Roch: O's don't like Penn's attitude

Frobby

I think this is the wrong thought process. Giving up 2 runs in 2 inning is not good. It doesn't matter if it is to a good hitter or not. Guthrie if he makes the team probably is going to have to face Ortiz, Manny and Drew or Jeter, ARod and Giambi. Saying that giving up 2 runs in 2 inning is not bad in not the thinking the O's should condone.

Is Guthrie still the leading candidate for long reliever? I think he is, but he has to do better if he wants to hold that spot no matter how many he strikes out.

Hey it was the first runs he's given up all spring... not too bad, eh? If only Trachsel could throw up the same spring resume.:002_sbiggrin:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm no fan of the press, particularly sports(writers?) Roch excepted. But what do you expect them to do? Penn is slated to start? How he does is a hot topic. Then he is removed from the start saying he was late because of anequipment malfunction. Are they suposed to say OK an leave it at that or shouldn't they look in to it and find out what's going on?

OK I agree, Penn made a mistake and a poor decision to cause him to be late and it was a mistake. But what I disagree with is why the media has to blow it up to be a mountain? It shouldn't have been even published by the media, it was an innocent mistake.

I think this is the wrong thought process. Giving up 2 runs in 2 inning is not good. It doesn't matter if it is to a good hitter or not. Guthrie if he makes the team probably is going to have to face Ortiz, Manny and Drew or Jeter, ARod and Giambi. Saying that giving up 2 runs in 2 inning is not bad in not the thinking the O's should condone.

Is Guthrie still the leading candidate for long reliever? I think he is, but he has to do better if he wants to hold that spot no matter how many he strikes out.

Not everyone can be perfect. It was the first 2 runs he's let in 10 innings of work, no?

OK I agree, Penn made a mistake and a poor decision to cause him to be late and it was a mistake. But what I disagree with is why the media has to blow it up to be a mountain? It shouldn't have been even published by the media, it was an innocent mistake.

When your starting pitcher is late to the park, it's an issue and a story.

Again, the main focus here is that Penn didn't call. Would any responsible person not call their boss or manager if they were late to work when they're expected to be there at a certain time?

I'm not saying it speaks volumes about Penn, but it might give a little insight to how he is.

When your starting pitcher is late to the park, it's an issue and a story.

Again, the main focus here is that Penn didn't call. Would any responsible person not call their boss or manager if they were late to work when they're expected to be there at a certain time?

I'm not saying it speaks volumes about Penn, but it might give a little insight to how he is.

And again, dude is 22 or 23 years old. Treat it as a lesson and move on.

Not to beat my chest here, but when I was 22, I knew I should have called in. I was a manager for crying out loud.

I hope Penn takes it as a lesson and moves on. I was simply pointing out why this was a story.

When I was 22, I was running around campus drunk in a toga chasing hot freshman.

Not to beat my chest here, but when I was 22, I knew I should have called in. I was a manager for crying out loud.

I hope Penn takes it as a lesson and moves on. I was simply pointing out why this was a story.

Penn also has basically been playing baseball full-time since he was a kid. Never went to college. Probably has never been on a job interview.

The stuff about him being late today isn't good but this seems bs to me as well.

OMG, he was in a hurry to complete a rehab assignment? That is awful!

I mean, here is a guy who was pitching great and was ready to maybe never appear in the minors again and then he has an appendectomy and he was rushing to get back to the top of the mountain? And this is a bad thing?

What a joke.

This team just looks for excuses to be stupid. This gives the Orioles an excuse to send him down despite Trachsel's numbers.

Well said.

Unfortunately the article is not up on line, but in today's Post Dave Trembley came out with a strong defense of Penn:

"I don't see him as distracted or disruptive. I don't see him as that type of person. I see him as wanting to do so well all the time. The guy, he's real quiet but he's got a lot of fire in him. Just shake his hand. You shake his hand he gives that real firm grip. He's nothing but a very nice young man.

He came up last September and I think he tried to maybe do a little too much. I've always tried to tell Hayden that your opportunity in the big leagues should not be looked upon as a tryout. Because the guy has got the ability to pitch. But sometimes he puts a lot of pressure on himself and he won't say that to you and he'll come across as he's rather aloof or he doesn't care or things don't bother him. And I've found him to be quite the opposite because I've had many conversations with him one-on-one and he's not like that."

From what I've gathered from reading that article, and haven't seen it mentioned here was not so much forgetting the equipment bag. It seems to infer that he was under the impression that he is above loading his own bag, and left it there on the bench and noone picked it up and put it on the bus.

Now I really don't believe this situation is a big deal, but that is the impression I got when I read it. It made him seem like Barry Bonds or something to me in reading that.

Archived