Would you: cut Lough to bring up Quentin Berry

LookitsPuck

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not exactly the Battle of the Defensive Titans, is it? I'll go with Nolan but they both are below average.
I like Cruz's arm better. I'm still going with him. Nolan isn't diving into stands anymore.

I like Cruz's arm better. I'm still going with him. Nolan isn't diving into stands anymore.

Yeah, I am talking about the Nolan we've seen, not the Nolan we haven't seen yet. His defense could be a lot worse following his surgeries.

No for Quintin Berry batting for a 697 OPS at AAA. Its too early for that.

I might if Francisco Peguero hits the heck out of the ball when he goes on rehab later this month. And I am waiting for the O's to promote Dariel Alvarez to AAA who is absolutely tearing up AA pitching right now.

I doubt that Lough gets claimed if he is DFA'd with a 455 OPS if he continues not to hit. He probably makes in through waivers and is outrighted to AAA. He's never been outrighted before so he as to accept the assignment to AAA with the O's.

When has Peguero ever "hit the heck out of the ball?"

I clearly wanted to stress that my opinion is that Nolan Reimold will not ever be an outfielder for the Baltimore Orioles. He might still be a b at in a useful situation, though my guess is not. I think his days of filling a real spot in the lineup are over.

When has Peguero ever "hit the heck out of the ball?"

Well, he hit for a 316 average and a 354 OBP at AAA last year in 288 plate appearances. He is not a power guy but is supposed to play good defense at all three outfield positions.

He hit 380/400/620/1020 during the regular season in the Dominican Winter League. That was only 71 At Bats.

If he can hit well for 20 days for Norfolk and Lough is not hitting in the majors, I could see the O's promoting Peguero to the majors to see if he can do better than Lough.

One of Peguero problems in his minor league career has been staying on the field. We are seeing that again with his wrist injury.

This is entirely based on 69 plate appearances (which aren't much, I definitely think it's a SSS), but you have to wonder if the concussion symptoms are still messing with Lough. If they are, I wonder if Duquette gets creative and somehow finds a way to put him on the DL. I think it's particularly interesting that Buck sat Lough (LH) against Hughes (RHP).

So, if they CAN'T DL Lough, since he doesn't have any options remaining...would you call up Berry and cut Lough?

No I don't think so.

Doubt it. Not if they have to keep him on the 25 man roster, which they would. Its hard to justify keeping at guy with a 455 OPS on the 25 man roster.

Lough would not have made the Royals 25 man roster this year. Not after they traded for Aoki. That is why they traded him.

Lough has a .667 OPS. Why would a major league GM be so silly as to focus on his 69 PAs from this year and exclude the other 85% of his career?

Well, as far as the small sample, I said its too early to DFA'd him yet. But by the first of June that excuse goes away. Lough is not an established major leaguer. And his defense alone will not keep him in the majors as anything but a defensive backup. The O's need more from him than that. When the O's play in big parks they need someone better than Cruz in left. Someone that can field and hit.

If Peguero or Alvarez tear up AAA the O's would make that move. They would DFA Lough if he is still not hitting like he is now.

Matter of fact if Nolan played well on a rehab for 20 days at AAA, the O's would take him over what Lough is offering right now.

Sorry, that's baloney. Nolan is finished. IMO

Well, he hit for a 316 average and a 354 OBP at AAA last year in 288 plate appearances. He is not a power guy but is supposed to play good defense at all three outfield positions.

He hit 380/400/620/1020 during the regular season in the Dominican Winter League. That was only 71 At Bats.

If he can hit well for 20 days for Norfolk and Lough is not hitting in the majors, I could see the O's promoting Peguero to the majors to see if he can do better than Lough.

One of Peguero problems in his minor league career has been staying on the field. We are seeing that again with his wrist injury.

Peguero's 2013 OPS at Fresno was 8th or 9th-best on a sub-.500 AAA team. And that's pretty much the offensive highlight of his minor league resume. I'm not a huge Lough fan, but he has to be better than Peguero.

Lough has a .667 OPS. Why would a major league GM be so silly as to focus on his 69 PAs from this year and exclude the other 85% of his career?

I like what Lough could do. But if the O's are a third of the way through the season on June 1st and Lough is still at a 455 OPS, I think the O's will be looking for an alternative. Call it a sophomore jinx or whatever. Lough has to hit better to maintain his spot on the major league roster.

Archived