Duquette - "We'll be active on the trade front." (Buyers)

TonySoprano

I completely understand the angst in watching Arrieta pitch well with the Cubs. But he was in a freefall in Baltimore, getting worse results every year for four years. A contending team can't continue to give starts to someone with a ERA of 6 or 7. And while he had an option, his Norfolk performances were lackluster at best. Sometimes it's only in making a clean break and moving on that a person can reset, get a clear head, and fix what's wrong.

The fact of the matter was that Jake was not going to be tendered a contract. No matter what, So he would have been like the Orioles J.D. Martinez. Probably for the Yankees. At least we controlled where he is doing his damage.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Arrieta narrative that has grown on this site is pretty impressive. Yesterday someone posted Arrieta was finally able to succeed once he was traded from Baltimore and finally decided to take to heart and implement what Baltimore had been trying to teach him before giving up on him. I know some Cubs folks that might take issue with that.

Arrieta was a swing and miss for Baltimore -- it happens. The Cubs looked at him and identified him as an undervalued arm that could be useful with certain small changes, and potentially impactful with larger changes. They traded for him, made the small tweaks in 2013 (to almost immediate success) and worked with him to implement larger changes leading up to the 2014 season. He has been very good; Baltimore development didn't get it done. That's not solely on this administration, of course, which is why I don't get the narrative that seems to have been adapted by a vocal collection.

It's okay to point out a miss -- I promise your Orioles fan card will not burst into flames and you will not be locked out of OPACY.

The Arrieta narrative that has grown on this site is pretty impressive. Yesterday someone posted Arrieta was finally able to succeed once he was traded from Baltimore and finally decided to take to heart and implement what Baltimore had been trying to teach him before giving up on him. I know some Cubs folks that might take issue with that.

Arrieta was a swing and miss for Baltimore -- it happens. The Cubs looked at him and identified him as an undervalued arm that could be useful with certain small changes, and potentially impactful with larger changes. They traded for him, made the small tweaks in 2013 (to almost immediate success) and worked with him to implement larger changes leading up to the 2014 season. He has been very good; Baltimore development didn't get it done. That's not solely on this administration, of course, which is why I don't get the narrative that seems to have been adapted by a vocal collection.

It's okay to point out a miss -- I promise your Orioles fan card will not burst into flames and you will not be locked out of OPACY.

I do recall him being asked to scrap some of the six pitches that he was getting hammered using as an Oriole. Other than that, hats off to the Cubs. They have unleashed the beast.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Justin Turner has a better average than Machado. He has a better OBP than Bryant. He has a better SLG than Donaldson</p>— Ray Flowers (@BaseballGuys) <a href="

">July 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Justin Turner has a better average than Machado. He has a better OBP than Bryant. He has a better SLG than Donaldson</p>? Ray Flowers (@BaseballGuys) <a href="
">July 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Still don't get why the team gave up on Turner so fast.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The cutter thing again.

The Orioles, in fact, deter their minor leaguers from developing the cutter, believing it's more productive to work on a slider or curve with more depth in its break.

"Some pitching coaches will tell you it takes away from the fastball," Showalter says. "Some will say if it's thrown properly, it doesn't matter. Some people say you twist it off sooner or do you hold on through it. Everybody has a theory."

Arrieta's theory is that it's a difference-maker in his career, not to mention the impact the pitch's increased use is having on major league hitters.

"Absolutely," he says. "I can throw it both sides of the plate. I can throw it up and in to a lefty, up and in to a righty, front door it, back door it. I can throw it to all four different parts of the strike zone."

When done correctly, it all seems so simple.

"All you're trying to do is take guys off the sweet part of the bat," says Showalter. "That's why it's so attractive to people. The guy in New York, Rivera, he was a freak."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/07/29/mlb-declining-offense-cutter-cut-fastball/13320727/

The cutter thing again.

The Orioles, in fact, deter their minor leaguers from developing the cutter, believing it's more productive to work on a slider or curve with more depth in its break.

"Some pitching coaches will tell you it takes away from the fastball," Showalter says. "Some will say if it's thrown properly, it doesn't matter. Some people say you twist it off sooner or do you hold on through it. Everybody has a theory."

Arrieta's theory is that it's a difference-maker in his career, not to mention the impact the pitch's increased use is having on major league hitters.

"Absolutely," he says. "I can throw it both sides of the plate. I can throw it up and in to a lefty, up and in to a righty, front door it, back door it. I can throw it to all four different parts of the strike zone."

When done correctly, it all seems so simple.

"All you're trying to do is take guys off the sweet part of the bat," says Showalter. "That's why it's so attractive to people. The guy in New York, Rivera, he was a freak."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/07/29/mlb-declining-offense-cutter-cut-fastball/13320727/

And that is the key question. In another thread we were talking about Orioles developing fewer stud pitchers than other organizations. And some attribute it to mostly luck, saying there a isn't that big a difference in philosophies of pitcher development in organizations.

Well, here is one area where the Orioles organization has staked out a strong position that many other organizations have not. We don't want our kids throwing the cutter.

Is it at least possible that perhaps the Orioles are wrong here and it could be hurting us?

(Another *possible* difference between the Os organization and others is our strong emphasis on TTTP. Could this cause us to miss out on promoting some pitchers who do not meet our standards in TTTP, or perhaps modifying some kids' deliveries so that they do have good TTTP hinders their development? Not saying I believe this, just asking the question).

With Buck being an ex catcher and his affinity for Wieters, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Wieters the Orioles #1 priority this offseason.

He can make Wieters anything he wants he's not the guy who signs FA, and the O's aren't outbidding the LAD and the Braves, among other.

Archived