Who is our 7th inning guy?

BarclaySouthway

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His splits were horrible IIRC. And terrible is a relative term with O'Day. Terrible for him.

v. LH - 4.05 ERA; .309 avg; 1.60 WHIP

v. RH - 1.29 ERA; .154 avg; 0.71 WHIP

edit: overall he was decent because 20 innings v. LH, 42 innings v. RH

v. LH - 4.05 ERA; .309 avg; 1.60 WHIP

v. RH - 1.29 ERA; .154 avg; 0.71 WHIP

edit: overall he was decent because 20 innings v. LH, 42 innings v. RH

He was better than "decent".

Keep in mind the majority of batters are RH, so a non-matchup pitcher will always have a line similar to O'Day's that year.

His 2013, while not his best, was right in the line with the rest of O'Day's Orioles career: excellent.

He was better than "decent".

Keep in mind the majority of batters are RH, so a non-matchup pitcher will always have a line similar to O'Day's that year.

His 2013, while not his best, was right in the line with the rest of O'Day's Orioles career: excellent.

Agree to disagree then. He was barely better than a ROOGY.

Don't forget Wesley Wright. Hold his own against RHBs. Loved his comments in Roch's column today. I think this guy is going to bring a different kind of energy than Matusz. Not quite as lights-out as Miller, but he is going to pitch some big innings for us this year. I think he will emerge as our top option against LHB in the 7th and 8th innings.

"I consider myself kind of a jack of all trades," he said. "I'm pretty good against lefties and I hold my own against righties. I'm a guy who likes to compete. That's one thing you know if you watch me pitch all the time. I like to compete and get out there and I'm not really afraid of any situation. I'm an emotional guy, but I don't show a lot of emotions while I pitch. I try to stay calm as possible. I'm just a guy who likes to compete."

Yeah I'm sorry but the talk of Gausman being in the pen has got to stop. I just don't get it. If he takes a single step forward, he might be at the All-Star Game as a starter THIS year.

He's a starter. In the MLB, or AAA. He is not a reliever. At any point. Well. Maybe in the postseason.

I don't think anybody thinks of Gausman as a reliever. It only came up because Gordo listed him as a bullpen possibility in the second post. A very low probability possibility.

And I might be guilty of overestimating the need for strict 7-8-9 roles on this team. But after watching what Miller did for us and what the Royals did to us, having a shutdown back end of the pen seems like a pretty good blueprint for success. There's more than one way to skin a cat, though, and I'm confident Buck will figure that way out.

Will someone please explain to me how and why Miguel Gonzalez belongs in the pen? How much experience does he have there, what is his record as a reliever? What are his recent qualifications as a relief pitcher? How well has he recently pitched in relief?

Will someone please explain to me how and why Miguel Gonzalez belongs in the pen? How much experience does he have there, what is his record as a reliever? What are his recent qualifications as a relief pitcher? How well has he recently pitched in relief?

You are right. They should trade him. But I think he has a job next year when Chen leaves if we don't.

Archived