3B defense is hurtin'

Frobby

How did Kelly Johnson look tonight? Took the gf to the Charleston tonight. First time there' and as a result missed the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't get a ton of opportunities defensively but made all the plays hit toward him.

He also had a clutch basehit and drew a walk.

All things considered he had a solid night.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't get a ton of opportunities defensively but made all the plays hit toward him.

Flaherty's late-game contributions at third shouldn't be overlooked either. Took over in the 8th inning, made a nice short-hop play on Bourgeois to end the inning, and in the 9th made a great diving back-handed stop on a hard grounder near the line, firing a strike to Davis to get the out. That was impressive.

I was there last night and agree with you.

If Hardy can keep his back healthy, then I like keeping Flash on the bench and late game defense sub.

Flaherty's late-game contributions at third shouldn't be overlooked either. Took over in the 8th inning, made a nice short-hop play on Bourgeois to end the inning, and in the 9th made a great diving back-handed stop on a hard grounder near the line, firing a strike to Davis to get the out. That was impressive.

It was impressive and might have saved a double down the line if he doesn't stop that ball.

You don't really watch the games, do you? What they'd been doing in late innings was put Flaherty at 3B, Davis at 1B, Pearce in LF, and take out Cruz. I assume they will go back to that whenever they have a lead.

Good point. I live in New England and haven't seen as many games since Manny went down. That move to take Cruz out of LF and put CD back at 1B in the late innings makes sense. Buck is the man!

• 3 weeks later...

Manny: 9 errors in 82 starts

Everyone else: 15 errors in 74 starts

I think our defense has gone from excellent to below average at 3B. 15 errors in 74 games is Reynoldsesque. The other 3B have an OPS of .676 compared to Manny's .755, too. I think this is a real Achilles heel for us.

It's really, really, really bad. Big concern to me come the 9th inning should (hopefully) the O's have the lead w/ Britton on the hill. Personally I feel our best options at 3B (on the roster and healthy, BTW):

1. Ryan Flaherty

2. Chris Davis

3. Jimmy Paredes

4. Jonathan Schoop

5. Kelly Johnson

I think Ryan's biggest problem right now is his arm, unfortunately.

It's really, really, really bad. Big concern to me come the 9th inning should (hopefully) the O's have the lead w/ Britton on the hill. Personally I feel our best options at 3B (on the roster and healthy, BTW):

1. Ryan Flaherty

2. Chris Davis

3. Jimmy Paredes

4. Jonathan Schoop

5. Kelly Johnson

I think Ryan's biggest problem right now is his arm, unfortunately.

Personally, I'd rather have parades at third than flash.

Neither is a great fielder (although flash has the advantage) but parades is a better hitter and clearly, has a MUCH stronger arm.

All things considered, I'd rather play parades. Flaherty is a great utility guy but not someone I want to rely on to contribute, especially with Joseph's bat falling completely apart.

Id also consider giving Hundley more starts if I was Buck.

Manny: 9 errors in 82 starts

Everyone else: 15 errors in 74 starts

I think our defense has gone from excellent to below average at 3B. 15 errors in 74 games is Reynoldsesque. The other 3B have an OPS of .676 compared to Manny's .755, too. I think this is a real Achilles heel for us.

Well we're down to our 3rd option there at best. I would think that would be an Achilles heel for any team in such a situation. Unfortunately not much we can do about it. Just have to ride it out and hope it isn't the difference in the playoffs.

Of the three major pieces missing it's always been Manny that's been the killer one.

Kelly Johnson has good defensive numbers at 3B for his career. Admittedly a small sample size, but I would give him more looks this week and lean towards using him as the starter at this point. Paredes just looks hopelessly erratic and Flaherty does not appear to be a defensive savior at 3B either.

I went to a game last week where a ground ball was hit between SS and 3B, that I believe Manny would have had. Not only did Kelly Johnson not get to it, he literally never took a step took toward the hole, he just sort of turned his head and watched it go by. I don't think it was laziness, just very slow reaction time. It suffices to say, I was not impressed.

Archived