Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

I can't blame the guy for obviously wanting to advance in his field but as a selfish Oriole fan, I was really hoping to hear he had no interest... I guess he could be possibly posturing for the same position with the Orioles.. What a complete wave of emotions today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan Duquette has always wanted the respect of the baseball community. He stayed out of baseball for ten years because he did not wish to take a step backward. I would be very surprised if he did not want to be a team president.

Yep, I can't blame him for being interested or for being disappointed that he won't be able to get the opportunity. But, as a lifelong baseball man he definitely understands the Orioles position that they aren't going to allow their GM to leave the day before the winter meetings start. It would be absurd.

Dan Duquette has always wanted the respect of the baseball community. He stayed out of baseball for ten years because he did not wish to take a step backward. I would be very surprised if he did not want to be a team president.
Just curious. Why exactly did DD stay out of baseball for 10 years? What made him want to leave baseball and what brought him back?

And will he really move on to become a team president? Would he try and pressure Angelos? Because it looks like Angelos has him under contract for several more years. I don't believe that DD is a FA at this time.

Just curious. Why exactly did DD stay out of baseball for 10 years? What made him want to leave baseball and what brought him back?

And will he really move on to become a team president? Would he try and pressure Angelos? Because it looks like Angelos has him under contract for several more years. I don't believe that DD is a FA at this time.

He was fired.

He refused to work in MLB in a position that was a demotion from the role he had in Montreal and Boston.

The Blew Jays would be absolutely stupid to get into it with Angelos when there are other candidates. Have they not seen the nightmare for the Gnats that is MASN? I hope DD is just using this to get more money or an in-house promotion. Besides, who doesn't want to live in AMERICA.

[video=youtube;UzDDJm27vmc]

Yep, I can't blame him for being interested or for being disappointed that he won't be able to get the opportunity. But, as a lifelong baseball man he definitely understands the Orioles position that they aren't going to allow their GM to leave the day before the winter meetings start. It would be absurd.

With all due respect that's not Dan Duquette problem, and rarely if ever do these team president CEO jobs come available.

As far as the four year contract goes there is a general understanding that management is free to leave for promotions should the opportunity arise. This will have ramifications down-the-line attracting management talent and may filter down to the bench coaches. Noone wants to work for an organization where should the opportunity arise to advance yourself the owner will stand in the way.

The way I see it there are two realistic avenues for Angelos to proceed with...

He can either give the jays permission should they ask and allow them a window along with the O's to find contingencies or promote him and be done with it.

Rosenthal is the cause of all of this. He first said Orioles can't stand in the way. He also said Kenny Williams considered resigning, I guess the Jays will have multiple CEO's.

Rosenthal will start with his Ali schtick tonight. I hate him this time of year. He gets beat to the punch so he does the volunteer fireman jig.

Rosenthal is a talented writer but any chance he can stir the pot with Angelos he is eager to do it.

Exactamundo.

Duquette is smart and cagey

This isn't over.

It was interesting that he referred to the Os in the third person at the beginning of the interview and in the first person when the subjects turned to player personnel.

He also sounded interested in Melky.

Loved his lines about Kemp and Upton being too expensive in terms of the combination of dollars and prospects, but that if the Os were in the hunt in the summer, the dollars would not be too expensive.

Loved that he said Gausman is going to be one of the best pitchers in the league and isn't going anywhere.

Also found it interesting that BUCK prefers Davis at first and Pearce in the outfield -- I do as well. Duquette said he thought Davis was "improved" at first and was good in the OF, implying he thought it was better to have Pearce at first and Davis in the OF.

I favor Davis at 1B and Pearce in the OF. Love Davis being the big target at first. Note our increase in throwing errors when Davis wasn't at first.

The jays should be sued for meddling. I hate everything. Full on dan-o meltdown.

I don't think it's particularly unethical to offer a promotion to someone outside of your organization, what I don't understand is the need to leak/offer this a day before the bloody winter meetings, like seriously....

Archived