Roberts to the Cubs again?

Ricky Bobby

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's certainly not nothing. You don't get sent home for nothing.

That leaves little or big. Or maybe halfway in between, which would be my guess.

If you're the Orioles (all other aspects of this trade proposal aside) would you trade for Patterson?

If you're the Orioles (all other aspects of this trade proposal aside) would you trade for Patterson?

I think Patterson is precisely the sort of buy-low, out-of-favor player the O's should be all over.

The road back to respectability for this franchise is going to be paved by calculated risk-taking. Here is a case where the risk (cost) is pretty low (presumably), but the potential reward is sizable.

Frankly I don't see what's not to like here.

I think Patterson is precisely the sort of buy-low, out-of-favor player the O's should be all over.

The road back to respectability for this franchise is going to be paved by calculated risk-taking. Here is a case where the risk (cost) is pretty low (presumably), but the potential reward is sizable.

Frankly I don't see what's not to like here.

I just dont agree here Dave ... For me If I were AM ... I would ask for

Murton,Gallagher, & Veal ... Also if you want to swop some bad contract Payton/ Millar/Gibbons (You Pick) for Marquis

(It should be obviuos by the previous deals that AM loves pitching)

Honestly, and I've been thinking of this for a while now... I think this whole trade is being done wrong.

Roberts for Colvin, Burke, Huseby, and Hernandez.

The O's would some prospects that are pretty far out, but have some very high ceilings... as opposed to guys with above average ceilings, but not the sort of talent that can turn a franchise around in a hurry. No sure thing in the deal, but if they all pan out, that would be ridiculously lopsided in the O's favor. Hell, if even one of them pans out and hits their ceiling for six years under club control, the O's would win.

AM's pattern seems pretty clear to me - he likes a mix of ML ready and high ceiling youngsters.

I would the pattern to continue.

I think I agree with Dave here.

1. I'm not sure Peralta (or Miller) is available

2. I'm not convinced Peralta will stay at shortstop

3. I'm not convinced Peralta will bounce back to his 05 levels (though I have not researched him much to see what his problem was)

Murton is an average everyday corner OF, not a back-up. You give him some days off against the tougher right handed hitters, but otherwise he is an everyday player.

Gallagher gives you a starter that is basically MLB ready with the upside of a solid #3/4 starter.

Cedeno gives you a guy who has put up impressive minor league numbers the past two years and can play both SS and 2b if needed. I'm not really a fan of Patterson and would not like to see him in a deal for Roberts, but would take him if it was the best offer on the table.

If its the Cubs offer or Peralta and Barfield, I probably take the three guys above. The difference between the top and bottom guys involved is not a pitcher like Gallagher. The combination of Peralta and Miller is a different story because of the upside involved. Peralta and Gutierrez is a toss-up, but I also assume Barfield would be coming back in any deal involving Roberts.

To my mind Roberts is one of the top 5 2B/leadoff hitters in the game. To a contender he is worth a top prospect on the order of Jones plus. With the trades of Tejada and Bedard we don't need quantity as much as we did, we need quality. If I could get a good young SS or 1B or 3B prospect for him I'd trade him but that isn't what's being offered from the Cubs or the Indians for that matter. Murton, Cedeno, and EPatt are useful roleplayers at best. I'd keep BRob at least until the deadline or next winter if need be, to get a prospect who can fill one of these positions long term.

There's no way Roberts will get a prospect like Jones.

I was actually thinking about this earlier...

Cut Jones and Sherrill out of the Bedard deal, and you're probably pretty close to the eventual Roberts deal.

Archived