Would you take Melky Cabrera on a 3 year deal?

Greg

There's not much that separates him from Markakis for me. He's not much more of a leadoff hitter than Markakis was, and we need that. Power and RBI numbers are about the same if you'd have put Markakis back in the second spot in the lineup. Defense is probably about the same by the metrics, around average at best. Not to mention he costs a pick and has been busted for PED's. If they weren't going to keep Markakis I'd just as soon find another alternative or stay in house, because I'm seen very little of an upgrade in Melky Cabrera.

You think Nick's slugging percentage would be 70 points higher if he wasn't hitting hitting leadoff?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melky would end up at 3/45 if he only gets 3 years and I would value our #26 pick in the 5-7 million dollar range so it's really a 3/50ish deal taking everything into account....

With that said give me Rasmus for 1/12 with a chance for a comp pick next year plus Morse for 2/25 or trade for Carlos Quentin (32 w/ a 1/8 + 1/10 option deal who has a career OPS+ 120 .820 career OPS, both numbers better than Mr. Nelson Cruz)....Toronto will get the comp pick from someone so that doesn't factor in at all.

So no I would only do the 3/45 deal for Melky if we lose out on all of Rasmus/Morse/Quentin.....But would be a solid piece for 2016 when De Aza/Pearce/Davis could all leave.

BTW am I the only one who would offer Pearce a 3/24+ extension ASAP?

Melky would end up at 3/45 if he only gets 3 years and I would value our #26 pick in the 5-7 million dollar range so it's really a 3/50ish deal taking everything into account....

With that said give me Rasmus for 1/12 with a chance for a comp pick next year plus Morse for 2/25 or trade for Carlos Quentin (32 w/ a 1/8 + 1/10 option deal who has a career OPS+ 120 .820 career OPS, both numbers better than Mr. Nelson Cruz)....Toronto will get the comp pick from someone so that doesn't factor in at all.

So no I would only do the 3/45 deal for Melky if we lose out on all of Rasmus/Morse/Quentin.....But would be a solid piece for 2016 when De Aza/Pearce/Davis could all leave.

BTW am I the only one who would offer Pearce a 3/24+ extension ASAP?

Yes...

There's not much that separates him from Markakis for me. He's not much more of a leadoff hitter than Markakis was, and we need that. Power and RBI numbers are about the same if you'd have put Markakis back in the second spot in the lineup. Defense is probably about the same by the metrics, around average at best. Not to mention he costs a pick and has been busted for PED's. If they weren't going to keep Markakis I'd just as soon find another alternative or stay in house, because I'm seen very little of an upgrade in Melky Cabrera.

I tend to agree. Rather go with with Morse and/or Rasmus than give MC 3/45+ and a draft pick. At this point I think I'm content just to wait things out and bottom feed on whatever is left over and/or some combination of in-house options (assuming a meaningful trade can't be worked out). Cheap chum is better than expensive chum.

I'd be more like 3/12. 3/15 tops.

Come on 3/12 is just a joke....The guy was on pace for 7+ WAR last year.....Even if he settles in as a 2 WAR guy he would be worth a 3/36 deal on the FA market....

This is a guy who has never made real MLB money in his career that's why 3/24 or 4/36 is possible...Remember he was a reallly good prospect who always hit in the minors that had some injuries hold him back from getting an extended look in the bigs until the last 2 years..

The guy is gonna get at least 3 million this year in arb and your top offer is 3/15....You clearly don't have a grasp of MLB's current market trends AT ALL...

If this guy repeats last year's production (not likely) he will get 4/48+ as a FA next year...Let's say he is more like a 3 WAR player next year (the last 2 years say this is a pretty good chance) he still is gonna get a 3/33 type deal AT LEAST..

NO AGENT IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD EVEN TELL STEVE ABOUT YOUR 3/12-15 OFFER...It woulld insult him to the point they would break off talks for good...

Come on CA your a smart guy with a good grasp of baseball....This is your worst post you have ever made....

If Steve Pearce hits 220/300/390 then sure you make him that type of offer although he would do a 1/3.5 type deal hoping to bounce back instead.

Come on 3/12 is just a joke....The guy was on pace for 7+ WAR last year.....Even if he settles in as a 2 WAR guy he would be worth a 3/36 deal on the FA market....

This is a guy who has never made real MLB money in his career that's why 3/24 or 4/36 is possible...Remember he was a reallly good prospect who always hit in the minors that had some injuries hold him back from getting an extended look in the bigs until the last 2 years..

The guy is gonna get at least 3 million this year in arb and your top offer is 3/15....You clearly don't have a grasp of MLB's current market trends AT ALL...

If this guy repeats last year's production (not likely) he will get 4/48+ as a FA next year...Let's say he is more like a 3 WAR player next year (the last 2 years say this is a pretty good chance) he still is gonna get a 3/33 type deal AT LEAST..

NO AGENT IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD EVEN TELL STEVE ABOUT YOUR 3/12-15 OFFER...It woulld insult him to the point they would break off talks for good...

Come on CA your a smart guy with a good grasp of baseball....This is your worst post you have ever made....

If Steve Pearce hits 220/300/390 then sure you make him that type of offer although he would do a 1/3.5 type deal hoping to bounce back instead.

You don't pay 1 year wonders 24m.

I tend to agree. Rather go with with Morse and/or Rasmus than give MC 3/45+ and a draft pick. At this point I think I'm content just to wait things out and bottom feed on whatever is left over and/or some combination of in-house options (assuming a meaningful trade can't be worked out). Cheap chum is better than expensive chum.

I disagree. Rasmus scares me...a lot. I don't think he offers us much. He has pop. He is still relatively young so I guess he could turn things around, but his .287 OBP this year and .289 OBP in 2012 makes me think his .338 OBP in 2013 is not likely to be reached. I do like Morse a bit, but he cannot really be counted on in the field. I would be fine with Morse, bud do not see a 3/$45M deal for Cabrera as a bad thing.

I disagree. Rasmus scares me...a lot. I don't think he offers us much. He has pop. He is still relatively young so I guess he could turn things around, but his .287 OBP this year and .289 OBP in 2012 makes me think his .338 OBP in 2013 is not likely to be reached. I do like Morse a bit, but he cannot really be counted on in the field. I would be fine with Morse, bud do not see a 3/$45M deal for Cabrera as a bad thing.

Well, yeah, other things being equal I'd take MC over Morse or Rasmus, but it's not going to be about other things being equal.

Well, thanks, I appreciate that, but at 3/24 I think you'd be vastly overpaying for something you could likely get for much less (at this point in time) imo. Pearce's production was obviously fantastic last year, but I'd say there are pretty huge question marks about his ability and production going forward.

You don't pay 1 year wonders 24m.
I don't think Pearce is a "1 year wonder". I think he has a viable role, but I don't want him playing 150 games.

And I would not give him 3/24. Not even close.

Well, thanks, I appreciate that, but at 3/24 I think you'd be vastly overpaying for something you could likely get for much less (at this point in time) imo. Pearce's production was obviously fantastic last year, but I'd say there are pretty huge question marks about his ability and production going forward.

All three of you guys are NUTS.....

Jose Bautista got 5/65 (in 2010 btw) after being a well below replacement level starter for YEARS and the had a 1.9 WAR season in 400+ at bats and 6.5 WAR in 683 at bats (yea he hit 53 hrs too)...And he NEVER hit like Steve Pearce in the Minors and Pearce was thought of as the much better prospect....

Pearce was worth .8 WAR in 44 GAMES in 2013 (He would have been 3.2 WAR in 156 games btw) and his breakout year was worth 4.9 in 300 LESS AB'S THAN JOSE........

So let's discount Pearce 4 million a year since he hasn't done it in a full season/injury concerns (even though he never got a chance)....

Then he have to add in the 5% inflation yearly that MLB has had (this is a gross understatment of MLB inflation) which would add 20% if Jose's contract was signed today...

Since Pearce is alittle older than Jose at his breakout let's give him a 3 or four year deal....

So given all that Pearce should get around 3/32 or 4/43 at least.....More fairly it should be around 3/39 or 4/48

A 3/24 is a STEAL.........You guys aren't even in the same ballpark league....You guys aren't even in the same sport...

If Pearce would sign 3/27 with a team option or two....DD and Buck should give him a big fat kiss!

Take away last year and Pearce has been a replacement-level player over parts of 7 ML seasons. If he reverts back to the production you mention, he'll be lucky to get an ML deal. I don't think he will, but it's at least as likely as him replicating a 5 WAR season. Would you want to be saddled with paying 2/21 or 3/33 to a replacement-level guy? That's a massive waste of resources.

I do think the extension idea has merit, though. Pearce has never seen real guaranteed money or years in his life. I'm sure he trusts in his abilities, but he'd be wise to take big league money while it's on the table. 3/15 is more than enough compensation for 400 great PAs, and still leaves all the risk on Baltimore (2/12) if he regresses completely.

Archived