Taking a Flyer on Jason Botts?

StunninSteve

JR House may not be better than Bako this year, but JR House, hell, even House from the TV show would have been better than Bako last year.

I disagree with your sentiment though. If you're going nowhere and have dead-end players on your roster sucking up innings, no harm in playing a guy with some potential to see if he can stick.

It's called rebuilding.

It is amazing to me that anyone would be against adding a guy who has always been successful in the minors for nothing more than a waiver claim.

It amazes me that anyone who has watched this team have the worse bench and pinch hitting in baseball for years, would be against adding a guy like Botts for free.

It just tells me that certain people just don't care about the little things this team has failed so miserably at for years...Either they don't understand the significance or just don't care...Either way, they are completely wrong.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is amazing to me that anyone would be against adding a guy who has always been successful in the minors for nothing more than a waiver claim.

It amazes me that anyone who has watched this team have the worse bench and pinch hitting in baseball for years, would be against adding a guy like Botts for free.

It just tells me that certain people just don't care about the little things this team has failed so miserably at for years...Either they don't understand the significance or just don't care...Either way, they are completely wrong.

And they accuse people like us for playing "fantasy baseball" when they themselves are in a fantasy world where they think the small things don't matter.

I don't think they want controversy in the dugout over playing time. I honestly believe this is a conscious policy on the part of management.They only wan 9 or 10 guys who can really do anything.

That's the only reason I can think of for this team having absolutely nobody on the bench who is capable of doing more than filling in for a game or two. It's been that way for years and years.

JR House may not be better than Bako this year, but JR House, hell, even House from the TV show would have been better than Bako last year.

Bold statement. So I guess you think catcher's typically get better in their late thirties? I guess we better extend Hernandez now.

I disagree with your sentiment though. If you're going nowhere and have dead-end players on your roster sucking up innings, no harm in playing a guy with some potential to see if he can stick.

It's called rebuilding.

I know what rebuilding means. I think a lot of people on this board don't though- particularly some who were calling for it the loudest last year. Rebuilding means playing 23 yo shortstops instead of finding stop gap soloutions, doesn't it? (Particularly if said 23 yo ss is outhitting 22 yo CF who know one ever dares criticize, even when he makes the same mistake, like, I don't know, getting picked off at a critical time in a close game.) Rebuilding means evaluating what you have before shipping it off for the sake of "filling a hole" on a 68 win team. Rebuilding means playing veterans in some cases when you want to protect your kids. Don't talk to me about rebuilding; I know more about than it seems a lot here do.

By the by, the Texas Rangers are rebuilding. Yet, Botts wasn't good enough to stick with them and I'm certain they know more about him than the armchair GMs here do. I wonder why that was?

And before you say it, because I know it, the Texas Rangers aren't exactly an exemplarary org. to follow. Then why didn't the Twins pick him up? They're rebuilding too. Or the A's?

Maybe it's because there are better ways to evaluate a player than a computer.

Rebuilding means playing veterans in some cases when you want to protect your kids. Don't talk to me about rebuilding; I know more about than it seems a lot here do.

Pickles, what kids are we protecting by playing Millar, Huff and Mora and L. Hernandez game after game after game w/o even trying anybody different?The Orioles have absolutely nothing in their farm system at first, third or short to protect or to bring up. So why not try Botts?

And before you say it, because I know it, the Texas Rangers aren't exactly an exemplarary org. to follow. Then why didn't the Twins pick him up? They're rebuilding too. Or the A's?

Maybe it's because they have better options. Botts would be a potential upgrade for us however. We can afford to bench a guy like Millar to find out...

Bold statement. So I guess you think catcher's typically get better in their late thirties? I guess we better extend Hernandez now.

Bako is having a crazy fluke year so far. Likely he'll revert back to his .600 OPS self. But no, I don't think saying House would have been better than Bako last year is a bold statement. Hell, there's still plenty of time for House to be better than Bako this year, even though Bako has a .927 OPS.

I know what rebuilding means. I think a lot of people on this board don't though- particularly some who were calling for it the loudest last year. Rebuilding means playing 23 yo shortstops instead of finding stop gap soloutions, doesn't it? (Particularly if said 23 yo ss is outhitting 22 yo CF who know one ever dares criticize, even when he makes the same mistake, like, I don't know, getting picked off at a critical time in a close game.)

Wait, so a .561 OPS is better than a .631 OPS? How is Hernandez outhitting Jones? And what does that even mean? Do you honestly think Hernandez will be better than Jones? :confused:

Rebuilding means evaluating what you have before shipping it off for the sake of "filling a hole" on a 68 win team. Rebuilding means playing veterans in some cases when you want to protect your kids. Don't talk to me about rebuilding; I know more about than it seems a lot here do.

Not when there are MiL players available for next to nothing, and can play in the place of dead-end vets.

By the by, the Texas Rangers are rebuilding. Yet, Botts wasn't good enough to stick with them and I'm certain they know more about him than the armchair GMs here do. I wonder why that was?

Who cares what Texas does. Or Min, or OAK. They have different needs and philosophies. I look at the O's and they have a 36 year old 1B with a .659 OPS who is gone after the year. Maybe Botts can be a guy who factors into the team next year. Isn't the small chance worth taking when you're headed nowhere?

Rebuilding is trying to find the future, whether it is through making trades or picking up guys off the waiver wire.

I don't think they want controversy in the dugout over playing time. I honestly believe this is a conscious policy on the part of management.They only wan 9 or 10 guys who can really do anything.

That's the only reason I can think of for this team having absolutely nobody on the bench who is capable of doing more than filling in for a game or two. It's been that way for years and years.

No it's about defense, Trembley doesn't want anybody on the team who can't (in his eyes) play the field.

Trembley would rather have a team of guys like Chris Gomez than David Ortiz.

I know what rebuilding means. I think a lot of people on this board don't though- particularly some who were calling for it the loudest last year. Rebuilding means playing 23 yo shortstops instead of finding stop gap soloutions, doesn't it? (Particularly if said 23 yo ss is outhitting 22 yo CF who know one ever dares criticize, even when he makes the same mistake, like, I don't know, getting picked off at a critical time in a close game.) Rebuilding means evaluating what you have before shipping it off for the sake of "filling a hole" on a 68 win team. Rebuilding means playing veterans in some cases when you want to protect your kids. Don't talk to me about rebuilding; I know more about than it seems a lot here do.

Luis Hernandez is not outhitting Adam Jones. They are both struggling but Jones' OPS is roughly 70 points higher. Even if LH was outhitting him, it wouldn't matter much. Adam Jones was a highly regarded prospect and his history shows he has the ability to hit and will most likely hit at the major league level eventually. He has the potential to be a star. Luis Hernandez's history shows that he is extremely unlikely to hit anywhere because he has never done it, not in any league at any age. That is the difference and it is huge.

There is absolutely no reason a team like the O's with a weak bench and a weak lineup in general should not take a chance on a player with Botts minor league resume and limited major league experience. This is especially egregious when you consider that we have a 13th pitcher we don't use and could have easily made room for him.

Pickles, what kids are we protecting by playing Millar, Huff and Mora and L. Hernandez game after game after game w/o even trying anybody different?The Orioles have absolutely nothing in their farm system at first, third or short to protect or to bring up. So why not try Botts?

How about protecting the pitchers. That's what this year is about, in case you haven't noticed. You don't build up young arms by putting Cintron or Torress behind them at ss. You sure don't build the young arms by putting Botts in LF or 1st. And since I know the next comment is that he dh's, then you don't protect the young pitchers by putting Huff at 1st or 3rd. You don't protect pitchers by making them scared to pitch to contact, which is exactly what happens when you put a poor defensive team behind them.

Sorry, risking that to get Bott's AAAA production in here does't seem a good idea to me.

Luis Hernandez is not outhitting Adam Jones. They are both struggling but Jones' OPS is roughly 70 points higher.

Luis Hernandez has a higher batting avg. and a higher obp. than Adam Jones. That's a fact.

How about protecting the pitchers. That's what this year is about, in case you haven't noticed. You don't build up young arms by putting Cintron or Torress behind them at ss. You sure don't build the young arms by putting Botts in LF or 1st. And since I know the next comment is that he dh's, then you don't protect the young pitchers by putting Huff at 1st or 3rd. You don't protect pitchers by making them scared to pitch to contact, which is exactly what happens when you put a poor defensive team behind them.

Sorry, risking that to get Bott's AAAA production in here does't seem a good idea to me.

What is worse... losing a little bit of defense here and there or knowing your offense will only get you 4 runs on a good night and pressing too hard to be perfect?

Your argument can go either way. Yes, the best plan is to get well-rounded players, but when they are clearly good hitters, and you desperately need offense, getting a guy like that makes sense to me.

Luis Hernandez has a higher batting avg. and a higher obp. than Adam Jones. That's a fact.

That is true but what does it matter? Do you think this will be the case in a month? The end of the year? Next year?

Luis Hernandez is a bum. He's never hit in the minors. Adam Scott is one of the best young prospects in the majors.

Because LH is "outhitting" Jones on May 8 literally means nothing.

You don't give LH the chance, whether you are rebuilding or not, simply because he has never earned it.

How about we insert Nettles as our starting third baseman? I mean, he is 29 and a career MiLer but hey, you never know...maybe he can be something!

In fact, let's send Markakis down and bring up Matt Angle to start...I mean, if we aren't going to look at obvious past history(as some don't want to do with LH), why not do it for everyone!!!! :rolleyes:

No it's about defense, Trembley doesn't want anybody on the team who can't (in his eyes) play the field.

Trembley would rather have a team of guys like Chris Gomez than David Ortiz.

Millar is to Gomez as Botts is to Ortiz? That's a leap even for you. How about why bench a lifetime .826 OPS 1B who is a decent defender cureently hitting .656 OPS with a lifetime .669 OPS DH who can't field any position, because he's currently hitting .699 OPS?

Archived