"Wow offer made to Davis!" (7 years - $150M Not one nickle more)

wildcard

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the elephant in the room isn't it? Maybe Boras knows PA won't.

Or just does not care.

With deferred money a 7/150 deal could be really more like 7/130-135 in real dollars depending on the amount deferred. My guess is that Boras is pretty confident he can do that or better with CD.

I get his market might not be what he hoped it would be, lets not forget though that the market is always in flux as other guys sign. I suspect there are some teams that have told Boras they prefer other guys but to check back if they can't score said guys like Heyward, Upton etc.

At the end of the day, I think Boras is pretty convinced based on his meeting with GM's that he can get similar numbers or better later so why cave in to an obvious pressure move?

On MLB, Morosi speculates that Davis is waiting on fallout from Heyward's next deal, specifically St. Louis if they miss out. In other words, Boras is waiting for a market besides Baltimore to create a competition which currently isn't there.

Freakin' Morosi...when was the last time he had an original thought?

In all seriousness, it seems reasonable to think that the Davis negotiations have been held up, in part, by the Cardinals' pursuit of Heyward. If St. Louis fails to land Heyward, they'll constitute one of the "mystery teams" for Davis.

In this case the waiting game might be a bad strategy. Davis has a more limited market with the big budget clubs (NYY, LAD, BOS) all having 1B locked in. If the Orioles move on and sign an Upton or Gordon, that is one less team bidding on Davis. If STL is the team that signs Heyward, that takes away another bidder. I would not be surprised to see Davis' price go down the longer Boras waits.

I'm sure Boras is weighing those risks. He's got more insight into this than any of us.

Which would you prefer:

1) Sign Davis for seven years and give up pick #25

2) Sign Fowler (four years) and Alvarez (three years), have more money available four years from now, and give up #14

I believe the Davis pick is more like #30, isn't it?

I don't see Fowler as a guy I'd be inclined to forfeit the pick for. Davis, Upton, and Gordon, yes. Fowler, no. Frankly, I see Fowler as being more of a guy that the Cardinals may turn to if they miss out on Heyward, moreso than Davis. Just my opinion.

I believe the Davis pick is more like #30, isn't it?

I don't see Fowler as a guy I'd be inclined to forfeit the pick for. Davis, Upton, and Gordon, yes. Fowler, no. Frankly, I see Fowler as being more of a guy that the Cardinals may turn to if they miss out on Heyward, moreso than Davis. Just my opinion.

STL still needs a SP too.

Archived