Davis likely to DL tomorrow

McLovin

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Orioles first baseman Chris Davis, who said he has never dealt previously with an oblique injury, said he had two platelet-rich-plasma injections into his left side Monday, which could help him to return to baseball activities quicker.

?They drew my blood and injected the platelets from my blood into my oblique because it is supposed to speed up the healing process,? Davis said.

Sun

If he can come back in 15 days would be a huge boost to the ball club.

Zach Britton (2012) and Dylan Bundy (2013) previously had PRP's to try to speed the healing of an injury. It didn't really help in either case, and in Bundy's case, all it did was delay the diagnosis that he needed TJ surgery. So, excuse me if I have some skepticism that this will do anything for Davis.

Zach Britton (2012) and Dylan Bundy (2013) previously had PRP's to try to speed the healing of an injury. It didn't really help in either case, and in Bundy's case, all it did was delay the diagnosis that he needed TJ surgery. So, excuse me if I have some skepticism that this will do anything for Davis.

Jury is still out on PRP for pitchers. Not sure on hitters, especially the oblique.

I am skeptical as well but I think it is more likely to help with muscles then with ligaments.

I am skeptical as well but I think it is more likely to help with muscles then with ligaments.

Well, I am no doctor so I have no idea. Still, it sounds to me like the early 21st Century equivalent of leeching; something that will be regarded as absurd 50 years from now. I could be totally wrong, and I don't mean any disrespect to the doctors who have recommended trying this procedure.

It's like the tech article MayorMcCheese posted said, it may or not be effective, but it's not harmful. So... :noidea:

"Even though the success of PRP therapy is still questionable, the risks associated with it are minimal: There may be increased pain at the injection site, but the incidence of other problems -- infection, tissue damage, nerve injuries -- appears to be no different from that associated with cortisone injections."

MINNEAPOLIS -- Orioles first baseman Chris Davis continues to progress favorably from a left oblique strain, as the infielder was out at Target Field prior to Baltimore's game against the Twins doing some exercises.

Davis did some resistance band work with strength and conditioning coach Joe Hogarty, including some light running drills and stretching. The O's have been encouraged with how Davis, placed on the disabled list officially on Sunday, has responded since getting a pair of platelet-rich plasma injections to help the healing process on Monday.

"He's doing some things a little earlier that some guys do with that injury," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "That's kind of good to see. He's been in the pool doing some movement."

Davis is eligible to come off the DL on May 11.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140503&content_id=74179744&notebook_id=74187268&vkey=notebook_bal&c_id=bal

So good news?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck on Chris Davis' progress from oblique injury: "He doesn’t have any discomfort at the point of injury." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">May 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived