Duquette - "We'll be active on the trade front." (Buyers)

TonySoprano

Sounds to me more like they will be big players on Wieters FA.

10-4 on that one!!! Georgia Tech star returns home and joins his buddy Nick M. I can see Boras squeezing the heck out of the Braves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And that is the key question. In another thread we were talking about Orioles developing fewer stud pitchers than other organizations. And some attribute it to mostly luck, saying there a isn't that big a difference in philosophies of pitcher development in organizations.

Well, here is one area where the Orioles organization has staked out a strong position that many other organizations have not. We don't want our kids throwing the cutter.

Is it at least possible that perhaps the Orioles are wrong here and it could be hurting us?

(Another *possible* difference between the Os organization and others is our strong emphasis on TTTP. Could this cause us to miss out on promoting some pitchers who do not meet our standards in TTTP, or perhaps modifying some kids' deliveries so that they do have good TTTP hinders their development? Not saying I believe this, just asking the question).

Whatever it is, it would sure be nice to have a young guy like Gallardo that we saw yesterday. That young man is only getting better. He reminded me a lot of Felix Hernandez. Or to have a guy like Scherzer, or Kershaw, or Lincecum back in the day, or Chris Sale, etc. etc.

Whatever it is, it would sure be nice to have a young guy like Gallardo that we saw yesterday. That young man is only getting better. He reminded me a lot of Felix Hernandez. Or to have a guy like Scherzer, or Kershaw, or Lincecum back in the day, or Chris Sale, etc. etc.

Gallardo is 29 years old and has more than 7 years of service. That kid Gausman pitched pretty well, though.

And that is the key question. In another thread we were talking about Orioles developing fewer stud pitchers than other organizations. And some attribute it to mostly luck, saying there a isn't that big a difference in philosophies of pitcher development in organizations.

Well, here is one area where the Orioles organization has staked out a strong position that many other organizations have not. We don't want our kids throwing the cutter.

Is it at least possible that perhaps the Orioles are wrong here and it could be hurting us?

(Another *possible* difference between the Os organization and others is our strong emphasis on TTTP. Could this cause us to miss out on promoting some pitchers who do not meet our standards in TTTP, or perhaps modifying some kids' deliveries so that they do have good TTTP hinders their development? Not saying I believe this, just asking the question).

They have been vocal about the cutter but other organizations also don't like it Does anyone know when it started and under what regime? Did Duquette or Showalter ban the cutter.Pedersen or someone else. The Post said Scherzer is using his cutter more this year I read the Nationals are also not big on the cutter. They also have that philosophy on pitchers who have Tommy John surgery only have eight or so good years after having it.They probably won't sign some of their free agent pitcher's because of it..

They have been vocal about the cutter but other organizations also don't like it Does anyone know when it started and under what regime? Did Duquette or Showalter ban the cutter.Pedersen or someone else. The Post said Scherzer is using his cutter more this year I read the Nationals are also not big on the cutter. They also have that philosophy on pitchers who have Tommy John surgery only have eight or so good years after having it.They probably won't sign some of their free agent pitcher's because of it..

Definitely appears to something Duquette implemented at the minor league development level. I'm not sure about policy at the ML level and with more experienced pithcers. Some guys still throw it and others don't or perhaps throw it less (i.e. Hunter who has basically scrapped it). I think the issue with Bundy was exaggerated as his was a breaking ball and de-facto slider. He throw it at the ML level though there was some nonsense with Buck going on about it being a slider and not a cutter.

We have so many free agents this offseason, we have no idea what kind of team Schoop will be playing on in the future. The Orioles are built to win this season. They can will it all with Sale. Without an ace like him, I think we'll fall short, like we did against the Royals last year. If we'd had someone like Sale last season, the Orioles probably would have won Game 1 of the ALDS and the entire series might have played out differently. The Orioles are missing a dominant ace who can carry them in the playoffs and take the ball 2 or 3 times in a 7-game series and be lights out more often than not. As is, we have a bunch of #3 starters and Ubaldo Jimenez, who can pitch like an ace for long stretches but also struggle with his mechanics and lose his command at any time. And his struggles can last for months at a time - sometimes longer, like we saw up close last year. Ubaldo was both terrific for half a season and awful for half a season within the same year in 2013. I don't trust him to be pitching the way he is now in October.

Schoop is the ideal centerpiece to get Sale. We don't have anyone else of value outside of Machado who would realistically get a deal done. Sale is signed through 2017 with completely reasonable team options in 2018 and 2019. He's an extremely valuable and known commodity with a good contract. Schoop is a talented young player with an unknown ceiling due to his plate discipline issues, and he's coming back from a serious injury which he could potentially aggravate. I'd try to come up with a package built around Schoop and Bundy+ to get Sale and not look back. And I think highly of Schoop and his ceiling.

I feel that the number of FA would make a young, controlled 2b with power all the more important to our future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel that the number of FA would make a young, controlled 2b with power all the more important to our future.

Schoop is one of my favorite O's. But I'd be all about trading him for a controllable ACE like Sale. This is definitely the year for the O's to go for it, with the AL being so wide open.

Schoop is one of my favorite O's. But I'd be all about trading him for a controllable ACE like Sale. This is definitely the year for the O's to go for it, with the AL being so wide open.

The problem is that it's not just schoop. It would have to be something like schoop, gausman and bundy or something like that. Sales deal makes the white sox trading him away a much less likely proposition.

The problem is that it's not just schoop. It would have to be something like schoop, gausman and bundy or something like that. Sales deal makes the white sox trading him away a much less likely proposition.

I'd be fine with Bundy and Schoop + for Sale. He's the type of guy to get with that contract. The WS should realize they are a few years away. I really don't care what the "+" is as long as it's not Reyes.

Sale is Schoop, Gausman, Sisco, Mancini.

Sale is Schoop, Gausman, Sisco, Mancini.

Patience people. We need to build the farm, not ravage it. You trade for any one person and you trade 4 players for them, you run the risk of that person getting injured and you team going into a swoon for years. I remember Tom Boswell writing after we acquired Glen Davis that we just won the east. How did that work out? How did Eric Bedard work out for the Mariners? I say no to any 4-1 deals like this.

Patience people. We need to build the farm, not ravage it. You trade for any one person and you trade 4 players for them, you run the risk of that person getting injured and you team going into a swoon for years. I remember Tom Boswell writing after we acquired Glen Davis that we just won the east. How did that work out? How did Eric Bedard work out for the Mariners? I say no to any 4-1 deals like this.

I hear Glenn Davis and tear up:)

Agree 100% Sale is great but pass.

I completely agree. We need some of these guys down on the farm to come up over the next few years and give us six years of cost controlled play for us to remain competitive. Giving up 3 or 4 of our best young guys for one veteran player is not something we should be doing.

I'd be fine with Bundy and Schoop + for Sale. He's the type of guy to get with that contract. The WS should realize they are a few years away. I really don't care what the "+" is as long as it's not Reyes.

As weams said (and I mentioned in my previous post) it's not bundy and schoop +, it's more like schoop, gausman, bundy +

As weams said (and I mentioned in my previous post) it's not bundy and schoop +, it's more like schoop, gausman, bundy +

Plus, Reinsdorf is the one who dimed out Big Ed Rogers. No need to video game fleece him.

Archived