Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

I like Parra honestly but strongly against trade. I thought Alvarez should have been recalled long ago. If we had done that and kept Davies, he might be helping us with resting Gonzo.

Man, DD has had a really bad year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Parra honestly but strongly against trade. I thought Alvarez should have been recalled long ago. If we had done that and kept Davies, he might be helping us with resting Gonzo.

Man, DD has had a really bad year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, Davies has been awful since the trade. An ERA of 5 and a WHIP approaching 2. The reality is that Davies was never going to b A factor for us IMO. Why not get someone for him who absolutely will, even if for only half a season? A season that wasn't lost yet.

FWIW, Davies has been awful since the trade. An ERA of 5 and a WHIP approaching 2. The reality is that Davies was never going to b A factor for us IMO. Why not get someone for him who absolutely will, even if for only half a season? A season that wasn't lost yet.

He might not be a factor but he could have been a guy that gets called up to make a spot start or take over a rotation spot while someone goes on the DL.

There is value in that.

Davies is pitching in Colorado Springs which is a very hitter friendly league. He is 22 years old and has been pitching against an average of three years or more older competition his entire minor league career. Before you make ridiculous statements, try basing it off more than a few starts in one of the most pitcher friendly parks and leagues.

He might not be a factor but he could have been a guy that gets called up to make a spot start or take over a rotation spot while someone goes on the DL.

There is value in that.

I'll grant you that, except if our FO saw that potential in him, I don't think we trade him. IMO, Davies was about third down the list this year of guys who could come up and pitch. And as for the future, we can find other guys down the road who have the potential to do the same thing.

And the way he's pitching right now in AAA, do we really want him going up against a MLB lineup? He'd be eaten alive even worse than our current crop.

Davies is pitching in Colorado Springs which is a very hitter friendly league. He is 22 years old and has been pitching against an average of three years or more older competition his entire minor league career. Before you make ridiculous statements, try basing it off more than a few starts in one of the most pitcher friendly parks and leagues.

Not a ridiculous statement at all, as it's not "only" based on a couple starts. I've had this opinion of Davies since he was in Norfolk and pitching well. Also, pitching in the VERY pitcher-friendly confines of Harbor Park surely helped him too.

I'll grant you that, except if our FO saw that potential in him, I don't think we trade him. IMO, Davies was about third down the list this year of guys who could come up and pitch. And as for the future, we can find other guys down the road who have the potential to do the same thing.

And the way he's pitching right now in AAA, do we really want him going up against a MLB lineup? He'd be eaten alive even worse than our current crop.

I'll agree to disagree on that one. I think Dan was a bit desperate and had nearly run out of bullets.

I don't think Davies is the 2nd coming or anything.... but I don't see Parra being much more than they've already got.

It was a bad idea then, it's even worse in hindsight.

I get that you have to find a way to instill confidence in your team when division rivals are trading for actual impact players, but the Orioles were not honest with themselves. I mean... you're going to compete with David Price + Tulowitzki with Gerardo Parra? C'mon, let's be real. We don't have the starting pitching or offense to hang in this division and we didn't really have it then, either.

The only questions to me were these:

1. Could you have gotten more for Davis, Wieters, O'Day and Chen at the break than 4 comp picks? Almost certainly.

2. Is it unreasonable or overly pessimistic to "throw in the towel" only 2 games back in the wild card? Probably.... but look at how many teams you have to leap over and take a gander at your remaining schedule and tell me you felt good about it. I sure as hell didn't.

September could be straight up ugly around here given the schedule. Yikes.

• Upvote 1

Not a ridiculous statement at all, as it's not "only" based on a couple starts. I've had this opinion of Davies since he was in Norfolk and pitching well. Also, pitching in the VERY pitcher-friendly confines of Harbor Park surely helped him too.

Got it. Well, you can have any opinion you like, but you are wrong. Davies will prove you and anyone else who thinks he's fodder wrong. Davies was third down the list because the other guys were on the 40-man roster and deserved their shot before him. That's the way baseball works. Why do you think Milwaukee wanted Davies? The Orioles would have given up Wright or Wilson up in a minute for Parra. I still would have been against the trade since I never thought Parra moved the needle enough on this team, but I'd much rather give up a Wright or Wilson for Parra than Davies.

It was a bad idea then, it's even worse in hindsight.

I get that you have to find a way to instill confidence in your team when division rivals are trading for actual impact players, but the Orioles were not honest with themselves. I mean... you're going to compete with David Price + Tulowitzki with Gerardo Parra? C'mon, let's be real. We don't have the starting pitching or offense to hang in this division and we didn't really have it then, either.

The only questions to me were these:

1. Could you have gotten more for Davis, Wieters, O'Day and Chen at the break than 4 comp picks? Almost certainly.

2. Is it unreasonable or overly pessimistic to "throw in the towel" only 2 games back in the wild card? Probably.... but look at how many teams you have to leap over and take a gander at your remaining schedule and tell me you felt good about it. I sure as hell didn't.

September could be straight up ugly around here given the schedule. Yikes.

I don't think the goal was to compete with the moves that the Jays made (and for all the Jays gave up, their moves better work... though I really wish it would blow up in their faces). I think the goal was more to at least stay in the Wild Card hunt and if we're in the AL East race too in the end, great.

But yes, the team had bigger problems. I wouldn't be surprised if we TRIED to sell but couldn't get as much for Davis, Chen, and/or Wieters as we thought we should. Parra was a decent move, but unfortunately, we have had other problems that have reared their ugly heads even worse than we had seen earlier this season. There was reason to believe at the end of July that MAYBE we could have another run left in us.

Now, there's nothing left in the tank and that is clear. Getting above 75 wins would be pretty surprising to me at this point. A winning record is a pipe dream. But the Parra move won't have anything to do with it, and we gave up a player with little future value IMO.

Got it. Well, you can have any opinion you like, but you are wrong. Davies will prove you and anyone else who thinks he's fodder wrong. Davies was third down the list because the other guys were on the 40-man roster and deserved their shot before him. That's the way baseball works. Why do you think Milwaukee wanted Davies? The Orioles would have given up Wright or Wilson up in a minute for Parra. I still would have been against the trade since I never thought Parra moved the needle enough on this team, but I'd much rather give up a Wright or Wilson for Parra than Davies.

That's part of what makes this game great. Guys prove people wrong all the time. Davies has already gotten much further than most people would have pegged him a few years ago. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to still have him on our side.