vs. Texas Rangers, 6/5

weams

I'm usually one of the unreasonables... but one thing I refuse to freak out about is JJ Hardy's defense.

Manny too. Of all the things I'm worried about right now (Tillman *cough* Tillman) JJ's glove doesn't make the top 100.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An extremely poorly played game tonight by the Os. Our "ace" turns into a pumpkin again, our Gold Glove shortstop turns into tin, and we have some reliever from France named Preston. But who knows??? Maybe we can still steal it away.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I don’t see them burning a year of control of JH after the Baker’s Dozen or so games he’s had with the big club so far. I don’t think we see him before September, even in the event of a series of injuries.  Everyone wanted him promoted. He probably earned it in spring training. However he looked lost at the plate and showed in the field some of what I have described about my lack of trust in his overall fielding (yes I park on his lack of arm strength but the fielding overall is not awesome) and while I do think that he would eventually figure it out because he’s too good of a hitter, every game counts. Having a black hole in the lineup entering this stretch of the season that will get more difficult (the next seven series are: Yankees, Reds, Gnats, DBacks, Jays and Mariners) they need all of the offense that they can get from every position player on the 26-man and just can’t afford to let him figure it out. Plus he doesn’t offer the defense that a Ramon or Jorge offer. He's going to get back to himself. He’s going to continue to improve at 2B and he will obviously be back up at some point but not before rosters expand, imo. The average fan really has no concept of just how good major league players are comparatively. The gap from the top league to the next best (AAA) is so wide the only thing that I can compare it to is college kids joining the PGA to play against Tiger Woods in his prime. It’s almost unfair. That’s the leap that these kids take from AAA to MLB. JH will be fine but I don’t think we see him before they cutoff to retain that controllable year.   
    • I almost thought he was trying to pitch to contact, knowing that the team needed him to pitch deep into the game.  The previous game he struck out a ton of guys but needed 101 pitches in 5.1 innings to do it.  That would not have been a good outcome today.   Of course, if you’re pitching to contact, how are you walking 4 guys?   Lucky for Kremer, 3 of those walks were erased on DP’s the very next batter.  That’ll help a pitch count! Overall, though, I’m liking Kremer’s array of pitches this year.  He’s substituted a splitter for his old change-up and it’s a better pitch.   He’s really got a lot of weapons at his disposal.    
    • Not only is it shocking MLb did it but an MLB led by Manfred.  That is what really shocks me.
    • We face a lefty tomorrow.  If we’re facing a righty, sitting Adley (who would be replaced by McCann) doesn’t open up a spot for Kjerstad.
    • I think the quality has gone down since they started pre cooking it in the warehouse and carting it down.  And of course the charm of the smoke cloud wafting over Eutaw St is gone too.
    • I mean, for all of Ryan McKenna's virtues he's no Blondie Purcell.
    • Absolutely, but I think it needs to be the right veteran. Even then, someone can have a different opinion and it's just that, their opinion.
  • Popular Contributors