Taking a Flyer on Jason Botts?

StunninSteve

Millar is to Gomez as Botts is to Ortiz? That's a leap even for you. How about why bench a lifetime .826 OPS 1B who is a decent defender cureently hitting .656 OPS with a lifetime .669 OPS DH who can't field any position, because he's currently hitting .699 OPS?

To take the Ortiz/Gomez thing a little further: I don't think it's unrealistic to say that a team of 9 Gomez's would beat a team of 9 Ortiz's. 9 Ortiz's would score a lot of runs but they'd get 27 outs in which to do it. A team of 9 Gomez's facing a team of 9 Ortiz's would get about 45 outs in which to match that production. It's certainly possible that an All-Gomez team would win.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Millar is to Gomez as Botts is to Ortiz? That's a leap even for you. How about why bench a lifetime .826 OPS 1B who is a decent defender cureently hitting .656 OPS with a lifetime .669 OPS DH who can't field any position, because he's currently hitting .699 OPS?

Because he isn't a current Oriole! Duh! You're so dense El Gordo.

Because Millar is 36 and will be gone after the year is over. Unless we've signed Tex somehow without anyone knowing it on May 8th, we have no 1B next year. Not even a back-up 1B... Moore could be one... but Botts could be one too.

Why not find out????

Because Millar is 36 and will be gone after the year is over. Unless we've signed Tex somehow without anyone knowing it on May 8th, we have no 1B next year. Not even a back-up 1B... Moore could be one... but Botts could be one too.

Why not find out????

I am still waiting to hear some kind of logical and intelligent reason to this question. I guess I haven't heard it because it doesn't exist?

I am still waiting to hear some kind of logical and intelligent reason to this question. I guess I haven't heard it because it doesn't exist?
The only logical and reasonable argument against getting Botts and giving him a bench role would be that someone would rather see Moore in that role. If they don't have room for either on the team right now, it'd be hard to get both on there. So if you can only have one, choosing Moore over Botts isn't unreasonable.

I think they could fit both though and find about 3 starts a week for each of them. They'd just have to do something crazy like go with a 12 or, gasp, 11 man pitching staff.

I wouldn't get Botts and hand him a starting role, but I would like to give him a decent opportunity to show what he can do. If he gets hot, then expand his role.

This is the big point. We keep talking about rebuilding, yet folks don't want to take a chance on a guy like Botts who could be more valuable to this team than Bob McCrory right now.

What is the harm in putting a waiver claim on the guy, putting him on the roster, and moving McCrory back to AAA? The answer....there is none!

Give Botts a month or 2 of at bats. If he fails, we release him. If he hits, we keep him.

Its not very complicated at all.

The only logical and reasonable argument against getting Botts and giving him a bench role would be that someone would rather see Moore in that role. If they don't have room for either on the team right now, it'd be hard to get both on there. So if you can only have one, choosing Moore over Botts isn't unreasonable.

I think they could fit both though and find about 3 starts a week for each of them. They'd just have to do something crazy like go with a 12 or, gasp, 11 man pitching staff.

I wouldn't get Botts and hand him a starting role, but I would like to give him a decent opportunity to show what he can do. If he gets hot, then expand his role.

For me, it's a couple of reasons in the following order:

1) Botts isn't a good player. He's terrible defensively and at his peak, which he's currently in, he's MAYBE a 750 ops guy. He's a far worse version of Jay Gibbons in his prime. He isn't a long term soloution in any sense of the word and even his current value is pretty miniscule.

2) Scott Moore is a better player and before I go giving roster spots to mediocrities outside of the org. I'd give one to Moore. He can, imo, hit every bit as well as Botts at the ML level and provide adequate defense at a few positions.

3) There will be other guys exposed to this same process throughout the year. Marte was almost waived the other day. I'd rather save the roster spot for when a better player becomes available or give it to Moore, and hopefully, eventually Reimold, than let Botts get 300 abs to show what I already know: He isn't that good.

I hope that is clear enough.

This is the big point. We keep talking about rebuilding, yet folks don't want to take a chance on a guy like Botts who could be more valuable to this team than Bob McCrory right now.

What is the harm in putting a waiver claim on the guy, putting him on the roster, and moving McCrory back to AAA? The answer....there is none!

Give Botts a month or 2 of at bats. If he fails, we release him. If he hits, we keep him.

Its not very complicated at all.

Rebuilding isn't synonomous with "right now", is it? I'd just thought I'd check because that seems to be the mentality around here.

Rebuilding isn't synonomous with "right now", is it? I'd just thought I'd check because that seems to be the mentality around here.

But the rebuilding is going on right now..So, because of that, you can afford to give guys like Botts a look...Guys who cost you nothing..Guys who aren't clicking anyone and guys who have had a lot of professional success.

You act as if we can't help the team in the middle of the season....Even if you think Botts is going to suck, WHAT HARM IS THERE IN FINDING OUT???

1) Botts isn't a good player. He's terrible defensively and at his peak, which he's currently in, he's MAYBE a 750 ops guy. He's a far worse version of Jay Gibbons in his prime. He isn't a long term soloution in any sense of the word and even his current value is pretty miniscule

Which makes him our best bench player and one of the better offensive players on the team.
2) Scott Moore is a better player and before I go giving roster spots to mediocrities outside of the org. I'd give one to Moore. He can, imo, hit every bit as well as Botts at the ML level and provide adequate defense at a few positions.
We have room for both Botts and Moore.
3) There will be other guys exposed to this same process throughout the year. Marte was almost waived the other day. I'd rather save the roster spot for when a better player becomes available or give it to Moore, and hopefully, eventually Reimold, than let Botts get 300 abs to show what I already know: He isn't that good.
If better talent comes along, you just get rid of Botts...The Rays picked up Dan Johnson recently and then traded for Gabe Gross, a guy they felt was beter for them...They dropped Johnson immediately.

Again, this isn't rocket science. Not that hard to figure out.

But the rebuilding is going on right now..So, because of that, you can afford to give guys like Botts a look...Guys who cost you nothing..Guys who aren't clicking anyone and guys who have had a lot of professional success.

You act as if we can't help the team in the middle of the season....Even if you think Botts is going to suck, WHAT HARM IS THERE IN FINDING OUT???

No kidding. But RIGHT NOW we are rebuilding, which is the time you take chances.

I understand this; I really do. I guess I should turn the table on you guys a bit: Why do you want Jason Botts on this roster over Scott Moore?

I understand this; I really do. I guess I should turn the table on you guys a bit: Why do you want Jason Botts on this roster over Scott Moore?

I don't...Moore provides more versatility and has a better chance of being here long term.

However, Moore isn't here right now and it doesn't seem like he will be anytime soon.

Plus, i think we have room for both of these guys.

Archived