Orioles turning attention to Fernando Rodney

oldbird

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Buck didn't believe in the save rule? Yet here we are spending our entire off-season obsessing over a series of expensive "proven" closers. :scratchchinhmm:

Balfour? Sure. Good numbers and crazy pyscho mentality would have been hilarious to watch. #BalfourRage

But, Rodney? Sideways cap, dumb--- bow and arrow antics, and will probably post a BB/9 north of 4.5. That is Kevin Gregg territory except the only reason Rodney isn't "giving in" is because on any given day he is incapable of it.

He will walk 'em. Then he will walk 'em some more. Suddenly all it will take is one single, sac fly, or wild pitch and the game is blown. :down:

In my estimation, I think we're actually OK in LF and 2B. We could be better, but I would rather concentrate on starting pitching and DH right now.

You might be right. I HOPE you're right. I'm just not sold on Lough or Flaherty, or Weeks for that matter. Lough doesn't walk so his already mediocre OBP is entirely AVG-driven, and his AVG is very much BABIP-driven. His OPS dropped off by 70+ points in the second half last year leading me to wonder if pitchers figured him out and he couldn't catch up. KC couldn't find a roster spot for him and basically gave him away for half a DH- I find that curious. Flaherty hit around .150 for the first third of the 2013 season. Yeah, he finished strong but he also finished strong the year before and it didn't mean much. Weeks spent essentially all of 2013 in the minors and was terrible the year before.

If these guys were Plan Bs, I'd be thrilled. But they aren't. Two of three will be starters and that provides plenty of reason for concern.

You might be right. I HOPE you're right. I'm just not sold on Lough or Flaherty, or Weeks for that matter. Lough doesn't walk so his already mediocre OBP is entirely AVG-driven, and his AVG is very much BABIP-driven. His OPS dropped off by 70+ points in the second half last year leading me to wonder if pitchers figured him out and he couldn't catch up. KC couldn't find a roster spot for him and basically gave him away for half a DH- I find that curious. Flaherty hit around .150 for the first third of the 2013 season. Yeah, he finished strong but he also finished strong the year before and it didn't mean much. Weeks spent essentially all of 2013 in the minors and was terrible the year before.

If these guys were Plan Bs, I'd be thrilled. But they aren't. Two of three will be starters and that provides plenty of reason for concern.

I do like Schoop though and I think he's the future at 2B. Wouldn't want to block him with anybody who's available. We'll just have to see about LF.

In his defense before last season his struggles were merely pronounced. ;)

I never wanted Norris. I saw his struggles in the AL East coming a mile away and I'm still horrified by how much we gave up for him. I guess there's still time for the trade to work out in our favor but right now it looks pretty bad to me.

I never wanted Norris. I saw his struggles in the AL East coming a mile away and I'm still horrified by how much we gave up for him. I guess there's still time for the trade to work out in our favor but right now it looks pretty bad to me.

Agreed. This is EXACTLY what happens when you have a reactive GM and FO. Duquette did nothing in the off-season last year, when we needed a starter.

Then, when we were still in it, he had to pay a premium price to get Norris. Had he done it in the off-season, the price would NOT have been so high.

His reactive approach he certainly not helped our farm system. That, is something he failed at, in Boston as well.

Agreed. This is EXACTLY what happens when you have a reactive GM and FO. Duquette did nothing in the off-season last year, when we needed a starter.

Then, when we were still in it, he had to pay a premium price to get Norris. Had he done it in the off-season, the price would NOT have been so high.

His reactive approach he certainly not helped our farm system. That, is something he failed at, in Boston as well.

I really don't understand the Bud Norris hate. I thought it was a good trade and he only had one bad start with the Orioles, August 23 against the A's when he gave up 7 runs in 4 2/3 innings.

Archived