Roch: Josh Kusnick (Agent39) Speaks of Clevenger Demotion

weams

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/04/clevengers-agent-wonders-what-future-holds-for-catcher.html

"I don't understand it from my side. I've been doing this for 13 years now and I've never seen a situation like it before. I'm not one to comment too much on how clubs operate and run their teams. That's their prerogative. But if the Orioles are trying to create roster flexibility and they go ahead and put a guy on the 40-man with no options and took a guy with flexibility and send him down and all of the sudden the flexibility evaporates. I don't understand the long-term plan here for Steve right now."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't blame Clevenger for being unhappy and I don't blame Kusnick for standing up for his guy. I think it's pretty obvious that the O's like Lavarnway a little better, though Buck isn't coming right out and saying that.

I don't blame Clevenger for bring unhappy and I don't blame KBuck for standing up for his guy. I think it's pretty obvious that the O's like Lavarnway a little better, though Buck isn't coming right out and saying that.

I think everyone knows that Lavarnway catches better.

It definitely sounds like DD and the organization are not the best communicators. The O's have to do what the O's have to do, but they should be a little careful with communication and the weird roster gluts if the plan is really to out "opportunity" other organizations.

The only way I really know that is that it seems that Showalter feels that way. Otherwise, can you really tell by watching them?

I thought I could. He appears to catch the pitchers well and has a better arm and foot work. From my vantage only.

It definitely sounds like DD and the organization are not the best communicators. The O's have to do what the O's have to do, but they should be a little careful with communication and the weird roster gluts if the plan is really to out "opportunity" other organizations.

I doubt that any communication of this issue here would have made anyone happier. I think we have tried to trade three guys we do not need or particularly want. I think we have been unsuccessful. Leads to tough communication as some point. I do think that in many cases the players we keep are happier when upgrades occur.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Where is T.J. McFarland's agent right now? Think he is happy Garcia is on the O's over McFarland? These things usually work themselves out.</p>— Matt Kremnitzer (@mattkremnitzer) <a href="

">April 8, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This seems a bit out-of-character for our "shuffle" guys. Most guys who come here who are likely going to be role players, seem to know how the O's operate and appreciate the opportunities they are given. Maybe there was some bad communication on this one, but I think anyone who has seen the O's operate during DD's tenure shouldn't be surprised by Clevenger's status.

Clevenger has thrown out 13% of the runners that attempt to steal against him inthe major leagues and pitchers put up a 4.81 ERA to him. At the end of the day, he needs to be able to control the running game and call a better game to catch for Buck. I understand his and his agent's frustration because he clearly seems to have the stick to play at this level as a backup catcher, but he probably needs to be on a team with a manager who values the bat over the defense for their backup catcher.

It's pretty clear. Steve's value comes in his ability to be shuffled up and down. He's an iffy ML backup and this is about as good as he will find.

There is no value if he isn't going to be used at the major league level. If they want a PH for a few games, call up Walker or Urrutia now. Just release Cleveger and move along.

Archived