25 Years ago - Jan 10th - Worse Trade in Orioles History

Redskins Rick

Davis resigned here right after the season looking at baseball-reference. Of course he was coming off a poor, injury season. Looks like it was a 2 year deal.

Also we dealt Tettleton that offseason for Jeff Robinson, the next day. I think that was a money move if my memory is correct. Who knows but if Jacobs wasn't using the Orioles for his own financial gain maybe the Davis deal never happens. Robinson pitched poorly and I guess in Hemond's mind replaced Harnisch.

Just looked up Robinsons numbers, his ERA was almost 6 in 1990!!! Didn't remember that.

Davis resigned here right after the season looking at baseball-reference. Of course he was coming off a poor, injury season. Looks like it was a 2 year deal.

Also we dealt Tettleton that offseason for Jeff Robinson, the next day. I think that was a money move if my memory is correct. Who knows but if Jacobs wasn't using the Orioles for his own financial gain maybe the Davis deal never happens. Robinson pitched poorly and I guess in Hemond's mind replaced Harnisch.

Just looked up Robinsons numbers, his ERA was almost 6 in 1990!!! Didn't remember that.

Tettleton for Robinson wasn't the impact of the Glenn Davis deal, but in my mind even less justifiable. Robinson's 1990 was a horror show, 5.96 ERA, upside down K/BB ratio, FIP of 5.77, even though he had a BABIP of .256. Tettleton was a 3-win player, but in the context of the era everyone focused on the .223 batting average and 150 Ks so they flipped him for the worst pitcher in the league.

Trumbo?

Davis was a lot better. Trumbo has never approached eight wins in two years.

Now, if we could only blame it on PA.

Peter most likely signed off on the trade as owner.

But, this trade was the brainchild of Roland Hemond, the GM.

LOL Peter didn't own the team then.

Yet another Angelos apologist.

Just because he didn't own the team yet doesn't mean that he wasn't meddling. He certainly had a hand in it.

What I found interesting is that the (likely) Hall of Fame piece in this trade didn't really blossom until five years later and for yet another team, after screwing his head on straight. And he didn't cement his legacy until playing for yet another team, his fourth.

It's fairly common for HOF-level pitchers to goof around for much of their 20s doing non-HOF-level work. Some of you probably tire of me citing Dazzy Vance, but he literally had zero MLB wins as of his 30th birthday, but was the best pitcher in the NL during his 30s. Sandy Koufax had three separate seasons where he was more valuable than his first six years in the majors, combined. We all know of Jamie Moyer and him being basically discarded by a number of teams in his 20s. Doug Jones ended up with 303 saves despite looking kind of like the guy who fixes your furnace and having 20 innings in the majors prior to his age 30 season. Hoyt Wilhelm debuted a few months shy of 30.

I started a 1992 Orioles franchise in OOTP Baseball and was actually able to trade Glenn Davis to the Dodgers for a young reliever named Pedro J. Martinez. :boogie:

OOTP Baseball, incidentally, endorsed by Curt Schilling.

Schilling is a polarizing figure, but he has enthusiastically played and supported OOTP for quite a few years.

Archived