Rotation Order

Orange

If Jimenez is poor is spring training and healthy with velocity, he will start one of the first three games of the season. It's not an open competition in the spring. I have heard Buck dismiss spring stats myself.

[video=youtube;eGDBR2L5kzI]

If Jimenez is poor is spring training and healthy with velocity, he will start one of the first three games of the season. It's not an open competition in the spring. I have heard Buck dismiss spring stats myself.
If Ubaldo is crappy during the entire ST, no way will Buck want him to start and be crappy during his first few games. It's a matter of a player's confidence. Ubaldo knows that he had a pretty awful season last year and I'm sure that he will work hard to avoid a repeat of that. It will be up to Wallace's judgment of his progress. Unless Ubaldo is horrible during ST, I believe that he should get at least 1 start at the beginning of 2015 because sending him right back to the pen would send the wrong message to him. But this will be because of Ubaldo's progress, not the fact that he makes $12M a year.

I had a chance to see part of the "Orioles Classic" on MASN the other night. It was the title clinching game against the Blue Jays. It was the 4th inning and Ubaldo was pitching (I didn't see the original telecast because I was at that game). Jim Palmer has a few comments, talking about Ubaldo's struggles and how Ubaldo had righted himself during the game; during the first two innings, he had allowed walks, hits, and 2 runs, but after that, he retired everyone that he faced. Between the 4th and 5th inning, Palmer said that Ubaldo persuaded

Buck to allow him to pitch the 5th inning. After retiring all 3 batters in the 5th, Ubaldo returned to the dugout to wild cheers and got a big hug from Buck.

This underestimates the potential value of Norris. Webb, Matusz go for prospects, sure, but not Norris. If a potential wanna be contending team loses one of their starters to injury during the spring, Norris will fetch much more than this. I think that Norris will be in the starting rotation and that Gausman will start in AAA unless we end up trading Norris for something like an outfielder/bat. Webb and Matusz go by trade I think only if Garcia and Verrett are VERY (and I mean VERY) impressive. If not, likely they will stay, though I think Webb is more likely to stay than Matusz.

That is why you trade Norris. We will get nothing of value back for Matusz or Webb. Norris, on the other hand, may get us a legit prospect or two. I want to get rid of Matusz too but nobody is going to give us anything of value for a LOOGY that costs $3M a year.

That is why you trade Norris. We will get nothing of value back for Matusz or Webb. Norris, on the other hand, may get us a legit prospect or two. I want to get rid of Matusz too but nobody is going to give us anything of value for a LOOGY that costs $3M a year.

They might get a roster spot.

Archived