Brad Brach

xian4

Oof.. just noticed this: 4.85 ERA in AAA so far.

To be fair, that 4.85 ERA is paired with a 0.31 FIP. Unless we're expecting that .581 BABIP to be sustainable, I don't think there's much reason to believe his ERA in those 13 innings is particularly predictive.

In looking at his prior ML performances (all with SD), it seems pretty clear that big K numbers are going to translate. He'll walk some guys, but the key (as with most relievers) is whether he's going to be able to keep the ball in the park. I think this is a pretty decent stretch of games (Twins, Rays, Astros) to bring him up for --- the Rays don't have a ton of pop in their lineup, so they may not be as able to hurt him with the long ball, and the Twins/Astros are both hugely strikeout prone, so he may well miss a lot of bats against them.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does he get so many K's and can he teach our starting pitchers?

I don't know if they keep the stat, but I would bet the Orioles are the worst team at finishing of a strikeout (have thrown the most pitches with 2 strikes). The team needs a strike out pitcher right now.

• 2 weeks later...

o

5 out of the 9 outs that Brach recorded were strikeout.

In 3 innings, he threw 40 pitches (29 of which were strikes.)

9 OUTS: 5 Strikeout, 2 Groundouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

BRADLEY BRACH O (vs. AAA-Louisville, 5/13)

IP:. 3

H:o 1 (1 Double)

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 5

Pitches: 40 (29 Strikes, 11 Balls)

2014 ERA: 3.26 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

15 (11 Strikes, 4 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

I was just about to say the complete opposite and compliment you for bumping this thread. Brach's numbers in the minors, 5 walks and 38 strikeouts in 19 IP.

Today he showed a consistent 94 mph fastball, a tight slider which he located down and away, and a changeup which he only located well once. Yeah, he walked two guys and was shaky but that's guy I'd like to give more chances to as the 11th or 12th man in my bullpen. I didn't think Brach's stuff was as good as it looked today but it explains his numbers in the minors.

Hey, I bumped the thread.

You bastard.

Brach's minor league numbers are insane. The K/9 and K/BB rates are elite and he hadn't allowed a homer all year.

Looking at him throw today, it looks like he may have added some velocity from previous years. Consistently 93-95. Palmer said he had been working alot on the change, which had great movement even if it didn't look like he knew where it was going. Slider looked sharp. He was all over the place with location, which is not good at all, but that could have been nerves.

Both he and Guilmet are very interesting based on their minor league numbers alone. Pretty amazing we got them both while they still have options.

o

BRADLEY BRACH O (vs. PIRATES, 5/21)

IP:. 4 *

H:o 2 (2 Singles)

BB: 1

SO: 3

Pitches: 47 (34 Strikes, 13 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.05

* Brach entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base, and nobody out.

o

BRADLEY BRACH O (vs. PIRATES, 5/21)

IP:. 4 *

H:o 2 (2 Singles)

BB: 1

SO: 3

Pitches: 47 (34 Strikes, 13 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.05

* Brach entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base, and nobody out.

Really nice work by Brach tonight. He almost saved the day.

Archived