Taking a Flyer on Jason Botts?

StunninSteve

Then you dump him and move on to the next guy? Is that such a hard concept when we have no one in his way?

Oh wait, I forgot he's the vinegar to the baking soda of our clubhouse.

How long do we wait before we dump him? He's had 300 abs in the bigs and has done SQUAT. Yet there are people here still clamoring for him. I assume we'd have to give him at least a full season of semi-regular play before we could make any assumptions.

Or- duck radical idea- we could take the word of our talent evaluators and save that roster spot for somebody they think can actually help this club long term.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long do we wait before we dump him? He's had 300 abs in the bigs and has done SQUAT. Yet there are people here still clamoring for him. I assume we'd have to give him at least a full season of semi-regular play before we could make any assumptions.

You mean that thing no one has done yet?

Or- duck radical idea- we could take the word of our talent evaluators and save that roster spot for somebody they think can actually help this club long term.

Like Kevin Millar?

You mean that thing no one has done yet?

Like Kevin Millar?

BTerp, you have had a lot of good posts in this thread but at this point, you mine as well save your breath with this guy.

Even VaTech, someone who doesn't think highly of Botts at all, thinks he should be signed, play a few times a week and see what he can do since we have a terrible bench.

It is a total no brainer.

On the LH/Frank Thomas ball, it was a bad play IMO. You should have seen the looks that Roberts, Mora, and Trembley were giving him. The ball was really slowly hit. LH was thinking about how slow Thomas was (which is true, he would have still been out at first), but he almost killed Roberts by playing it like he did. Roberts had zero chance. I'm seriously surprised he didn't get hurt. IMO, LH basically was afraid to move toward the ball and get it on the previous hop. It wasn't an easy decision to charge it rather than wait, but it is the play I would want our SS to make in that situation. He played it safe rather than going for the win.

I didn't see the play, I was in the car and listening to the OAK feed on XM... their guys said that Mora's E on the previous play was because he *did* charge it, rather than waiting for it to come to him. Dunno if that's true, that's just what they said...

BTerp, you have had a lot of good posts in this thread but at this point, you mine as well save your breath with this guy.

Even VaTech, someone who doesn't think highly of Botts at all, thinks he should be signed, play a few times a week and see what he can do since we have a terrible bench.

It is a total no brainer.

When are you going to learn elementary English ? This is not an expression in that language. It is "might as well":rolleyes:! Talk about having no brain.

Dude...he would've taken at bats away from Millar...and we'll have none of that! :D

I don't know if Botts will amount to anything. He could very well be a AAAA guy who may not amount to anything in the majors. He could, however, be a role player on a good team if he got regular at bats. Right now we don't have a first base prospect anywhere in the system. What would've been the harm in claiming this guy? We could've dropped McCrory back to AAA, put Botts on the team and stick the guy in the lineup for a month. Like SG said, if he looks lost, then you DFA him after the month.

Very well said. He might not be a super star. But, you know what? At this point, I'd take an average to above average hitter.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/050808dnsporangbriefs.3c3a231.html?npc

This is the guy people are supposed to be clamoring for? A butcher at the plate AND in the field.

You fail to take into account what he has going for him: He is not currently a member of the Baltimore Orioles 25 man roster.:rolleyes:

You see it time and again on this board. If a guy is currently somewhere else he's better than what we've got. Cintron's better than Hernandez. House's better than Bako. Apparently, this board has some form of knowledge that 30 teams in major league baseball- who all just passed on Jason "Babe Ruth" Botts- don't possess.

You fail to take into account what he has going for him: He is not currently a member of the Baltimore Orioles 25 man roster.:rolleyes:

You see it time and again on this board. If a guy is currently somewhere else he's better than what we've got. Cintron's better than Hernandez. House's better than Bako. Apparently, this board has some form of knowledge that 30 teams in major league baseball- who all just passed on Jason "Babe Ruth" Botts- don't possess.

JR House may not be better than Bako this year, but JR House, hell, even House from the TV show would have been better than Bako last year.

I disagree with your sentiment though. If you're going nowhere and have dead-end players on your roster sucking up innings, no harm in playing a guy with some potential to see if he can stick.

It's called rebuilding.

Archived