Will History Repeat Itself? DD Finding His Pedro

54_OsFan

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. Lot of chatter around Pedro (HOF elect) and what DD did to acquire him back in the day. Cueto seems to be logical choice given his comps in strikeouts, ip, etc., a reasonable 10m due in 15 then something in the neighborhood of 5/125 extension? Although we are top heavy in right handed starters as the rotation currently stands.

I for one, as an armchair GM, would be willing to dangle Bundy + other top prospects for Cueto and slot him at the top, with Chen, Tillman, Gausman then dangle Norris or Gonzalez now or mid year an pickup a crafty left handed veteran to stock an the back of end rotation.

Thoughts?

Pedro is a once-in-a-lifetime acquisition. Cueto doesn't come close to him -- the only pitcher that does is Clayton Kershaw. I do not believe Dan is worried about repeating history, nor should he. Every player, every transaction is a different case. So long as he continues to move the organization forward, that's cool with me.

Cueto meanwhile would be a great addition at the top of the rotation, but seeing as he only has one year left on his current deal I doubt the Orioles trade for him. He'll be Scherzer all over again next off season.

Offense won't be our problem in 15', it will be the question of how much our pitching staff including Tillman elevates his game to be a front of rotation starter who we can give the ball to in a must win game and know he will deliver. Tillman went only 4.1 innings while allowing 5 earned runs vs. KC in game 1 of ALCS so he's got a long way to go before he's a proven commodity in the big game. Cueto I feel would provide this assurance of the true ace, Gausman may be it as he develops over the next two years. Bundy (touted prospect) +extra for a proven ace who has swing and miss stuff...sign me up.

Offense won't be our problem in 15', it will be the question of how much our pitching staff including Tillman elevates his game to be a front of rotation starter who we can give the ball to in a must win game and know he will deliver. Tillman went only 4.1 innings while allowing 5 earned runs vs. KC in game 1 of ALCS so he's got a long way to go before he's a proven commodity in the big game. Cueto I feel would provide this assurance of the true ace, Gausman may be it as he develops over the next two years. Bundy (touted prospect) +extra for a proven ace who has swing and miss stuff...sign me up.

You do realize that Cueto is a free agent in a year, right? By the way, Cueto allowed 4 ER in 3.1 IP against the Pirates in the 2013 playoffs. So, how is he a proven commodity in a big game?

You do realize that Cueto is a free agent in a year, right? By the way, Cueto allowed 4 ER in 3.1 IP against the Pirates in the 2013 playoffs. So, how is he a proven commodity in a big game?

Would you say that Clayton Kershaw is not a big game pitcher based on his 2013/2014 playoff performances?

I love Cueto. I could see DD interested in a trade deadline rental deal for him depending on the situation. But it would take something like the Price deal to get him. That deal cost the Tigers Austin Jackson and Drew Smyly plus a prospect, two established players under team control. An equivalent deal for us might be something like Miguel Gonzalez and Schoop. The Price deal did not work out for the Tigers and I am not sure a Cueto deal works out for us.

Would you say that Clayton Kershaw is not a big game pitcher based on his 2013/2014 playoff performances?

The point is, the poster was drawing a conclusion about Tillman not being a big game pitcher based solely on the one game he pitched against KC, and then saying the cure for that was to get Cueto. So, I'm applying his own "one game proves a guy isn't a big game pitcher" logic against him. I don't really agree with the logic, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Cueto is a free agent next year. Price had a year and a half control. The Schoop Gonzalez deal would be awful for him with no pick return. We are losing enough next season. I do not want to trade controlled assets for something that leaves next off season.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. Lot of chatter around Pedro (HOF elect) and what DD did to acquire him back in the day. Cueto seems to be logical choice given his comps in strikeouts, ip, etc., a reasonable 10m due in 15 then something in the neighborhood of 5/125 extension? Although we are top heavy in right handed starters as the rotation currently stands.

I for one, as an armchair GM, would be willing to dangle Bundy + other top prospects for Cueto and slot him at the top, with Chen, Tillman, Gausman then dangle Norris or Gonzalez now or mid year an pickup a crafty left handed veteran to stock an the back of end rotation.

Thoughts?

If DD gets Cueto, there will be no Gausman and possibly Tillman to slot with at the top. They'll be taking his place in Cincinnati. Manny will probably their new 3B or SS as well.

Archived