Cards @ Baltimore in August -- What Should I Know about Camden, Baltimore, etc?

CardsFanBob

Great reading here and thanks to a Bob to bring this all together under one roof! Have a great time in Balmer and hope that your team brings their A game ;).

Here is a nice article on Baltimore from one person's perspective, but one thing rings clear - Baltimoreans love their city!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zoe-lintzeris/baltimore-americas-charm-city_b_5007547.html

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Tiger sauce is restaurant specific (Chaps) not pit beef specific. I have never tried it.

It's based on a mix of mayo and horseradish and it tastes great on everything. If that doesn't sound appetizing, first pit beef I ever had was simple (good) BBQ sauce and Frank's Red Hot. Changed my life.

Six pages I'm sure someone has said it. It's going to be hot and humid. Prepare accordingly.

Also, a thread like this should be stickied. "Orioles fan guide to Baltimore", places to stay, park, drink, etc. With a little more structure. It would be a good resource for OH to have, would be entirely user created and would incentive a more diverse fan base visiting the OH.

The Tiger sauce is restaurant specific (Chaps) not pit beef specific. I have never tried it.

Got it.

Miss Shirley's also for breakfast,like Blue Moon but not open 24 hours on weekends. The Pratt St ocation.

http://www.missshirleys.com/

Thank you!

Great reading here and thanks to a Bob to bring this all together under one roof! Have a great time in Balmer and hope that your team brings their A game ;).

Here is a nice article on Baltimore from one person's perspective, but one thing rings clear - Baltimoreans love their city!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zoe-lintzeris/baltimore-americas-charm-city_b_5007547.html

Trust me, it's been my pleasure! I'll be sure to read the link!

National Bohemian beer. C'mon, Os fans, tell the Card fan about Charm City's finest.

I look forward to drinking my weight in them!

Six pages I'm sure someone has said it. It's going to be hot and humid. Prepare accordingly.

Also, a thread like this should be stickied. "Orioles fan guide to Baltimore", places to stay, park, drink, etc. With a little more structure. It would be a good resource for OH to have, would be entirely user created and would incentive a more diverse fan base visiting the OH.

Yeah, a sticky wouldn't be bad for visiting fans. I've been to a good many MLB parks. First thing I do before a trip is check out their fan board for a stickied post on places to go...

Oh, thank you for worrying about the humidity. But I'm from St. Louis. We invented humidity. You have the Mississippi and the Missouri crossing in our fair town, plus 100 degree temps on the reg during the summer. If you ain't sweating a bit, you ain't living. ;)

Hello, O's fans!

I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan, and I think I've talked the wife into flying up to catch the Cards/Orioles series this August. Just a quick in and out trip, catching the Friday and Saturday night games.

I've traveled extensively, but not much in the northeast. My only time in Baltimore was packed with work obligations, and more than 7 years ago. In other words, I don't know much about your fair city.

I'm hoping to book a room near the stadium, and doing a quick search of the area on Google, it looks like the Inner Harbor is the best area to stay -- hotels, bars, restaurants around. Is that right? We're around 30, so in good shape to make the half mile or so walk.

Any information you could provide to make this a unique experience is greatly appreciated. I've been waiting for a trip to see Camden since interleague began. I can't wait to check the entire area.

Oh, and regarding tickets: The wife and I enjoy cutting loose when traveling, and we've been known to throw a few drinks back. Does Camden have any all you can drink areas? It doesn't look like it does, but I couldn't be sure... They're big sellers here in St. Louis. Again, any info you could provide is much appreciated!

When O's make the Series this year against the Cardinals, and you come to Busch to watch them play, I'll be more than happy to provide any information you would need for a great visit! ;)

I highly recommend The Inn at Henderson's Wharf. And the entire Fells Point area for entertainment. No all you can drink areas, but several of the local establishments have special pre and post game deals. Make certain that you say hello while here.

You will love coming to Baltimore!! I love St. Louis as well. Restaurant recommendations: Crab house- can't go wrong with Bo Brooks (most of the best crab houses in Baltimore area are not downtown, but Bo Brooks is usually pretty good), Captain James Landing is also fun for first time crab eaters- it has an all the crabs you can pick eat in 2 hours special. For seafood in general, and oysters in particular, Thames Oyster House in Fells Point is a fav and Bertha's in Fells Point for mussels, For Italian, my most recent favorite is La Scala in Little Italy though there are lots of good Italian restaurants in Little Italy neighborhood.

Also let me put in a plug for the National Aquarium in the Inner Harbor. You can usually get discounts through your hotel concierge. Definitely worth it.

We welcome all Cards fans to Baltimore!!! Have a great time.

I only read through the first couple of pages but I'd like to chime in and add my 2 cents.

I would recommend staying either in Harbor East or at the Inner Harbor somewhere near the stadium. Like you said, you're there for baseball and Camden Yards is a pretty solid central location. However, I'd be lying to you if I gave you any hotel recommendations. I've honestly never stayed in a hotel here.

Bars and food around the area are more up my alley. Right next to the stadium is Pickles Pub and Sliders. On Fridays and Saturdays they will be packed. It's a cool spot to grab a quick one before the game but you likely won't want to stay there for too long. Inside the stadium there's a pretty good selection of beers. Hit up the bar above the center field wall pre-game as well. It's a cool spot that they added a couple of years ago and gives a great view of the field and entire stadium. As others have mentioned, Natty Boh is the favorite local light beer with Flying Dog and Heavy Seas being popular local craft beers (I believe both are sold at the stadium).

If you're looking to hit the bars after the game it depends on the vibe you're going for. Federal Hill will be bumpin' post-game and will have a college/young professional crowd there. All DJs, no live music. Fells Point will also be alive for sure and there's more of a selection of live music there. It's a good mixed crowd there with some solid live music usually being played at places like Waterfront Hotel, The Horse You Came In On, and Cat's Eye. Mount Vernon also has some cool spots for both food and drink and will generally be a calmer than Fed and Fells in my opinion. I would mention Canton as well, I live there, but if you're going to go east I'd recommend Fells Point over Canton every day of the week. It just has so much more to offer.. although Mama's On the Half Shell is a great spot.

I saw someone mention earlier Abby Burger Bistro in Federal Hill. They have some of the best burgers in Baltimore and one is in fact named after Adam Jones (I've seen him in there before as well as Chris Tillman). Blue Agave in Federal Hill is also very good if you like Mexican. Fells has some great food spots that are also great for brunch if you're into that. Waterfront Hotel has a great brunch as does Riptide By The Bay and Admiral's Cup. I could go on and on. Bo Brooks in Canton is a good crab/seafood spot. Actually, most places in Baltimore will have good crabcakes and usually crabs too.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Baltimore. I'd love to make a trip out to St. Louis sometime... especially if it were for a World Series matchup!!

Great stuff! Thank you so very much! I'd love to do a bit of site seeing in between bar hopping.

How about the Babe Ruth Museum? Is it worthwhile at all, or just a tourist trap?

Thank you, gents! We're big Hilton rewards people, so we'll either stay at a Hampton or Hilton. So, in your opinion, is it better to stay right by the park -- or would you rather stay closer to the Inner Harbor?

And any thoughts on staying at Fells Point?

You would love Fells Point.

Archived