Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

Did I miss something new? Looks like this is a non issue.

Just impression from some of the reports on MLB site and mlbn. That was before I read that Angelos and DD had made a comments on it. Hopefully it's nonsense though. I'm not sure the hardball "he's under contract" is the best way to handle it or nix it though.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is truth in your words. Only a lawyer would wave a contract in your face and deny you an opportunity to advance.

Bull. You sign a CONTRACT, you live up to it.

If some team decides they want Ryan Flaherty as their starting second baseman, a promotion from the role he has with the Orioles, can they just take him from us? No, he is under contract to the Orioles.

Dan Duquette put his signature on a document saying he would work in this job for X number of years. He could have asked for, and likely gotten, a shorter contract so he could look at his options after tha time. He CHOSE not to. He probably wanted the security of a long term deal, and the money involved being guaranteed (if we fire him before the end of the contract, he still gets paid).

Now you are saying that holding someone to their word and signature is somehow some legal technicality?

If some team decides they want Ryan Flaherty as their starting second baseman, a promotion from the role he has with the Orioles, can they just take him from us? No, he is under contract to the Orioles.

Dan Duquette put his signature on a document saying he would work in this job for X number of years. He could have asked for, and likely gotten, a shorter contract so he could look at his options after tha time. He CHOSE not to. He probably wanted the security of a long term deal, and the money involved being guaranteed (if we fire him before the end of the contract, he still gets paid).

Now you are saying that holding someone to their word and signature is somehow some legal technicality?

In point of fact, Duquette originally signed a three year deal. After he made the playoffs in the first year, Angelos extended him through 2018. It's clear that Totonto hasn't actually talked to Duquette, so it's hard for me to be mad at Dan just because the Jays are interested in talking to him and maybe he'd be interested in listening.

In point of fact, Duquette originally signed a three year deal. After he made the playoffs in the first year, Angelos extended him through 2018. It's clear that Totonto hasn't actually talked to Duquette, so it's hard for me to be mad at Dan just because the Jays are interested in talking to him and maybe he'd be interested in listening.

I'm not mad at Dan either. I just objected to the idea of the post I was responding to, that holding Duquette to his contract would somehow be some sort of legal manipulation.

I'm pissed off at the Blue Jays for the timing of all this, I think it is very shady.

I know what I said and I know how it usually works. I can't think of anyone being denied the opportunity to advance, but I suppose it has happened. DD has no right to expect it, he did sign a contract. It's just a shame he signed one with a lawyer.

I know what I said and I know how it usually works. I can't think of anyone being denied the opportunity to advance, but I suppose it has happened. DD has no right to expect it, he did sign a contract. It's just a shame he signed one with a lawyer.

Maybe PAs response would have been different if the news wasn't made public the day before the Winter Meetings? The whole thing seems sketchy to me.

I kinda read the PA quote as "no one else has contacted me through a proper channel, he has a contract, and it will cost (The Blue Jays) to break that contract" Lots of people other than lawyers hold people to contracts.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>To repeat: Per sources, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>' Duquette wants to pursue <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a>' prez/CEO job. Difference in salary, responsibility significant.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not mad at Dan either. I just objected to the idea of the post I was responding to, that holding Duquette to his contract would somehow be some sort of legal manipulation.

I'm pissed off at the Blue Jays for the timing of all this, I think it is very shady.

I agree. But I think that good professional relationships have the implicit expectation that if something bigger and better comes along that the event would be grudgingly celebrated. This is particularly the case in the small clubby world of MLB. As others have said, the chance to be a MLB team president doesn’t come around very often. I think Peter’s statements perhaps reflect more a reaction to Toronto’s (or Rogers Corp’s) crass breach of protocol than an asbestos clad desire to keep Dan away from an opportunity.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>To repeat: Per sources, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>' Duquette wants to pursue <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a>' prez/CEO job. Difference in salary, responsibility significant.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Angelos can block all he wants but if he is upset for feeling stuck, that isn't good.

Do we really need the Angelos sons? Promote the man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure he would be interested in listening to them. Ken Rosenthal is just stirring a pot to get attention at the meeting. He is very upset that he does not break any actual news anymore.

Archived