Jake Arrieta

micahl69

He had 114 after that and they gave him the start of the next season and he was god awful. The exact same thing they gave Britton who took his opportunity and ran with it. Jake put up an ERA of over 7. Jake knew 2013 was probally his last chance the same way Britton did one made something out off it and other stunk it up.

Ok, this is easy enough to look up. Zach came up in 2011, In 2012 he had came into ST and had the impingement after which he wasn't very good. He totaled 60 IP that season and a 5.07 ERA. The next season after his injury he was expected to make a run at a spot in the rotation in 2013. It didn't happen, but they didn't give up on him. Instead, they sent him back down and gave him one more chance THIS season. Not last season.

I'm trying to draw an apples to apples comparison here. Jake still had an option remaining and we could have held onto to him and maybe, just maybe Wallace could have turned him into something.

Wallace has already had success with Britton in ST prior to the season with training him to keep the ball down through specific drills and He also recently helped Tillman make an adjustment. I was never a fan of Adair who openly admitted to not being supportive of Rick Peterson and his work in biomechanics.

It may seem like a small difference, but had we kept Jake we would have had him under control and our rotation looks very, very good right now. This isn't to say he didn't get chances, of course he did. It's just if you are going to wait to deal someone then I prefer it's because you have no place left to stash them and your hand is forced to do so.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arrieta, Hammel and Strop are all pitching well for the Cubs. Do they know something we don't? I doubt it. In the case of Arrieta and Strop the very change of scenery probably did them good; fresh set of people to deal with. Also they're in the National League.

We got Feldman and Clevenger for that. Feldman unfortunately was not retained and Clevenger is not getting a proper chance to play in the bigs (at least he's still on the 40 man). That's a little more of a let down to me than not having kept the others.

I am glad Jake is doing well for the Cubs, and I think the trade we made was logical at the time. However, it does bother me that we were unable to unlock the potential that he is showing now.

And that's what I've been saying. However, I question the trade and the return for a guy of whom we had control AND had not unlocked his true potential. I understand why it was done, but it may have been short sighted.

I am glad Jake is doing well for the Cubs, and I think the trade we made was logical at the time. However, it does bother me that we were unable to unlock the potential that he is showing now.

Pretty much how I feel.

And that's what I've been saying. However, I question the trade and the return for a guy of whom we had control AND had not unlocked his true potential. I understand why it was done, but it may have been short sighted.

I do not think any contending team could have given Jake what he needed.

You can't always plan for two years down the road. Sometimes you have to improve the team now, and you can't win with two pitchers on the roster who aren't anything but mopup arms. Arrieta spent parts of four years in AAA, and wasn't progressing. As a 27-year-old with hundreds of MLB innings you'd expect something better than a 4.41 ERA in Norfolk.

At some point you have to move on. Wish him the best, but it wasn't working here. At all.

I do not think a:2yay-thumb:ny contending team could have given Jake what he needed.

I don't buy that. What subset of qualities does an organization like the Cubs have compared to the Orioles, or the Tigers, Cardinals, Giants, Red Sox, Rangers, and the Braves for that matter. They have more money perhaps but does that necessarily translate into better development?

Those teams were the division winners last year and that doesn't include perennial big spenders like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels.

We didn't develop him and now a lesser organization is. Well, if you were frustrated by our 14 years of ineptitude then imagine a Cubs fan's level of frustration.

I don't buy that. What subset of qualities does an organization like the Cubs have compared to the Orioles, or the Tigers, Cardinals, Giants, Red Sox, Rangers, and the Braves for that matter. They have more money perhaps but does that necessarily translate into better development?

Those teams were the division winners last year and that doesn't include perennial big spenders like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels.

We didn't develop him and now a lesser organization is. Well, if you were frustrated by our 14 years of ineptitude then imagine a Cubs fan's level of frustration.

What is it that you wanted the Orioles to do? You act like they gave him no chances and he was traded for a bag of balls. The cubs have resided in 5th place for the last 5 seasons...they can give guys line Arrieta a chance. The Orioles were trying to make the playoffs. Where do you put someone like Arrieta when you're trying to play meaningful baseball?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I hated that Feldman trade, thought Feldman was too mediocre to be worth the potential of Arrieta and Strop, but I have to admit that there's no reason to believe Arrieta could have put it together for the O`s. It was a sensible trade for a competitive team to make, except I still think they should've gotten better than half a season of Feldman out of the deal.

Archived