St. Louis Cardinals trade RHP Shelby Miller & RHP Tyrell Jenkins to the Braves for OF Jason Heyward

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>St. Louis Cardinals trade RHP Shelby Miller & RHP Tyrell Jenkins to the Braves for OF Jason Heyward & RHP Jordan Walden.</p>— St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) <a href="

">November 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interesting trade.. a 23 yo starting pitcher who has already completed 2 full years in the majors for 24 yo outfielder who amazingly has 5 full years in the majors.

I usually say never give up young cost controlled starting pitching, but I think Heyward is going to get better, where Miller may just be a #5 innings eater.

Interesting trade.. a 23 yo starting pitcher who has already completed 2 full years in the majors for 24 yo outfielder who amazingly has 5 full years in the majors.

I usually say never give up young cost controlled starting pitching, but I think Heyward is going to get better, where Miller may just be a #5 innings eater.

Or neither one may really contribute under the current contracts.

I have an issue with Heyward. I think of who it looked like he might become instead of who he actually is.
I just realized that Heyward and Markakis both have similar offensive numbers

Honestly, I think it's a combination of this and the fact that he's closer to FA. They just added a lot of team-controlled years out of the two guys they picked up.

Not that I dislike Heyward, but nothing about his numbers jumps out at me and says, "I need to pay this guy." Much like Markakis, it's not a matter of "Do I want to keep him." It's, "Do I really wanna pay this guy top dollar for what I'm getting out of him?"

Just my opinion, but it looks like they used a guy who they would have let walk in FA anyway and used him to fill a rotation spot for the next years.

I have an issue with Heyward. I think of who it looked like he might become instead of who he actually is.

That being said I know the Braves are desperate for pitching but this isn't much of a haul.

Maybe they are also freeing up salary.

I think that your last sentence is right. They get 4 years of Miller, shed 10M or whatever Heyward was going to get this year, and he's a FA after the 2015 season. They keep saying he's 25, but my guess is 35. That guy just looks old.

4 years of Miller > 1 year of Heyward

Miller isn't very good. 2014: 4.54FIP 4.47xFIP 4.60SIERA.His K rate dropped by 2.5K/9 to an uninspired 6.29K/9. His walked rate increases from 2.96 to 3.59. I'll take one year of stud player when I'm trying to win a WS over 4 years of mediocre starter living off his name.

Miller isn't very good. 2014: 4.54FIP 4.47xFIP 4.60SIERA.His K rate dropped by 2.5K/9 to an uninspired 6.29K/9. His walked rate increases from 2.96 to 3.59. I'll take one year of stud player when I'm trying to win a WS over 4 years of mediocre starter living off his name.

Except Hayward hasn't performed like a stud player, and Miller has - with a 3.33 career ERA - turning 24 in Ocotober - despite going through a sophomore slump.

Except Hayward hasn't performed like a stud player, and Miller has - with a 3.33 career ERA - turning 24 in Ocotober - despite going through a sophomore slump.

5-6 WAR last season is stud like.

Of course a lot of that value is on defense and that makes a large percentage of fan's discount it.

Archived