Manny at short

Ori-Al

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck may platoon SS between Machado and Janish in September. Depending on if the starter is a righty or lefty.

I thought I saw that JJ is planning to come back as soon as he is eligible. Already taking groundballs. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Hopefully he shows he can swing the bat when healthy.

I was looking at Janish's baseball reference page. He can't hit at all which is the scouting report, but his glove isn't spectacular either. He's no Brendan Ryan believe me, according to the stats. Just your run of the mill no bat, glove man.

Your Janishes of the world shouldn't be too hard to find. Flaherty isn't really even that far off. Hell I'd rather have Flaherty and I think he'd be a pretty damn good 3B for a rebuilding team to just skate by with while gearing up for the future.

Manny has started two games at SS and the dividends have already showed up. He's made two plays that JJ wouldn't have been able to make.

Game 1: The jump throw in the hole

Game 2: The missile to complete the double play on Keirmaier

The second play in particular was important because without that play we're down 5-0 and still not out of the inning with men on 1st and 3rd.

JJ has saved 4 runs in 93 games this season. He will usually average about 8-10 runs saved over a season.

I'd be willing to bet my house Machado could eclipse that.

Machado is not some lumbering guy who had to play 3B because of size. He's 6'3" 185. Very lean and quick with a strong arm.

You believe Machado is 185? In 2010, perhaps.

At this point, I probably wouldn't move Manny, but I'd be looking for my SS of the future. Hardy's at the age where most SS's either fade away or move to 3B. He's not 2012 JJ Hardy; he's 2015 JJ Hardy.

THIS! I love JJ and agree with Frobby that he has first choice next year. And that's all GREAT with me!!! I want Manny at 3B! He's amazing. Bless his heart, he'd be great at SS. Eventually. But let's face it... he's GD Brooks Robinson at third. I like that.

il_570xN.628276673_s61k.jpg

Archived