Are they joking? ESPN ranks Xander Bogaerts above JJ Hardy

Frobby

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same panel ranked him 10 last year. As we know Hardy is not flashy. He performs in a workmanship type manner and that probably hurts him here. He should be up this list though just based on his consistent play.

If Hardy were in New York or Boston where do you think he would rank here? Betting a bit higher.

I think the rankings outside of Bogaerts are pretty accurate. Bogaerts may be a bit high, but it depends what each they are emphasizing: realistic goals for 2014 or ceiling for 2014. I think Bogaerts has a much larger range for what he could do in 2014 with a higher ceiling, but much lower floor. I'd go Hardy in 2014 for the predictability.

As is the case in this thread about national coverage for April games ......

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/139660-Yankees-and-Red-Sox-Dominate-National-TV-Coverage-in-April

...... our only opportunity for revenge/redemption when it comes to things like this is to beat their asses on the field.

Although, I think that just for good measure, Hardy should walk up to Bogaerts and punch him in the stomach, just because he happens to be the guy that ESPN is rating above him.

I don't think it's that crazy. There's not really much difference between the 7th and 9th best shortstops anyway. I think there's a very good chance that Bogaerts is a significantly better offensive player in 2014. This is a kid that put up a .297/.388/.477 line in AA-AAA as a 20 year old last year. If he plays adequate defense, they can definitely be in the same area. J.J. Hardy was tied with Stephen Drew and Jean Segura for 8th in fWAR last year. I don't think it's crazy that Bogaerts could be a 3ish win player and around the top 10 this year.

Bogaerts ranked no. 7 in MLB, Hardy no. 9. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/bbtn100_topSS/ranking-top-10-shortstops-mlb-2014

Look, I know Bogaerts is a highly regarded prospect, but it seems way premature to expect him to outperform Hardy in 2014. Am I delusional here?

He's really good. I think it's reasonable to think he'll out perform Hardy offensively, but will not be as sharp defensively. Might require a built-in assumption that Hardy regresses.

Archived