David Hess

Frobby

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/19/2017 at 11:13 AM, OrioleRedenbacher said:

Hess with 7 strong innings last night.

Four out of his last five starts have been quality starts ...... in those 5 starts combined (including the one that WAS NOT a quality start), he has had a cumulative 2.59 ERA and 1.117 WHIP.

o

Guy Kendall on David Hess and D.J. Stewart

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/07/kendall-on-david-hess-and-dj-stewart-plus-os-notes.html

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

1 Earned Run, over 7 Innings Pitched.

21 OUTS: ) 5 Strikeouts, 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Flyouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Popouts, 1 Lineout, 1 Out Overrunning the Bag at 2nd Base

DAVID JAMES HESS )))))) (vs. AA-New Hampshire, 8/03)

IP:llll7 

H:llll.5 ll(2 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:lllllll3

ER:llll1

BB:lllll2

SO:llll5

Pitches: 96 )(63 )Strikes, )33 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 4.23 (AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: )l 1.376 (AA-Bowie) )  121.33 IP (167 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .255 (AA-Bowie) )  119 for 467

PITCHES BY INNING

14 lll(81 llStrikes, llllllBalls)

16 lll(71 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

15 lll(91 llStrikes, ll).Balls)

14 lll(12 llStrikes, ll..Balls)

16 lll(12 lllStrikes, lll..Balls)

11 lll(81 llStrikes, llllllBalls)

10 lll(71 llStrikes, llllllBalls)

o

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not as good as OFFNY on the graphics, but Hess threw his third straight quality start last night.  Had a rough first inning, but then threw five scoreless.  4Ks to one walk (with a hit batter).   Gave up 3 hits and 3 runs in the first (including a HR), but only two hits after that.

It's Hess's eleventh quality start on the year, which by my quick search shows he leads the O's high minors (Alex Wells has 14!!).

Some stats from the broadcast last night (verified by Baseball Reference): It was Hess's twelfth straight start going at least five innings.  He's allowed three earned runs or less in 16 of his 23 starts.

3 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I would love to see Hess get some September starts in Baltimore, assuming we're out of the playoff picture.

He hasn't done enough to deserve it, IMO.    I'd rather see him hone his craft in Norfolk next year and have to earn his way to the majors.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He hasn't done enough to deserve it, IMO.    I'd rather see him hone his craft in Norfolk next year and have to earn his way to the majors.   

This makes sense,  although I wonder how much the organization sees a difference in Norfolk and Bowie as far as preparing guys for MLB.  They had no problem allowing Castro to hone his skills in Bowie when they sent him down and put Bundy in Bowie when they knew they'd have to keep him on the 25 man the next year.

16 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

This makes sense,  although I wonder how much the organization sees a difference in Norfolk and Bowie as far as preparing guys for MLB.  They had no problem allowing Castro to hone his skills in Bowie when they sent him down and put Bundy in Bowie when they knew they'd have to keep him on the 25 man the next year.

Bowie is closer.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Probably has to protected this off season from the Rule 5 draft. 

He will not get a call up before Bowie is done in the playoffs.  And probably not after that this year. IMO.

I don't think AA pitcher with an ERA close to 4.00 is worthy of a call-up.    That said, he does have a 2.92 ERA over his last 12 starts.    I agree he'll warrant protection on the 40-man roster and we could see him in Baltimore sometime in 2018.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think AA pitcher with an ERA close to 4.00 is worthy of a call-up.    That said, he does have a 2.92 ERA over his last 12 starts.    I agree he'll warrant protection on the 40-man roster and we could see him in Baltimore sometime in 2018.

He's inconsistent, both him and Means flash 4/5 starter potential regularly. They are more interesting than someone like Barker who is consistently ok, stat lines look similar, but Barker will never wow you.  I like Means better (mostly because 93-95 as a lefty equals a higher floor as a lefty reliever).

Archived