Conine retires

PaulFolk

Jeff Conine is going to sign a 1-day contract with the Marlins and then retire.

When the O's got him in '99, I remember thinking, "Who is this nobody?" But he ended up being a decent contributor to the team for 5 years, and was a guy who always gave it his all on the field (unlike other veteran Orioles we've seen). Kudos to the former Oriole and clubhouse cutup for a nice career.

Niner is a class act. Were he not already Mr. Marlin he easily could have become Mr. Royal or Mr. Oriole, he was that well-liked everywhere he went. Not the most talented guy ever, but he played hard and played wherever the manager asked him.

Not the most talented guy ever, but he played hard and played wherever the manager asked him.

I agree.

It killed me that, during his latter years with the Orioles, I always hated the fact that he was on the team. That was because I thought we should have been playing younger guys instead of declining vets, not because I didn't love Niner.

His is the type of player I respect the most - someone who didn't have the most talent, but made it out of sheer force of will. While I'm not generally someone who values "chemistry" and other intangibles too highly, I do think that it's important to have guys like Niner among the young hot shots, just to show them what work ethic looks like.

Nice career, Jeff. I hope to see you on the O's coaching staff someday.

I agree.

It killed me that, during his latter years with the Orioles, I always hated the fact that he was on the team. That was because I thought we should have been playing younger guys instead of declining vets, not because I didn't love Niner.

His is the type of player I respect the most - someone who didn't have the most talent, but made it out of sheer force of will. While I'm not generally someone who values "chemistry" and other intangibles too highly, I do think that it's important to have guys like Niner among the young hot shots, just to show them what work ethic looks like.

Nice career, Jeff. I hope to see you on the O's coaching staff someday.

I agree with this, and think teh same about Millar now. I wish we were playing Moore over him, but I love the intagibles he brings, and though I didnt agree with his post-season BoSox rally cries, I still like him as an unofficial coach for our young guys. But, not to take away from Niner, good luck to him, hes got the drive to do anything he wants, and I think he'll wind up making a great coach with some club if thats what he wants to do.

He will be a coach somewhere some day.

He had a very solid career.

He had a 16 year career with a career OPS of 790.

Hit over 200 homers and was just shy of 2000 hits.

He has a ring and was a very solid contributor on contending teams.

Doesnt Conine have 2 rings (1997 and 2003 w/ Marlins?)

Niner is a class act. Were he not already Mr. Marlin he easily could have become Mr. Royal or Mr. Oriole, he was that well-liked everywhere he went. Not the most talented guy ever, but he played hard and played wherever the manager asked him.

Isn't he a world class handball or racketball player? I always thought he was talented.

The thing I always loved best about Niner, if he fouled a ball off his foot or shin, other guys would be hopping around, grimacing. Niner didn't. Never lost his game face. Just back in the box and let's do it again. He was like a Terminator.

Had a wonderful, quick, short swing too. No "cocking mechanism" like most. Just straight to the ball. Not as good as Molitor's, but much like it.

Also loved this.

Archived