Blue Jays sign Russell Martin

Greg

You both got me on that one. I guess if they resign Cabrera I'll really eat crow. They still won't be good.

Oh, I don't think it's a good move for Toronto. I'm glad they did it. I just never go into an offseason and believe all 30 actors will behave rationally. Toronto may have said they couldn't take on payroll at the deadline. Maybe they have a hard budget that can't fluctuate during the season. But coming into this offseason, after sputtering in 2014, I definitely expected them to make headline grabbing moves. I don't believe they are done. I also don't believe they are getting any better with this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much. His average value in his career according to fangraphs has been $15.4 million per year. So let's give a 32 year old catcher $16.4 million per for 5 years. Yeah that makes sense.

Not the correct analysis. 1 WAR was worth $3.7 mm in 2006, but it was worth $5.45 mm in 2013. At 2013 prices, Martin has been worth $18.4 mm/yr in his career, and you can be pretty sure that the price of 1 WAR will rise each year. Martin easily will be worth the money if he averages 3.4 WAR per season, as he has averaged in the first years of his career. So really, it is a matter of whether he will decline, and by how much. If you assume that 1 WAR will be worth average of $6.6 mm over the next 5 years (which is consistent with the rate of "WAR inflation" during Martin's career to date), he'd have to produce about 12.4 WAR (~2.5/yr) over the next 5 to justify the contract. (Of course, everything I just said depends on whether you think WAR does a good job of measuring the relative contributions of players.)

Pretty much. His average value in his career according to fangraphs has been $15.4 million per year. So let's give a 32 year old catcher $16.4 million per for 5 years. Yeah that makes sense.

And have him use his pitch framing on a knuckleballer?

Archived