2015 Attendance Thread

OFFNY

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so you think the Nats dent the Orioles ticket sells by 500K fans.

So at that math, 6700 fans are skipping out on the Orioles because of the team to the south.

Might be, but I don't know, did we really have that many people attending Orioles games from the south and driving 1-2 hours each way?

I mean, I can see them doing it once or twice a season, but not enough like a season ticket holder.

I think they easily dent it by 500,000 fans. It is not really provable one way or the other. Put it this way: when the O's won the AL East in 1997, they drew more than 3.7 mm fans. When they won it last year, they drew less than 2.5 mm. Do you really think it is a stretch to say that, out of the 1.25 mm fewer fans they drew in 2014 compared to 1997, 500,000 of that is because of the team 40 miles to their south that drew more than 2.5 mm last year?

I think they easily dent it by 500,000 fans. It is not really provable one way or the other. Put it this way: when the O's won the AL East in 1997, they drew more than 3.7 mm fans. When they won it last year, they drew less than 2.5 mm. Do you really think it is a stretch to say that, out of the 1.25 mm fewer fans they drew in 2014 compared to 1997, 500,000 of that is because of the team 40 miles to their south that drew more than 2.5 mm last year?

In 1997, the Orioles was 2nd in attendance that year not far behind Colorado.

Granted some of it was winning baseball and no team to the south.

But, in all fairness, the team had Ripken and much cheaper ticket prices.

But, I think Camden Yards and the fantastic new park had to factor some too, it was the first of the retro parks.

In 1997, the Orioles was 2nd in attendance that year not far behind Colorado.

Granted some of it was winning baseball and no team to the south.

But, in all fairness, the team had Ripken and much cheaper ticket prices.

But, I think Camden Yards and the fantastic new park had to factor some too, it was the first of the retro parks.

I'm not denying that there are other factors at play besides just having a team in DC. But like I said, I don't think 500,000 of the 1.25 mm decline is much of a stretch. I certainly know a lot of people who rooted for the Orioles but switched allegiance to the Nats when they moved to DC.

I'm not denying that there are other factors at play besides just having a team in DC. But like I said, I don't think 500,000 of the 1.25 mm decline is much of a stretch. I certainly know a lot of people who rooted for the Orioles but switched allegiance to the Nats when they moved to DC.

You could be right, I was thinking it wasn't as bad, but it could be.

I know a few fans that switched to DC when the Nats came, most of those were so angry at Angelos, they were ready to walk away from baseball all together.

I am in the middle of the two franchises, and while the Nats are winning too, I see still way more Orioles gear than Nats gear when out and about, especially during last season's run.

so you think the Nats dent the Orioles ticket sells by 500K fans.

So at that math, 6700 fans are skipping out on the Orioles because of the team to the south.

Might be, but I don't know, did we really have that many people attending Orioles games from the south and driving 1-2 hours each way?

I mean, I can see them doing it once or twice a season, but not enough like a season ticket holder.

Here on the eastern shore, I know a large number of STH that drive 3 hours each way. Just off the top of my head I can think of 8 people who have 29 game plans. Plus quite a few who are 13 game plan holders. And a large percentage of the people I know drive up 3-4 times a year if they aren't plan holders.

Also, doesn't MLB pay the Orioles the difference between attendance and 3MM? I read somewhere that they did as part of the MASN agreement.

Here on the eastern shore, I know a large number of STH that drive 3 hours each way. Just off the top of my head I can think of 8 people who have 29 game plans. Plus quite a few who are 13 game plan holders. And a large percentage of the people I know drive up 3-4 times a year if they aren't plan holders.

Also, doesn't MLB pay the Orioles the difference between attendance and 3MM? I read somewhere that they did as part of the MASN agreement.

Cool beans, didn't know that.

You may be conservative. I think the Angelos hate brigade, especially those south of Baltimore, went Nationals and left the Os behind.

No. The Orioles weren't drawing 3 mm even before the Nats arrived. They drew 2.74 mm in 2004, and had drawn as low as 2.45 mm in 2003. That's what having a losing team for 7 years in a row will do for you.

MLB did guarantee a minimum sales price if Peter Angelos decided to sell the team. That price is irrelevant now because the value of sports franchises has skyrocketed in the last ten years.

No. It was a sale price floor for the franchise. It is the Nationals that have the MLB subsidy. I think.

No. The Orioles weren't drawing 3 mm even before the Nats arrived. They drew 2.74 mm in 2004, and had drawn as low as 2.45 mm in 2003. That's what having a losing team for 7 years in a row will do for you.

MLB did guarantee a minimum sales price if Peter Angelos decided to sell the team. That price is irrelevant now because the value of sports franchises has skyrocketed in the last ten years.

Yeah. This.

Thanks for clarifying. I must have misread or combined a few articles.

Archived