Who's our 5th starter if we don't add anyone else

TeamSchoop6

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MacFarland (and especially Matusz) should start only when absolutely necessary. With Wright, I greatly prefer pitchers who started roughly but quickly improved over those who started hot but soon got rocked. He has potential but needs a little more time.

Britton was a busted starter who became an elite closer. Don't fix what isn't broken. Terry Crowley might hit .300 as a pinch hitter but probably not as a starter.

Worley should get every shot in ST, as should Harvey. I would take a flyer on Fister. Gallardo isn't worth sacrificing the pick for.

It's not DD but Angelos. That's what happens when the owner meddles and ties

the hands of the GM. We've seen this going on for years. IMO

Maybe Worley although I said Wright in an earlier post. I didnt realize he was

being paid 3 million.

Did Angelos tell Duquette to sign Ubaldo to a 4 year deal? Or trade any meaningful starting depth?

It's a very frightening thought if the 2016 rotation is the same as last year, except Vance Worley replaces Chen. How many wins will this team have with that rotation? What if Tillman has another mediocre year? Then we are in trouble. The offense will score 6+ runs nearly every game.

It's a very frightening thought if the 2016 rotation is the same as last year, except Vance Worley replaces Chen. How many wins will this team have with that rotation? What if Tillman has another mediocre year? Then we are in trouble. The offense will score 6+ runs nearly every game.

Yep, going to be brutal as-is. And that assumes no injuries, imagine someone goes down...

Going to be a long season without any other pitching changes.

See: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2015.shtml

Did Angelos tell Duquette to sign Ubaldo to a 4 year deal? Or trade any meaningful starting depth?

All very true.

I would love to know down the road though, if DD was really behind the idea of giving CD 161 million or if he would have preferred to spend the money differently. If he really wanted CD back, then PA being involved in making that happens is simply an owner trying to accomplish this goal for the team. If he had other ideas either before or after CD and Boras turned down the initial offer, then the involvement of PA has a slightly different feel.

All very true.

I would love to know down the road though, if DD was really behind the idea of giving CD 161 million or if he would have preferred to spend the money differently. If he really wanted CD back, then PA being involved in making that happens is simply an owner trying to accomplish this goal for the team. If he had other ideas either before or after CD and Boras turned down the initial offer, then the involvement of PA has a slightly different feel.

To me, that's a super easy one. He wouldn't have signed CD.

I am looking for Tillman and Gonzalez to rebound, Gausman to progress and Ubaldo to do his job.

Tillman 15-6, 3.42 ERA, 200 IP, 33S

Gausman 12-9, 3.57 ERA, 190 IP, 31S

Ubaldo 12-10, 4.11 ERA, 184 IP, 32S

Gonzalez, 10-8, 3.93 ERA, 165 IP, 27S

That leaves 39 starts between Worley, Wright and Wilson. Couldn't tell you who steps forward and who doesn't but I think Buck can get a 4.50 ERA out of them combined. If this happens the O's are a playoff team.

I am looking for Tillman and Gonzalez to rebound, Gausman to progress and Ubaldo to do his job.

That leaves 39 starts between Worley, Wright and Wilson. Couldn't tell you who steps forward and who doesn't but I think Buck can get a 4.50 ERA out of them combined. If this happens the O's are a playoff team.

Looks good to me.

There's only one thing left to do. Tom Berenger can tell you what it is.

I would sign up for that any day. I don't want to come across as a pessimist but I think that is best case scenario (realistically). A slightly more likely turn of events would be add about .5 ERA to everyone's numbers except maybe Gausman. We really need another solid starter.

Archived