vs. RED SOX, 4/19

OFFNY

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe this will clear it up a little bit. This is the conversation. My post in this thread was pertaining to being able to challenge HR calls, I know that they can, I was trying to illuminate the difference between fair/foul over the bag and the HR fair/foul calls.

Still not sure I understand. I have no idea if the statement about not being able to challenge balls over the bag is true or not. But CLEARLY you CAN challenge a home run fair/foul, so that entire part of the discussion is completely irrelevant to anything we are talking about.

Still not sure I understand. I have no idea if the statement about not being able to challenge balls over the bag is true or not. But CLEARLY you CAN challenge a home run fair/foul, so that entire part of the discussion is completely irrelevant to anything we are talking about.

Well I was curious if you could which is why I asked since we were on the subject of challenging fair or foul balls over the bags.

**IF** you can't challenge the ball over the bag call... I think the true reason would have nothing to do with it being in front of the umpire... it would be the difficulty of determining where the ball is in a 3-dimensional area, on a 2-dimensional picture. You really can't do it without two synchronized cameras. Sort of the same as a field goal going over the top of the goalpost. You have no depth perception in a 2 dimensional video, so you can't tell exactly wh at point the ball really passes the top of the goalpost or the imaginary line projected up from the 3rd base bag. You would have to have a camera watching down the line from home, and a camera from the 3rd base stands, and they would have to be synchronized, so you could tell from a video where the ball was (fair/foul) at the second it crossed the "line" which is basically the baseline from 2nd to 3rd.

FELIX DOUBRONT O (FINAL NUMBERS)

IP:. 6.67

H:o 5 (1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:O 2

BB: 2 *

SO: 7

Pitches: 107 (70 Strikes, 37 Balls)

2014 ERA: 5.48

* Doubront also had 1 Hit Batsman.

PITCHES BY INNINGS

29 (21 Strikes, 8 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

91 (51 Strikes, 4 Balls)

12 (71 Strikes, 5 Balls)

61 (61 Strikes, 0 Balls)

24 (15 Strikes, 9 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 7 Balls) **

** Doubront recorded 2 outs before departing in the 7th inning.

They said that you can never challenge fair/foul balls over the bag due to the play being in front of the Umpire. I don't know if they made it up, but they said that can never be challenged.
So you can't challenge a home run that is called foul then i.e. the McLouth one in the 2012 ALDS?
Well, unless an Umpire is in the stands, the play can never be in front of him. It'll always be behind him.
If he is standing behind 3rd base, facing home plate, and the call revolves around where the ball was when it went over/past 3rd, then I think the play is in front of him.

Even though he isn't in the stands.

Not sure exactly what you are trying to say.

I'm not sure how you are the only person in the thread not understanding this. Lets try and make it easy. The announcers said you cannot challenge a fair/foul ball over the base due to that play being in front of the umpire.

Another poster asked if thats the case, could they not have challenged a HR call like the McLouth one in Yankee stadium in the playoffs.

I then said That play can never be in front of the umpire, unless an umpire is in the stands, so HR fair/foul can be challenged.

Please note the difference in a play in front of the ump, and behind the ump.

I also stated that I don't know if they just made it up for the broadcast, but I assume they know what they're talking about in regards to a fair/foul over the base call not being able to be challenged. I hope this clears it up, if not, well, I give up.

Maybe this will clear it up a little bit. This is the conversation. My post in this thread was pertaining to being able to challenge HR calls, I know that they can, I was trying to illuminate the difference between fair/foul over the bag and the HR fair/foul calls.

I think there is too much of a gray area on plays down the line on groundballs. A replay with the benefit of a foul pole and the ball in the air can clearly show fair or foul, grounded down the line it is much harder to call.

Archived