Cord Phelps-Really?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Murphy is a poor 2B - if we didn't trade for him on July 31, he is really of no use now.

Zobrist is not going to clear all the way through waivers - either some has already claimed him and that ship has sailed - or some will claim him.

Chisenhall is 25 years old, cheap, controllable and OPSing .817 - ain't happening

Gillespie is 27 years old, cheap, controllable and OPSing .814 - ain't happening

So do you think there's any acquirable 3B or 2B that could help us the rest of the way and if there is, what would you be willing to give up for it? Or is Flaherty/Schoop the only option w/ Phelps/Weeks/Lombardozzi as back up? Got to think DD has asked himself the same question. I don't think Kelly Johnson or someone like that is any better than what we have and as you said, other than Murphy, those guys above aren't really available.

Phelps is a switch hitter. Anybody have any idea what side he hits best from? ML sample is very small but suggests it may be as a RH hitter.
Minor league splits are pretty even, maybe a little better from the left side where he gets the majority of ABs.

Cord Phelps, 27, Utility IF and Corner OF with almost one year of major league experience with Cleveland (135 days). Switch hitter.

O's depth chart without Manny

First - Davis, Pearce, Flaherty, Phelps, Markakis

2nd - Schoop, Flaherty, Phelps

SS - Hardy, Flaherty, Schoop, Phelps

3rd - Flaherty, Davis, Phelps, Schoop

LF - Cruz, Pearce, Lough, Young, Phelps

RF - Markakis, Cruz, Pearce, Lough, Phelps

Minor league splits can be found here:

http://www.minorleaguecentral.com/player?pid=543647&type=batter&split=2014

Just playing Fantasy League here, but if Manny is out for the rest of the year, would anyone want to try and trade for any of the following:

David Murphy - 5.7M this year, FA in 2016

Ben Zobrist - Team option of 7.5M in 2015

Lonnie Chisenhall - 1st yr. Arb eligible in 2015, FA in 2018

Conor Gillaspie - 1st yr. Arb eligible in 2016, FA in 2019

I'd put Chase Utley on this list but his contract is ridiculous - 15M vesting at 500 AB through 2018.

Obviously it would take a lot to get some of these guys, but would you do it to keep us strong for the playoff push this year and set up a Manny potential move to SS next year (assuming the knees can take it)? Personally, I'd be real curious if TB would deal Zobrist.

In a word. No. Not going to happen.

But more importantly, I believe that this right knee injury to Manny is going to have a significant impact regarding his defensive future. IMHO, he will never see SS here.

In a word. No. Not going to happen.

But more importantly, I believe that this right knee injury to Manny is going to have a significant impact regarding his defensive future. IMHO, he will never see SS here.

Why? He is 22 years old - he will recover from this injury. As a side note - don't want him on SS, he is the best defensive 3B of this generation - leave him there, but he will be healthy again and hopefully soon.

I still don't know why it is just assumed that Flaherty will get all the starts. I think Davis will play a lot of third base and Pearce will play first. I would much rather have that lineup than Flaherty in the lineup every day.

I have to agree. Flash and Davis are equal rally killers 80% of the time, but at least Crush has the tendency to run into a few bombs here and there. His D at 3rd isn't a complete liability, and Pearce is a respectable scab at 1st. It's a little bit of straw and duct tape, but that's what happens when the entire all star, gold glove left side of your IF gets injured at the same time.

Archived