Roch: O's sign Cuban OF Elier Leyva

McLovin

People keep saying that, but Cruz wasn't as good as Jones, arguably wasn't as good as Pearce. And you'd have a hard time saying Markakis was a good bet to be more valuable in '15 than Jones, Machado, Hardy, Wieters, maybe even Davis. Unless maybe you meant the reliever who pitched 20 innings? The O's lost two solid regulars and a late-season addition to the pen. They're probably down five or six wins, not counting the likely additions from Machado, Wieters and Davis, or the likely regression of Pearce.

Two of the best players are back.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You really believe that, don't you? You truly believe that this is a terrible organization that's produced a terrible team backed by a terrible front office and a terrible farm system.

I believe that the better Cuban players go for more money then the O's are seemingly willing to spend.

I believe that I have not been impressed with the Cuban players DD has brought on.

I believe that a 24 year old with a chance to make an impact on a MLB team probably isn't going to start in A ball.

Yes. Let's be real. We're talking about the defending AL East champs that won 96 games. We wouldn't have any good players sign here.
You really believe that, don't you? You truly believe that this is a terrible organization that's produced a terrible team backed by a terrible front office and a terrible farm system.

I think we all know this is a very good team run very well.

People keep saying that, but Cruz wasn't as good as Jones, arguably wasn't as good as Pearce. And you'd have a hard time saying Markakis was a good bet to be more valuable in '15 than Jones, Machado, Hardy, Wieters, maybe even Davis. Unless maybe you meant the reliever who pitched 20 innings? The O's lost two solid regulars and a late-season addition to the pen. They're probably down five or six wins, not counting the likely additions from Machado, Wieters and Davis, or the likely regression of Pearce.

I wouldn't classify them as top two but I think it is fair to say significant contributors (including Miller). If I remember from the past, MSK is the king of hyperbole.

Right because we don't really have scouts or guys with any kind of clue, whatsoever. It's a miracle they can even field a team capable of getting through a half inning without tripping over their own feet and falling face first into the poorly mown outfield grass.

If they're not expensive, they're not good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first part is nonsense... the second part is truth.

It's very difficult to find diamonds in the rough with regards to Cuban players anymore. Anyone who has decent major league potential is known by all 30 teams and won't come cheap through the backdoor. Still, I applaud the Orioles for giving it a shot even if it's a long shot.

I believe that the better Cuban players go for more money then the O's are seemingly willing to spend.

I believe that I have not been impressed with the Cuban players DD has brought on.

I believe that a 24 year old with a chance to make an impact on a MLB team probably isn't going to start in A ball.

Don't disagree with this at all. I think the O's have been overly conservative with Cubans, but all it takes is one outlier out of all the Urrutias and Leyvas and Alvarezes to blow that ROI up.

Don't disagree with this at all. I think the O's have been overly conservative with Cubans, but all it takes is one outlier out of all the Urrutias and Leyvas and Alvarezes to blow that ROI up.

And, as it's been noted, we don't need these guys to be a Puig or Abreu. If we have them replacing Delmon Young or, eventually, a Steve Pearce, they will be worth the investment.

But, if you can get one of the "big guys", by all means, give it a shot!

And I believe you are right on all three statements.

I believe, I believe WHAT YOU BELIEVE. :D

Alvarez has been mentioned a lot by Duquette -- you don't think he'll be any good? (honest question)

The good news is, Cuba is only one country that is part of an improving foreign scouting department. Jonathan Schoop is a signing from Curacao. Miguel Gonzalez was signed after some time in the Mexican Pacific League (and the Angels/Red Sox systems). Wei-Yin Chen from Taiwan was signed out of the NPL. These are only the first successful returns and none of them were first rate signings. I trust that more quality major leaguers will be found.

Archived