Roch: O's don't like Penn's attitude

Frobby

Just the fact that he felt he needed to spout off to reporters is a reflection on Penn. All things aside...Flanagan probably was reinforcing team policy...which is all together fitting and proper.

How is he spouting off? You think the reporters didn't ask him about Penn, and he volunteered the info just to make him look bad? He was stating simple facts. Duquettes remarks are much more critical.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is he spouting off? You think the reporters didn't ask him about Penn, and he volunteered the info just to make him look bad? He was stating simple facts. Duquettes remarks are much more critical.

Not up for an argument over this. Where are Duquette's comments posted?

Could you also admit that Markakis looked awful for about 2 months last year, and if we judged him on those two months instead of his minor league numbers, we would have assumed that he stunk and would never cut it in the majors?

I could, sure. But you know as well as I do these are two different cases and should be treated as such. I understand the whole small sample size thing. That dead horse has been shot in the face.

However, since we're insisting on using the Markakis comparison, I think Markakis is a better hitting prospect than Penn is a pitching prospect.

I started the thread based on Roch's blog comments, but now that I've read what Perlozzo said I don't think this is such a big deal. If Penn doesn't make the team this won't be the reason. He'll probably have 2 more outings this spring and let's see how he fares. He has an uphill battle to make the squad in any event.

Could you also admit that Markakis looked awful for about 2 months last year, and if we judged him on those two months instead of his minor league numbers, we would have assumed that he stunk and would never cut it in the majors?
Knott's MiL numbers are better than Nicks and the sample size is much larger so maybe we should consider sending Nick down and playing Knott in RF. He sure hits lefties better.

I could, sure. But you know as well as I do these are two different cases and should be treated as such. I understand the whole small sample size thing. That dead horse has been shot in the face.

However, since we're insisting on using the Markakis comparison, I think Markakis is a better hitting prospect than Penn is a pitching prospect.

How are they different?

With all the crap the Orioles allowed from Ponson, the allegations against Penn seem incredibly petty.

But let them have their "veteran pitcher who can eat innings" in Trachsel. Once his record is 2-7 with a 5.50+ ERA, let's see how horrible Penn's attitude is then.

How are they different?

Well ones a pitcher, ones a hitter. Do I really have to spell it out for you? ;)

RZNJ, Kakes at least showed flashes of why he was touted as being a top hitting prospect. Penn really hasn't, IMO.

The FO and Sam obviously thought enough of Kakes to stick with him the whole time. Why don't they think enough of Penn to let him sink or swim like they did with Kakes? After all, he has nothing left to prove at AAA right? Why'd they essentially waste 3 million on Trachsel instead?

But then again, the FO sucks, Sam doesn't know anything...

RZNJ, Kakes at least showed flashes of why he was touted as being a top hitting prospect. Penn really hasn't, IMO.
Totally wrong...Markakis didn't show anymore in April and May at the majors than Penn had in his first 4 or 5 ML starts.
The FO and Sam obviously thought enough of Kakes to stick with him the whole time. Why don't they think enough of Penn to let him sink or swim like they did with Kakes? After all, he has nothing left to prove at AAA right? Why'd they essentially waste 3 million on Trachsel instead?
Now you want us to talk about the logic of a team that has done nothing but make terrible decision after terrible decision the last 9 years??

Funny. When you take age, and a number of other factors into it, Markakis was clearly a better prospect/player, but I wouldn't doubt that Knott can hit LHP's better than Nick if he gets a chance.

Don't forget that Knott was blocked, don't hold that against him. He has consitantly hit with more power than Nick and if I remember correctly his righty splits are a lot better than Nick's splits against lefties. Damn that Perlozzo letting Nick's veteran presence block Knott again. Or Maybe it's Angelos' Greco-centralism?

Now you want us to talk about the logic of a team that has done nothing but make terrible decision after terrible decision the last 9 years??

Well do you have an answer for it? Why let Nick sink or swim and not let Penn do the same? Clearly their actions speak louder than their words, else they wouldn't doubt Penn like they do. What are they protecting him from?

I think the O's media is too critical of human beings. Give the guy a break. Yeah it will be just devastating for the O's to give up on him because pressure got to him. Maybe the world should give up on everybody because we all break down on pressure in some point in our life. I wish the OH can make a thread on bashing the media that ruins peoples lives just to get a greedy story.

Archived