Season Ticket renewals??

Woody Held

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We will get an interesting lesson in elasticity of demand this season. Ticket prices are up 20%, but will there be a significant attendance drop as a result?

Lets assume that attendance holds firm this year. Do you know what the total gate was for 2015? I'm curious how much the 20% increase would net for the O's?

Lets assume that attendance holds firm this year. Do you know what the total gate was for 2015? I'm curious how much the 20% increase would net for the O's?

Not sure how fair, it is to take about 2015 gate, considering they moved 3 home games to Tampa and they played 1 home game with no fans.

We will get an interesting lesson in elasticity of demand this season. Ticket prices are up 20%, but will there be a significant attendance drop as a result?
The Orioles tell us this is only the third increase in 12 years, but the last increase was two years ago. After the 2012 season, attendance rose 12% in 2013. Ticket prices went up in 2014, and a division championship only saw a 4.5% bump in attendance. Remember, that team was in first for 91 days, including every day from July 3rd to the end. If the team rebounds, then attendance shouldn't suffer significantly. However, if the team fares only as well as they did in 2015, bets are off.

Roch said the average price is going from $25 to $30. Now I don't know if that is just for season ticket holders or individual as well.

Anyway for the sake of argument if they sell 2.3M tickets at $5 more a ticket that is $11.5 M. If attendance reaches 2.5M then that is $12.5M. So there is ballpark number.

The Orioles tell us this is only the third increase in 12 years, but the last increase was two years ago. After the 2012 season, attendance rose 12% in 2013. Ticket prices went up in 2014, and a division championship only saw a 4.5% bump in attendance. Remember, that team was in first for 91 days, including every day from July 3rd to the end. If the team rebounds, then attendance shouldn't suffer significantly. However, if the team fares only as well as they did in 2015, bets are off.

If they have a bad season this will backfire big time. A down year in 2016 will cause a lot of people to not renew.

Not sure where the number came from, but I think I heard they are the 9th most affordable event in either all of MLB or all of professional sports.

Mine went up 20% and I've already renewed. I think my increase works out to about $10/ticket/game.

Depends on what other teams did for 2016 but based on 2015 figures would be 11th highest in MLB.

Last season, the average ticket to an Orioles home game cost $24.97 -- according to data by Team Marketing Report -- which ranked 11th-least expensive among Major League Baseball's 30 clubs. An average ticket price of $30 per ticket, the approximate cost of the Orioles' 2016 tickets, would've ranked 11th-most expensive in baseball in 2015.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-to-increase-ticket-prices-for-2016-season-20160209-story.html

I have not gotten an email.

Me neither and lately customer service has gotten worse.

The increase marks the third time in the past 12 seasons the team will hike prices. The team froze prices last season, a year after hiking prices by an average of 5 percent in 2014.

Most teams don't raise ticket prices during really down years. The Cleveland Browns did not raise ticket prices from 2008 to 2015.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2016/02/09/orioles-raising-season-ticket-prices-by-20-average.html

As usual, I think success will ultimately dictate attendance. If they have a bad season, though, I can't see people spending the money just to have a day at the ballpark.

I think F, G and H are the $8 lots.

To be honest, I have never parked in C, but I have parked in B, numerous times, and paid the price as when I get lucky and get into A.

B/C is $10 to pay cash, but its $8 for season ticket holders who buy them with their package. I've been doing it for 5 years.

Third increase in 12 years? Is that just for season ticket holders. Prices went up in 2006, 2011,2014 and 2016. i guess they claim they did not raise all prices in 2006. Also over the last few years they have started prime games and variable pricing. Prime games raise ticket prices but are not considered in the price increases. Also over the years the Orioles have changed some seats from lower reserved to lower box and upper reserve to upper box. That is also an increase without actually raising ticket prices but making some seats become a higher price based on seat designation.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/01/orioles_raise_singlegame_ticke.html

B/C is $10 to pay cash, but its $8 for season ticket holders who buy them with their package. I've been doing it for 5 years.

Aye, that makes sense, since I usually pay cash, or get a printed ticket with my ticket purchase.

BTW, I have paid cash to park in A lot, it all depends on how early you get there and how full it already is, and if you have the handy handicap placcard.

Roch said the average price is going from $25 to $30. Now I don't know if that is just for season ticket holders or individual as well.

Anyway for the sake of argument if they sell 2.3M tickets at $5 more a ticket that is $11.5 M. If attendance reaches 2.5M then that is $12.5M. So there is ballpark number.

Quick, dirty, and pretty accurate.

Archived