Go Duke!-beat Carolina

weemnj

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ONLY- because that would give Md a bye in the ACC tourney-God I hate to root for Duke.

DISCLAIMER----only if Md beats State today -

Not entirely true.

If dook wins (God forbid), but GT beats BC and VT beats Clemson, it creates a 3-way tie for 3rd between UNC, BC, and MD.

In that case, you look at combined winning percentage among the tied teams. But all 3 teams are 1-1 against the other two (UNC beat BC, BC beat MD, MD beat UNC). So it goes to the teams' records against the #1 team in theleague, which, in this case, is a tie between UVA and VT. So the tiebreaking rules state that you look at the teams' combined winning percentage against both UVA and VT.

BC: 1-1 vs VT, 1-0 vs UVA = 2-1

MD: 0-1 vs VT, 0-2 vs UVA = 0-3

UNC: 0-2 vs VT, 1-0 vs UVA = 1-2

So, in that one scenario, BC is the #3, UNC is the #4, and MD is the #5.

Heading into Sunday's games, here are all the scenarios for the top 5 seeds:

Scenario #1:

UNC win/VT win/BC win = 4-way tie for 1st (UVA, UNC, VT, BC)

1. VT 2. UNC 3. BC 4. UVA 5. MD

Scenario #2:

UNC win/VT win/BC loss = 3-way tie for 1st (UVA, UNC, VT), 2-way tie for 4th (BC, MD)

1. VT 2. UNC 3. UVA 4. BC 5. MD

Scenario #3:

UNC win/VT loss/BC win = 3-way tie for 1st (UVA, UNC, BC), 2-way tie for 4th (VT, MD)

1. UNC 2. BC 3. UVA 4. VT 5. MD

Scenario #4:

UNC win/VT loss/BC loss = 2-way tie for 1st (UVA, UNC), 3-way tie for 3rd (VT, BC, MD)

1. UNC 2. UVA 3. VT 4. BC 5. MD

Scenario #5:

UNC loss/VT win/BC win = 3-way tie for 1st (UVA, VT, BC), 2-way tie for 4th (UNC, MD)

1. BC 2. VT 3. UVA 4. MD 5. UNC

Scenario #6:

UNC loss/VT win/BC loss = 2-way tie for 1st (UVA, VT), 3-way tie for 3rd (UNC, BC, MD)

1. VT 2. UVA 3. BC 4. UNC 5. MD

Scenario #7:

UNC loss/VT loss/BC win = 2-way tie for 1st (UVA, BC), 3-way tie for 3rd (UNC, VT, MD)

1. BC 2. UVA 3. VT 4. MD 5. UNC

Scenario #8:

UNC loss/VT loss/BC loss = 4-way tie for 2nd (UNC, VT, BC, MD)

1. UVA 2. VT 3. BC 4. MD 5. UNC

Go Heels!

BTW, I'll go on the record that Scenario #2 is what I think is going to happen. Va Tech and Carolina win at home, and BC loses on the road.

That's an intriguing scenario, because a Carolina win and a BC loss also means dook falls to the #7 seed (behind GT).

Hey ND, I was curious about something. In the odd scenario you mentioned about the 3 way tie for third, how would they break the tie for first between UVa and VT?

Would it be our combined record against those 3 teams tied for 3rd, or something else?

Seeing we would lose that:

UVA (2-0 vs MD, 0-1 vs BC, 0-1 vs UNC) 2-2

VT (1-0 vs MD, 1-1 vs BC, 2-0 vs UNC) 4-1

Hey ND, I was curious about something. In the odd scenario you mentioned about the 3 way tie for third, how would they break the tie for first between UVa and VT?

Would it be our combined record against those 3 teams tied for 3rd, or something else?

Seeing we would lose that:

UVA (2-0 vs MD, 0-1 vs BC, 0-1 vs UNC) 2-2

VT (1-0 vs MD, 1-1 vs BC, 2-0 vs UNC) 4-1

This is correct. VT wins on the tiebreaker you cited.

If we get the 5 seed, we can handle them in the first round and prove that it was a fluke.

Yea in this tourney I'm looking for revenge first and foremost. We're a better team than UVA, VT, BC, obviously Miami, and I want to prove it.

Also, I wouldn't root for Duke if they were playing Osama Bin Laden.

Archived