Tommy Hunter AGAIN!

isestrex

I would like him to actually earn one of those saves himself. He cannot give up 2 and 3 hits an inning and expect the defense to come to his rescue. We saw the result of that pipe dream last night. Fortunately, the rest of the team rallied and covered for him. Again. I shudder whenever they bring the guy up.

Hi, I don't think we have met.

I am opposed to current managerial thinking in regards to bullpen usage.

If you ever see a comment of that sort from me again, you can rest assured I am being sarcastic.

Welcome to the board.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't watch tonight's game. All I can say was his k/9 was 13.50, gb% was 50%, BABIP was .750, and FIP and xFIP were both 0.08 (!!!!). His FIP is now 3.08 and xFIP is 3.34. His BABIP is .422. I know it is hard to see, very hard right now, but Hunter could be very successful, and according to all of his peripheals, should be right now.

Please tell me that this was an attempt at humor. One game BABIP stats tell you nothing. When a guy is getting hit hard and throwing to bad locations, his BABIP will be high.

Hi, I don't think we have met.

I am opposed to current managerial thinking in regards to bullpen usage.

If you ever see a comment of that sort from me again, you can rest assured I am being sarcastic.

Welcome to the board.

Sarcasm is so difficult to portray online.

Say you spend Britton/O'Day in the 8th and 9th in a lot of games going forward. Can the rest of our relievers hold down all the other innings we need help on? Gausman may need to fill the role Britton filled early in the season.

I kind of figure that in August when this team is in contention that J. Santana is in the rotation - M.Gonzalez is in the bullpen and Britton, Bundy, and Gausman are late-inning relievers.

Well teammates don't rally to pick someone up that they don't like or if they don't think are helping them in return. A team game.

If Hunter didnt blow that save AJ wouldn't have got his 4th dinger last night.

So mad. Me and my buddy went fishing. Got back in time for the bottom of the ninth but then was to tired to wait for the delay. So pissed yet so happy.

Keep it rolling Os!

Btw,ppl say Hunter needs to start earning saves on his own abs not rely on the defense so much. Well, was Hunter ever a strikeout guy? I kno he is a hard thrower but I don't remember him ever being dominant when it comes to striking guys out. That's not his makeup.

Team mates will rally to assist any other team mate whether they like them of not because it is their job and they are getting paid very well to do it.

That foolishness aside, I thik there are two schools of thought on this thread, and they are not mutually exclusive.

There is the group that is looking back and at the present who are happy that we are winning, regardless of performance. A valid viewpoint and one I think most fans on the site share.

Then there is the group looking forward and claiming that due to what we have seen in the past and present, the road we are going down does not look so bright. Also valid since future events are typically predicted based upon past experiences, and our closer letting multiple runners on base every time he takes the mound is a recipe for disaster. The team is not going to be able to save the saver all the time. He has to help a little bit.

Yes, the team is supposed to come to the aid of the pitcher. It is expected. It is their job. But the closing pitcher is not suppose to make it so difficult for the team to win. It is why he is the closer. He is supposed to be so good that he can get those outs with relative ease from the first three or four batters. Not go through half the line up with 2 and 3 guys on base, every single time. The team should only have to bail the closer out occasionally, not most of the time he takes the mound.

All of that being said, if the team does continue down this road with a bunch of "by the seat of the pants" wins and it leads right into the playoffs, I can say it will be an exciting season that I will thoroughly enjoy. (so long as I do not have heart failure)

I'm sure you know better than Tommy Hunter how to prepare for relief appearances.

I know that when I am struggling the best thing I can do is to not bother trying to analyze why I am struggling. Much better off to keep going out there blind. :thumbsup1:

Of course this is the same guy that didn't appear concerned with his splits against left handers, unlike O'Day who worked on a Change up during ST.

Please tell me that this was an attempt at humor. One game BABIP stats tell you nothing. When a guy is getting hit hard and throwing to bad locations, his BABIP will be high.

That is why after that post, I also posted that his LD% was 29% which is very high so he's obviously being hit hard. I think you can take away some things from an outing. I did not watch the game until the bottom of the 9th though so I can't really comment on how he actually looked.

That is why after that post, I also posted that his LD% was 29% which is very high so he's obviously being hit hard. I think you can take away some things from an outing. I did not watch the game until the bottom of the 9th though so I can't really comment on how he actually looked.

He looked pretty lousy, leaving too many pitches up and over the plate. That said, the first hit off him was something of a seeing eye single between SS and 3B. The other balls were hit hard.

Dude, Tommy Hunter is the next Jim Johnson. I stand by my conviction that Buck and all major league managers are Zombies when it comes to the Closer. He nearly blew that save situation in TB on Thursday. He as been very lucky and I don't trust him as "The Closer". Dude, when the set-up guy in the 8th has a 1-2-3 inning and throws 12 pitches why can't Buck let him close out the 9th? Last night was a perfect example as Hunter blew the save but the O's came back in the 10th DUDE.

Dude, Tommy Hunter is the next Jim Johnson. I stand by my conviction that Buck and all major league managers are Zombies when it comes to the Closer. He nearly blew that save situation in TB on Thursday. He as been very lucky and I don't trust him as "The Closer". Dude, when the set-up guy in the 8th has a 1-2-3 inning and throws 12 pitches why can't Buck let him close out the 9th? Last night was a perfect example as Hunter blew the save but the O's came back in the 10th DUDE.

You asked for this with all those "Dudes."

tumblr_m0dztpJ2ck1r2jdrto1_500.jpg

Tommy Hunter is the next Jim Johnson. I stand by my conviction that Buck and all major league managers are Zombies when it comes to the Closer. He nearly blew that save situation in TB on Thursday. He as been very lucky and I don't trust him as "The Closer". When the set-up guy in the 8th has a 1-2-3 inning and throws 12 pitches why can't Buck let him close out the 9th? Last night was a perfect example as Hunter blew the save but the O's came back in the 10th..

I know that when I am struggling the best thing I can do is to not bother trying to analyze why I am struggling. Much better off to keep going out there blind. :thumbsup1:

Of course this is the same guy that didn't appear concerned with his splits against left handers, unlike O'Day who worked on a Change up during ST.

"Not bother" - really, you think he just doesn't care? Not concerned about splits against left handers? How can you make judgements about him as a person? This is about him showing confidence in himself. You prefer him to say "jeez I am lost right now. I am going to look at tape for the next 23.5 hours until I am called upon to pitch again. I have no confidence in my ability to get an out tomorrow."

Archived