Who is our 7th inning guy?

BarclaySouthway

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are right. They should trade him. But I think he has a job next year when Chen leaves if we don't.
And why in the world would any team want to trade a quality SP? Quality SPs don't grow on trees. If you get a good one, keep him. The only exception I can think of would be if the quality SP has an agent who is absolutely determined to put him on the open market as an overpaid FA.

But because of his option, he may start in AAA to make things work.

Despite what Buck has said KG could be forced to AAA to start the season. He has to be starting, not sitting in the bullpen. 90% likely tho an injury makes it all a moot point. *knockswood*

Then we are making an extremely poor decision. They jerked him around enough last year, no need to further harm his development.

Seriously. He is MLB ready at this point... If I was Gausman I'd be pretty pissed off if they keep on sending me down to AAA when I am good enough to be one of the 5 starters on the major league team.

No Doubt Gausman should be in the rotation and will very likely be one of our top SP by the end of the season. But we have the Ubaldo problem, and Gausman could effectively replace Miller in the pen. He has plenty of time to develop into a SP, and he needs to work on that third pitch.

The Garcia kid has been clocked at or near 100 mph and Buck really likes him. Maybe not right away, but after he earns his stripes. And we know our history with Rule 5 players.

I can see this happening in the 2nd half of the season. It would not surprise me to see him land on the 60 day dl to start the year and then join the bullpen after his rehab assignment is over.

No Doubt Gausman should be in the rotation and will very likely be one of our top SP by the end of the season. But we have the Ubaldo problem, and Gausman could effectively replace Miller in the pen. He has plenty of time to develop into a SP, and he needs to work on that third pitch.

Good pen pitchers are typically failed starters that can't develop that 3rd or 4th pitch. If Gausman is sent to the pen, he comes into a tight game in the 7th or 8th, he's not going to be using his third best pitch much. Not much chance to experiment there. That's why I say if nobody gets hurt he has to be starting somewhere. If AAA then so be it.

And I completely disagree about "jerking him around" or "harming his development". Pitching regularly IS his development.

Archived