#10 Maryland @ Rutgers 3/2

Can Maryland still win the BIG? If Wisconsin loses out? (Which won't happen)

Edit: Just checked Wisconsin's remaining schedule. They play @Minnesota on Thursday and @Ohio State on Sunday. Two good teams on the road. Maybe Wisconsin could lose out :scratchchinhmm:. Would that give UMD the Big Ten regular season title if they beat Nebraska?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, technically, maybe they can since they beat them heads up. I take my answer back. Probably but Wisconsin won't lose both games.

Just checked Wisconsin's remaining schedule. @Minnesota and @Ohio State. I'd say there's at least a chance that they lose both. Luckily they don't play Penn State at home or something like that.

I'm kind of surprised that a team this deep looks this tired but Trimble is the one exception. He runs a lot more than most and plays all high impact minutes with the ball in his hand. Even Pack, Nickens, and Smotrycz looked gassed at times tonight. How can that be? Only Wells and Graham looked fresh. Layman kind of moves in and out of looking like he has bounce. Odd.

Wiley had some nice minutes tonight. Dodd was ok.

Well, all all season they have played up and down to their competition and thy haven't been a great road team so that might be part of the reason. Trimble did look tired, but he's looked like this in the past. Smotrycz is just not a very good player. I'm guessing the injury is more severe then he's let on because he's shadow of the player we saw last year.

Wiley looked good tonight but Pack was off. Overall they were not on their game but still good enough to beat a bad Rutgers team. I still have worries the Terps could be ripe for an upset early on but if they can weather the early games they will play up to the good teams.

Can Maryland still win the BIG? If Wisconsin loses out? (Which won't happen)

Edit: Just checked Wisconsin's remaining schedule. They play @Minnesota on Thursday and @Ohio State on Sunday. Two good teams on the road. Maybe Wisconsin could lose out :scratchchinhmm:. Would that give UMD the Big Ten regular season title if they beat Nebraska?

You mean the regular season title. No, but they are guaranteed the double bye in the tourney.
Well, technically, maybe they can since they beat them heads up. I take my answer back. Probably but Wisconsin won't lose both games.
Just checked Wisconsin's remaining schedule. @Minnesota and @Ohio State. I'd say there's at least a chance that they lose both. Luckily they don't play Penn State at home or something like that.

The Big Ten has historically put emphasis on the regular season. They were originally reluctantly brought into the world of conference tournaments. The regular season champion is officially considered the conference champion, and there are no tiebreakers. So a tie at the top of the standings would be considered co-champions.

That said, the first tiebreaker for the #1 seed in the Big Ten tournament is head-to-head. So, yes, MD is still alive for the #1 seed in the tournament. But Wisconsin has clinched a share of the Big Ten Championship.

Before the year I thought the Terps would be horrible. Now they are ranked in the top ten for the first time since 2003 and are almost a shoo in for a 3 seed with a 2 looking like a good possibility. They have some weaknesses but this team has far exceeded my expectations and anything from here on out is gravy.

Before the year I thought the Terps would be horrible. Now they are ranked in the top ten for the first time since 2003 and are almost a shoo in for a 3 seed with a 2 looking like a good possibility. They have some weaknesses but this team has far exceeded my expectations and anything from here on out is gravy.[/QUOTE]

Is it though? I've seen a couple people say that but if the Terps were upset in the first round of the tourney you'd be ok with that after the year they've had? I totally understand them outperforming just about everyone's expectations, but I think they need to at least make the Sweet 16 at this point. Anything below that would be a bit of a disappointment with my current expectations. I'd still be happy with the year overall, but I'd be lying if I didn't think they now have much higher expectations.

Before the year I thought the Terps would be horrible. Now they are ranked in the top ten for the first time since 2003 and are almost a shoo in for a 3 seed with a 2 looking like a good possibility. They have some weaknesses but this team has far exceeded my expectations and anything from here on out is gravy.[/QUOTE]

Is it though? I've seen a couple people say that but if the Terps were upset in the first round of the tourney you'd be ok with that after the year they've had? I totally understand them outperforming just about everyone's expectations, but I think they need to at least make the Sweet 16 at this point. Anything below that would be a bit of a disappointment with my current expectations. I'd still be happy with the year overall, but I'd be lying if I didn't think they now have much higher expectations.

I agree that it would be a disappointment if the Terps were upset by a 14 seed in the first round, and while I would want them to live up to expectations and make the Sweet 16, I can't really say that I would consider them to have let us down if they were to lose in the second round. Any team they would be matched up against in a second round game is going to be a good team.

I agree that it would be a disappointment if the Terps were upset by a 14 seed in the first round, and while I would want them to live up to expectations and make the Sweet 16, I can't really say that I would consider them to have let us down if they were to lose in the second round. Any team they would be matched up against in a second round game is going to be a good team.

With the parity (outside of Kentucky) in college basketball, the Terps' first round matchup will likely be a pretty good team as well.

With the parity (outside of Kentucky) in college basketball, the Terps' first round matchup will likely be a pretty good team as well.

The Terps control their own destiny to become a #2 seed IMO. If they beat Nebraska and then go on to win the Big Ten Tourney, I think they'll be a 2. Which means they'd play a #15 seed in the first round. 15 seeds are normally teams that finished a handful of games above .500 in a bad conference ( and won their conference tourney, obviously). I don't think it will be a pretty good team. Maryland typically plays down to their competition though so it could be a close game.

The top ten ranking, making the tourney, and the program headed in the right direction are pretty big accomplishments based on the recent state of Maryland basketball. I would like to see them make the Sweet Sixteen and I think they can do it but I'm pretty happy with what they have done so far.

I was just thinking about this earlier. If Maryland gets a #2 seed, wouldn't they likely be the worst two seed? Thus, they're probably be in the Kentucky bracket?!

I understand that we have to get out of the first weekend before that's even a thought but I'm wondering if it might be advantageous to be the best #3 seed. Now, all of this could be messed up by the locations of the schools and their proximity to the regions (which the tournament committee places WAY too much emphasis on) but it's something to consider.

I was just thinking about this earlier. If Maryland gets a #2 seed, wouldn't they likely be the worst two seed? Thus, they're probably be in the Kentucky bracket?!

I understand that we have to get out of the first weekend before that's even a thought but I'm wondering if it might be advantageous to be the best #3 seed. Now, all of this could be messed up by the locations of the schools and their proximity to the regions (which the tournament committee places WAY too much emphasis on) but it's something to consider.

They don't rank the seeds, so to speak. All #2 seeds are equal. They try to put the top teams (#1 and #2 seeds, maybe #3 seeds also but I'm not sure) in regions that make sense geographically. Since Maryland is very close to Kentucky, they may end up in the same region anyway though.

This page has a list of the tournament sites : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament#Qualified_teams

Quite a few sites are relatively close to Maryland. Louisville, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Columbus.

They will most likely send Maryland to one of those sites. They aren't going to be sent to Portland or Seattle.

I'm not sure that is how it works. I thought geography came into play. If it is the way you suggest, however, wouldn't the top 3 seed be in the same region as the bottom 2-seed?

Archived