Roch: O's don't like Penn's attitude

Frobby

Just from a business perspective, the O's shouldn't let stories like this out. Penn is potential trade bait if nothing else and the worse we make him look the worse he will look to potential teams. As far as trading goes, players are products and the O's do not market products well.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the O's media is too critical of human beings. Give the guy a break. Yeah it will be just devastating for the O's to give up on him because pressure got to him. Maybe the world should give up on everybody because we all break down on pressure in some point in our life. I wish the OH can make a thread on bashing the media that ruins peoples lives just to get a greedy story.

Sorry but if you think Roch is being critical of Penn you are totally wrong.

Your argument's all wet. Frobby has posted before, Penn's first 4 or 5 starts as a 20 year old, and they were decent. Not great but decent, and very impressive for a 20 year old pitcher. So yes, IMO, he did show something. He was as bad as you possibly can be last year. You want to dwell on that. Markakis had a good spring and a good first week of the season. He was AWFUL after that. You seem to want to ignore that right now.

Ok, Moose. I didn't say Penn was ready. I have no problem if he starts at Norfolk. I'm just not writing him off like you are. And it's good to see you have so much confidence in the FO and Perlozzo. I guess we should see this as a consistent point of view in your posts, right?

I'm not ignoring it, it is what it is. Markakis sucked for the first little bit, but no one can see to answer why they dragged Trachsel's rotting arm in for 3 million but don't have enough faith in Penn. I'd much rather have Penn in there instead of Trachsel because it's obvious he has some sort of potential when Trax is on his last legs.

Clearly there's a disconnect here between the FO/Sam. Or is there? I know Sam-bashing is the new OH fad but maybe they...gasp, know something we don't? And where's Mazzone in all of this, too?

I never said that YOU said that Penn was ready but others on this board have implied they feel that he is. I'm pretty ambivalent towards Sam and the FO, I'm willing to give them another season before I start calling for heads.

Depth...We had no OFers and we have 5 starters.

They wanted the vet over the young player...Perlozzo basically said that in the recent Sun/Trachsel article.

5 starters? Come on. Wright and Trachsel? Old fartknockers vs the young hot prospect that everyone seems to love? You know Wright's gonna break down and Trachsel's gonna have a 5+ Era for the entire season.

Depth? Why not have the infamous Terrero take Markakis's spot when he was struggling? There wasn't a better option at AAA?

5 starters? Come on. Wright and Trachsel? Old fartknockers vs the young hot prospect that everyone seems to love? You know Wright's gonna break down and Trachsel's gonna have a 5+ Era for the entire season.

Depth? Why not have the infamous Terrero take Markakis's spot when he was struggling? There wasn't a better option at AAA?

MM...I don't know what you are trying to get at...These are the reasons why the Orioles wanted these guys...It is obvious.

Whether you like the reasons or not doesn't change anything...This is what it is.

Penn will pitch this season at the ripe ole age of 22. He's breezed through the minors, and except for an appendectamy he would have been a starter for 2/3 of the season last year. He's accomplished everything he needs to get a shot at the ML rotation on the field, but he's still a kid really. He made a little mistake...big deal! It's not like he's been a problem before. Move on.

When this kid gets comfortable on the ML level, I think he's going to be worth the patience. I saw him on Monday and he got hit around pretty good. Every ball hit was hit hard. But it's still very early spring. I just hope he isn't one of those west coast kids that needs to be on the west coast to be happy.

http://orioleshangout.com/profile.asp?ID=21

Well do you have an answer for it? Why let Nick sink or swim and not let Penn do the same? Clearly their actions speak louder than their words, else they wouldn't doubt Penn like they do. What are they protecting him from?

Letting one hitter in your lineup sink or swim is easier than letting one of your starting pitchers do it, I suppose. And Penn has been OK this spring, but he had a late start and really hasn't had the kind of "wow" spring that Markakis had last year.

Does Jim Hoey suck because the O's brought in Danys Baez? Did the O's lose faith in him? They simply were scared by Penn's September and didn't want to have to count on him this year. If he proved he was ready, that would be a bonus. I'm not arguing that the O's may have lost a little confidence in Penn. I'm arguing that that were awfully high on him last May and the year before. It's just not smart to let an awful September change their opinon of him, if they have. You have. :)

A good point.

I just think there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about with Penn.

Clearly the teams opinion wasn't changed of Markakis in the first two months. But I guess Sam keeping him in the lineup wouldn't get any credit there now would he? ;)

Letting one hitter in your lineup sink or swim is easier than letting one of your starting pitchers do it, I suppose. And Penn has been OK this spring, but he had a late start and really hasn't had the kind of "wow" spring that Markakis had last year.

True.

Though Trachsel's sinking looks like it's already started ;)

I think the O's media is too critical of human beings. Give the guy a break. Yeah it will be just devastating for the O's to give up on him because pressure got to him. Maybe the world should give up on everybody because we all break down on pressure in some point in our life. I wish the OH can make a thread on bashing the media that ruins peoples lives just to get a greedy story.

I'm no fan of the press, particularly sports(writers?) Roch excepted. But what do you expect them to do? Penn is slated to start? How he does is a hot topic. Then he is removed from the start saying he was late because of anequipment malfunction. Are they suposed to say OK an leave it at that or shouldn't they look in to it and find out what's going on?

You quoted my post but I have no idea who you are arguing with or about. Make some sense El Gordo. Did you bring your laptop to happy hour?

You were contending that Nick was a better prospect than Knott and I'm taking issue with that based on the MiL numbers.

Trachsel is chained to a couple of cement blocks.

...and they're not anywhere close to AAA ;)

Back to Penn, I think Sammy's comments were really reassuring. From what little he said, it looked to me like this little incident will have nothing to do with where he starts the season. I think Trax decline and Penn's performance in SP will have the most to do with it.

Trax will start in the rotation and Penn will probably start in the minors. Yet, if Taschsel doesn't put anything up, Sammy will call up Hayden just like he did last year when he needed to call someone up.

Archived