Nelson Cruz almost earned half his paycheck in the first game.

Ommaculate

Then Cruz will live the Buckner life for the rest of his being. That is not worth any amount of money.

Not sure if you've ever watched curb your enthusiasm, but Buckner has a tremendous cameo appearance. Seems able to poke fun at himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was it I read recently, that MLB teams pay 3 million per win? It's because of Cruz we won that game. He had a good catch in the outfield and had the game winning homerun basically. So that's 3 million out of 8 million he has already earned. Looks like this is going to be a good deal. Loving Nelson Cruz!

Can mods fix my typo in the title? Thanks.

How so? Our payroll is roughly $100 million. Say we win 100 games. That's $1 mill per.

Not that this is a really good way to assign credit, but Cruz's home run gave us an extra 20% chance to win by WPA (win probability added.) The baseline is 50%. A hypothetical replacement team would have a 28% chance of winning. That means that the average player on a replacement level team would be roughly -2.5%. So strictly by translating WPA to wins over replacement, Cruz gave us about .225 WAR.

Fangraphs roughly agrees with this, since they assigned him 0.2 WAR.

Did Cruz pitch and hold BOS to 1 run? No.

Therefore, he wasn't solely responsible for the win.

Tillman is technically 1 WAR now as well. Not many starters could have done that.

Davis and Jones need to be +1 tonight. They haven't even started raking yet, it was the supporting cast who did it that is exactly what the team needed.

Archived