. Parker Bridwell

16. Tim Berry

17. Josh Hart

18. Branden Kline

19. Steven Brault

20. Rafael Moreno

21. Luc Rennie

22. Devin Jones

23. Oliver Drake

24. Alex Murphy

25. Wynston Sawyer

26. Trey Mancini

27. Brady Wager

28. Jonah Heim

29. Matt Hobgood

30. Conor Bierfeldt

I couldn't do better than this if I tried. I will say I think the Jason Gurka and Caleb Joseph look like they are going to make the 40 man roster this off season. Whether that is enough to get either one a 20-30 slot I don't know.

I

The cutoff is 45 days of service time. However, I think that only applies for when the 25-man limit is in play (does not include September call-up time). This is as I understand it. Perhaps someone else could shed additional light on it.

You're right, I'm not high on Hart at all. I could be dead wrong here and he's still very, very young. That being said, I watched him in Florida and at Aberdeen and I just don't see what the Orioles saw. For the record, I hope I'm wrong.

Stinson is eligible for the list.

I couldn't do better than this if I tried. I will say I think the Jason Gurka and Caleb Joseph look like they are going to make the 40 man roster this off season. Whether that is enough to get either one a 20-30 slot I don't know.

I'd be shocked if the Orioles added either to the 40-man roster.

Tony, thanks for the clarification. Much like Troy Patton a couple of years ago, is he's eligible I think he's got to make the cut for the Top 30.

I agree since he's in ours. Stinson showed the stuff to be solid 6th or 7th inning guy in the major leagues with an upside of 8th inning setup guy.

I'm just starting to get really into the prospect scene as such, I don't have the depth that most have on here, but I'll post my top 15. I don't know if I can go much deeper and, consequently, am likely overlooking a player or two that should have likely garnered more consideration in the last couple spots on my list. In any case, here are my 1-15:

1. P - Kevin Gausman

2. P - Dylan Bundy (could jump Gausman once he proves the surgery was successful)

3. INF - Jonathan Schoop

4. P - Eduardo Rodriguez

5. P - Hunter Harvey

6. P - Mike Wright

7. OF - Henry Urrutia

8. C – Mike Ohlman

9. C- Chance Sisco

10. OF – Josh Hart

11. 1B – Christian Walker

12. SS – Adrian Marin

13. P – Tim Berry

14. OF – Dariel Alvarez